Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*THROWS OPEN DOORS* Happy Fiesta New Year!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8, 4:58pm

Post #1 of 38 (347 views)
Shortcut
*THROWS OPEN DOORS* Happy Fiesta New Year!!! Can't Post

A hearty Happy New Year to one and all! Our Dear Altaira has been called away with RL demands; but we'll raise a glass of cheer and well wishes to her and B.G!

I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas and Holiday Season. During this special time of the year, lets grasp this moment to celebrate and remember our loved ones, the year that was, and the one that has appeared at a full gallop! Hang On!!!

Do you have a New Year's resolution? Plans for the coming year? Be sure to include things that make you smile or happy at least once a day :D

I wish you all a glorious, prosperous, healthy and happy New Year! I thank TORn and all of you for the best times of my life! *warm hugs to all*

What can I get you to drink to set the New Year in motion? Help yourself to goodies!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Jan 8, 5:10pm

Post #2 of 38 (315 views)
Shortcut
Happy new year to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

and my best wishes to all for a MUCH MUCH better year than the one we've just been through!

I'm heartened by finding out that I'm in the next group for roll-out of the vaccine because I live in a multigenerational home with someone who is over 70. So sometime by the end of the month I'll be able to relax a little about my gregarious 96-year-old Dad who walks right up to people and talks to them even if they aren't masked. I have had to physically get in front of him or grab him by the arm and drag him backwards, or run past him as he's going to answer the door, yelling "MASK!" because he has forgotten . . . I tell you, if I manage to get him safely through this pandemic it'll be a miracle. Fortunately people in our town have been very good about masking & social distancing and our positivity rate is still low.

So I would like an Angel Mist with an extra shot of Bailey's please gramma!

I am giving two lectures by Zoom this month and it's got me applauding the teachers who are teaching classes all week long by Zoom - it's so much work!

Switched the red and green to blue and green lights over the garage for our Seahawks . . . the whole street has got their colors up! We can't go be the 12th Man in the stadium but we can cheer in other ways.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 8, 5:11pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8, 5:17pm

Post #3 of 38 (310 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Veggies and dip! [In reply to] Can't Post

*munches* Thank you, gramma, and a Happy New Year to you! Might I have a cappuccino, please?

For this coming year, I'm being optimistic, and have made reservations for a couple of get-aways for this summer: a long weekend on Martha's Vineyard, and a week near Acadia National Park, my two vacations that had to be cancelled this past year. I'm in the 1-B vaccination wave for my state, so I should be all set by then.

What about you, gramma? Have you got some get-togethers planned? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8, 5:22pm

Post #4 of 38 (309 views)
Shortcut
Great lighting idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that, switching out the seaonal colors for team colors! Cool

Your Dad has been doing amazingly well for his age, to say he keeps you on your toes is an understatement. Will be such a relief once you can get the vaccinations.

How large an audience are you expecting for the Zoom lectures?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8, 5:38pm

Post #5 of 38 (309 views)
Shortcut
ooooo! Great News! [In reply to] Can't Post

After everything you've done the past year to contribute and aid in Covid... it's perfect that you're going to get moved up on the list :D AND what a relief for protecting your Dad!! Lights and Zoom and Shots (vaccine and Bailey's) are all over the place for you! Best of everything, m'dear! Hang in there :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8, 5:47pm

Post #6 of 38 (309 views)
Shortcut
Two Getaways?!? Perfect :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez... I'm so glad you've got these trips to look forward to. Especially with Winter in full gear and waiting for your vaccines. *high five* I hope hubby and you get through all of this with no problems :)
I don't know where I am in the list of shots/vaccine. While I'm over 65, I'm in good health and am already low on the line-up. I'm looking at March at the earliest. The shots are going out very slowly, so I've even heard of a possible June date. I can't wait!!!

So until I know when I'm getting my shots, I'm not making plans. We're looking at me getting to Baltimore some time in the Summer if all goes well. My g'son is graduating from Iowa University this May, so knowing we won't be able to gather and celebrate is quite a bummer. There's a chance hobbity, Bill and I will go and get his furniture and other items from the Iowa apt after his 2 roommates and he leave and store it here at my place. We'll see.
I hope you have an awesome weekend... and STAY WARM! :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8, 6:01pm

Post #7 of 38 (311 views)
Shortcut
He graduates This Year? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, where does the time go! Is he able to make future plans yet? I do hope you're able to get down there!

