The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
There and back again to NZ and Australia--a belated trip report

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Dec 29 2020, 10:02pm

Post #1 of 6 (2269 views)
Shortcut
There and back again to NZ and Australia--a belated trip report Can't Post

As I recover from my triple bypass surgery of 10 weeks ago, I thought I'd share my recollections of my trip to New Zealand and Australia of November and December of 2019. I condensed this from a much longer report so no TLDR comments please!

My family and I departed for Los Angeles on 15 November 2019 to spend a few days at Disneyland and other SoCal spots. We departed LAX on 19 November aboard Air New Zealand"s premiere flight to Auckland landing there about 7 AM on 21 November. [I was expecting to see the Lord of the Rings safety briefing but alas only saw the All Blacks safety briefing!] We then made our way to our condo near the Queens Wharf. we rested for a couple of hours and then bought tickets for the Hop On/Hop Off tour of Auckland. Major things we saw were Parnell Rose Guard, the War Memorial Museum, St. Luke's shopping centre [it was interesting to see how Kiwi's celebrated the Holidays from all the warm weather outfits displayed], MOTAhT [Museum of Transportation and Technology], and the Sky Tower. We hopped off at the Sky Tower where we bought tickets for the elevator (lift) to the observation decks where we had a fantastic view of Auckland. We then went back to the condo to rest and eat for the evening. The next day we went to Devonport, a beautiful community near Auckland and then on to MOTAT to satisfy my son's interest in all modes of transportation and technology.

The next day (23 November) was embarkation day aboard Holland America's Noordam. This was our fourth cruise with HAL. [First--on the Veendam in 2006 to the western Caribbean--Key West, Guatemala, Belize, Mexican Playa de Sol; Second--on the Westerdam in 2011 to Alaska to Seattle, Juneau {Mendenhall Glacier and dog sled experience}, Hubbard Glacier, Ketchikan [lumberjack show and Klingit village experience} and Victoria BC {Butchart Gardens}; and Third the Eurodam in 2014 to the Baltic Sea departing from Copenhagen--Tallin, Estonia; St, Petersburg, Russian {The Hermitage, Peterhof, Folkloric show, Katharine's palace--amber room, St Issac's cathedral, Church of the Spilt Blood}, Helsinki, Finland {Porvoo and horse farm}, Stockholm. Sweden {Roiyal Palace, Vasa Museum, Sigtuna}, Rostock to Berlin, Germany {the Wall, Brandenburg gate, Tiergarten}, Kiel, Germany {five lakes tour, Malente, Eutin, and Ploen, back to Copenhagen {Tivoli Gardens, Little Mermaid}]

We boarded the Noordam and were off to our first port of call (POC)--Tauranga where we had a choice between going to Hobbiton or Rotorua for the vulcanism tour but of course we went to Hobbiton. I wish i could share pictures of it but we saw the highlights--the hobbit holes, 3 Bagshot Row [with the fake tree above it], the party grounds, and of course the Green Dragon and then it was back to the ship. The next POC was Napier (with its art deco buildings)--highlights were a visit to a sheep farm with the sheepherding and sheepshearing demonstrations, a visit to Te Mata mountain (reminds me of the Superstition Mountains in AZ), and finally the honey farm. The next POC was Wellington where we took the Lord of the Rings tour to the scenes in the park where the hobbits encountered the Nazgul, the Shortcut to Mushrooms, and the hiding from the Nazgul were filmed. Then it was off to WETA Studios where we saw all the phases of film production. I was disappointed we didn't get to go to the WETA Cave though. And finally to the top of Mount Victoria where we got a fantastic view of Wellington. The next POC was Picton where we boarded a bus to Blenheim where we boarded a small scale train to the Omaka Air Museum to see the WW One exhibit called Knights of the Sky about all the aircraft used in WWI from both sides of the war.
The next POC was Akaroa where we boarded a bus to Edoras [Mt Sunday]. Our tour guide was Barry Thompson who was head of security for the Lord of the Rings trilogy and main investigator for the happenings in Heavenly Creatures. Mt Sunday was fantastic, I just wish they'd have left Edoras and Meduseld there. Our next POC was Dunedin where we saw seals and penguins in the wild. This was the last land-based POC in NZ. The next day was scenic cruising of Fiordlands National Park. We visited three sounds but especially Milford Sound--one of the most beautiful sights I've seen on Earth!!