*sips* Thank you, gramma! I'd like some snow on the ground to go with this cold, but most of it melted in a few warm days last week. But I have seen some lovely photos of snow on a deck and birds feeding while flakes flutter down...courtesy of silneldor, who's having a proper snowfall in North Carolina this morning. Smile

Keep yourself and your furry friends warm!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 8, 7:29pm

Post #8 of 38 (313 views)
Shortcut
It's starting to get into 'proper summer' here [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'll start the day with cheeky mimosa, please gramma.

The day started in fog as I'm in Waitomo, in the central North Island, but it's burning off already ahead of a hot day. Back in October my brother and SIL got me a voucher for zip-lining in the Waitomo Caves, so I'm cashing it in today - and they're joining me. Smile Should be fun! Although sharing a bathroom with two adults is bringing back memories of chdhood as the youngest of seven ... Crazy

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone! Cheers!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Annael
Immortal

Jan 8, 7:44pm

Post #9 of 38 (301 views)
Shortcut
my plan [In reply to] Can't Post

is to keep the white lights up for January, add in some red for February . . . it stays dark here that long, and February's usually a blah month anyway. A lot of people around us put lights up when the lockdown started last spring, and it just seems appropriate to keep them up until we can all get out again.

I'm not sure. 60 to a 100 folks perhaps.

The first one you have to pay for and will only be of interest to Jungians. But if anyone wants to hear me talk about how "heroic" methods of social activism only backfire, and how being more like a heroine works better. that will be through the East Shore Unitarian Church on January 24.

https://esuc.org/

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 8, 7:47pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 8, 8:51pm

Post #10 of 38 (293 views)
Shortcut
Happy New 'counting year'! [In reply to] Can't Post

I forget who mentioned that, but it's right up there with palindromic dates for novelty. I'm just counting the days... until spring, of course! I had to remove the Christmas wreath from my uncle's grave this morning (I look after it for my cousin who's in Switzerland) and the little green noses of the daffodils I planted were all coming up, which is a cheering sight.

That's a very tasty-looking virtual buffet but I've snacked far to much recently, so will content myself with nibbling on a few veggies and grapes. If only it was as easy to do that in real life! As for drinks, I've just finished off the remnants of something called 'Smugglers Rum Shrub'. Waste not want not, but a bit bland - for a spirit I have to say I prefer scotch.

The weather forecast said we might have snow today; a few flakes drifted lazily down this afternoon, but absolutely nothing to get excited about - mostly rain and sleet. My grandsons are very disappointed. As I was saying to a friend online earlier, where we live is great for seaside, countryside, easy access to cities or to Wales - but as far as snow (and surf) is concerned, it sucks. We can't even go on a day trip in search of snow, as we're in lockdown. Ah well, winter's not over yet, we may see some between now and March.
Stay warm, folks - or cool, depending on your hemisphere! - and stay safe. Covid numbers are really going up here; we're not out of the woods yet, although vaccinations are getting going, thank goodness. Cheers!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8, 10:33pm

Post #11 of 38 (291 views)
Shortcut
Zip-lining? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the caves? Does that sound like fun! Cool Let us know what it's like!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8, 10:49pm

Post #12 of 38 (288 views)
Shortcut
Daffodils? [In reply to] Can't Post

Already! They're hardy little things.

A dusting or more of snow just feels "right" when it's cold out. We've got only leftover mounds from the plows, and dry grass elsewhere. Sleet is not pleasant!

We'll be taking the decorations down this weekend, have you taken yours down yet? What's the latest plans of your knitters' group?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9, 12:48am

Post #13 of 38 (289 views)
Shortcut
zipping up a cave!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez that sounds like fun! :D I'm glad you're finally enjoying some great summer weather. I always like foggy starts (when I don't have to drive in them). I'm imagining living in a cloud. I giggled at your childhood flashback! Funny what triggers those things ;)
Have a wonderful weekend... and HANG ON TIGHT!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9, 12:55am

Post #14 of 38 (289 views)
Shortcut
Here you go again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a lockdown Scotch to help you through the long day. I saw you got caught on it again; but hopefully with the vaccine finally getting there, this will be the last time :) I envy you your seaside ;) So I hope you can get there soon.
Hang in there, m'dear... and have a creative weekend!!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9, 3:42am

Post #15 of 38 (280 views)
Shortcut
An adventure! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a way to experience the caves! Hope it went well - and you didn't frighten the glow worms :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 9, 7:29am

Post #16 of 38 (287 views)
Shortcut
Fricking exhausting, to be honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an amazing experience: one zipline and one Tyrolean line within the cave itself, learning how to use caribiners and safety lines, seeing deep into this amazing cave with a river at the very bottom ... but then we had to climb out. And climb. And climb.