We then had two days at sea. While aboard ship there was a string quarter plus one from Lincoln Center in NYC. I wore my hobbit costume while they played a suite of music from LotR!! I gave them a bottle of prosseco for their efforts!! I really enjoyed the music on the Noordam especially the group from Lincoln Center and the Billboard lounge!

The next three POC's were in Australia. First was Hobart, Tasmania, where we went to the Bonorong Wildlife Center [Saw koalas, Tasmanian Devils, wombats, and kookaburras], a sheep station with herding and shearing demonstrations, Mt. Field National Park with it's fantastic Russell Falls. Next was a day at sea before going to Melbourne where we went to Fitzroy Gardens and to the Shrine of Remembrance [since it was soon after Remembrance Day this was an especially moving emotional experience]. Then another day at see to our final destination of the cruise, Sydney. There we took the Hop On/Hop Off tour of Sydney and visited the Opera House and had great views of that beautiful city. We boarded our plane back to St Louis the next day via Auckland and LAX. We were exhausted!! I highly recommend Holland America Lines--very professional and caring staff--Indeed Savor the Journey. Food was delicious!!

I'm so glad we took this cruise when we did knowing now of the COVID-19 raging in the world today and especially with my heart attack happening when it did. I feel blessed to have done this voyage, to see Atearoa and Australia with all the beauty these countries have. My only disappointments are that I didn't see the Southern Cross, nor the Greater and Lesser Messier clouds.

I hope you all enjoy this short trip report albeit belated

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 30 2020, 4:22pm

Post #2 of 6 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all this - and best wishes for your recovery! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
"You were exceedingly clever once, but unfortunately none of your friends noticed as they were too busy being attacked by an octopus."
-from How To Tell If You Are In A J.R.R. Tolkien Book, by Austin Gilkeson, in 'The Toast', 2016 https://the-toast.net/...-a-jrr-tolkien-book/

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Dec 30 2020, 4:27pm

Post #3 of 6 (2216 views)
Shortcut
That should read Greater and Lesser Magellanic Clouds [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by elf_wannabee on Dec 30 2020, 4:29pm)

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Dec 31 2020, 6:08am

Post #4 of 6 (2194 views)
Shortcut
Corrections [In reply to] Can't Post

We left from St Louis where I live and returned there.
It's MOTAT not MOhTAT or MOThAT.
And somewhere I spelled SEA SEE!
Oh I misspelled Tallinn.
There are probably more errors. Forgive me!

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Dec 31 2020, 6:23am

Post #5 of 6 (2191 views)
Shortcut
And I misspelled Aotearoa. Forgive me Kiwis! [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2021, 1:14pm

Post #6 of 6 (347 views)
Shortcut
I'm late responding, but happy for you nonetheless :D [In reply to] Can't Post

How I hope you're feeling better! I've known several people who had that surgery and ultimately feel so improved. I hope that's where you are :)

I'm SO envious of your trip! WOW! I didn't stay in Auckland at all... running from the international airport to the regional for Wellington. The flight along the western border of the North Island was great, but I imagine a cruise would give you so much more time to enjoy those beautiful shores and mountains.

Wasn't Hobbiton surreal? What I so appreciated was there was no apparent PA system piping in music or announcements. There weren't even any tracks on the paths leading through the town. It was so easy to get lost in the magic of the Shire :)

What a bummer you didn't get to see the LotR safety briefing on your flight. It's a long haul from LAX to NZ, so getting that tickler really gets you set up for the oncoming fun!

Your family and you will warm yourselves on this amazing adventure for the rest of your lives. How wonderful that you could share this together :D

FEEL BETTER!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.