I overheated, and I've got an ice-pack on my hip to try to calm it down. But I have amazing memories from the day!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 10, 12:01am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 9, 1:52pm

Post #17 of 38 (259 views)
Shortcut
It's an early variety of mini-daff called 'tete-a-tete' [In reply to] Can't Post

and is very tough and reliable. I'm a fan! We have lovely bright sunshine today and I'm told snow on the Welsh hills can be seen in the distance - not from my house, sadly; houses with a view across to Wales are way above my budget! The knitting group has taken down all the woolly decorations we put up, mostly pom-poms; they've been washed and are being stored for future use. Stored yarn from the central stash has been handed out and people are getting on with their own little projects, knitting various things for charity and keeping in touch by email. A few of our members don't even do email. We're managing, though!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 9, 1:59pm

Post #18 of 38 (262 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou, I'll save that until sundown! [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter has been with me this morning - that's okay in lockdown as it's a 'support bubble'. I had found some damp in things stored in the loft, so the boxes full of her past - school work etc - have been dragged down for her to go through and sort into 'store properly' and 'discard'. (It's about time, she's 44!!) I hope a lot less will be going back up there in due course!
I'm not so sure about visiting the seaside at the moment; we've been told to only exercise near our homes. Two women who drove just five miles to walk by a reservoir in Derbyshire were pounced upon by police and fined £200 each! We're treading very carefully...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9, 3:11pm

Post #19 of 38 (254 views)
Shortcut
If you're not used to constant climbing [In reply to] Can't Post

that can really aggravate the joints! It would be nice if they could work out some kind of bucket lift in there...

But good to know that the experience was well worth it!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9, 3:20pm

Post #20 of 38 (255 views)
Shortcut
Wow... this will help [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your hip behaves!!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9, 3:23pm

Post #21 of 38 (256 views)
Shortcut
200?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard they were going to fine people; but wow!
And I also hear you on going through your daughter's storage with her. I still have storage of my daughters' too! *sigh* I laugh when they both say they don't have room to store the stuff! Say wha???

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 9, 3:24pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 9, 5:19pm

Post #22 of 38 (252 views)
Shortcut
Derbyshire police have been much criticised [In reply to] Can't Post

for their heavy-handed interpretation of the rules - the fine is now under review.

Daughter is making good headway actually, what she does with marginal keep/throw out items is photograph them so she has a record of them before sending them on their way. I'm impressed, actually! She needs another session to deal with the rest of it, including school/Uni paperwork, but her degree was in graphic design so any info she has kept will be seriously obsolete by now.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 9, 8:32pm

Post #23 of 38 (234 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of tobagganing. [In reply to] Can't Post

A winter attraction managed by the local park system in greater Cleveland is a pair of tobaggan chutes: refrigerated tracks, 700 feet long, straight with a 70-foot initial drop (vertically it's approximately 45 feet from top to bottom). The toboggan is a simple wooden sled with a curved front (best known to many from Calvin and Hobbes or perhaps Home Alone) that seats four. The experience is exciting, like riding a simple winter roller coaster at speeds exceeding 40 miles per hour. But first the toboggans, which are not light, have to get to the top of the hill. A few years ago they installed a mechanized lift system to haul them up, but for most of my life, the riders themselves had to carry them many flights of stairs. Exhausting work!

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 10, 12:08am

Post #24 of 38 (232 views)
Shortcut
Pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

There were very few glowworms (they were mostly on a lower level, nearer to the river) but there were the usual stalactites (seen in this photo along the top of the arch - I thought they were overhanging ferns at first).

Then there's the obligatory "Look Ma, no hands!" shot, and one taken "as we leave the cave" (and still have a forest climb ahead).

It was an amazing experience but I'm determined that my next action-adventure will be done while sitting down. Tongue

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10, 1:37am

Post #25 of 38 (219 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those stalactites do look like ferns.

Well done for surviving a very *active* adventure!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.