Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the holiday reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Asgardian

Dec 29 2020, 7:23pm

Post #1 of 7 (189 views)
Shortcut
It's the holiday reading thread! Can't Post

And no, I'm not taking a holiday from posting the reading thread, I just never noticed that it was Tuesday. Blush Too much pumpkin pie, probably, and too much anticipation of the end of 2020.

I'm still listening to Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave and am nearing the end. It's an amazing novel that happens to be a fantasy. And a tragedy. And history becoming legend becoming myth....

Our own Aunt Dora Baggins happened to mention Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather as an appropriate seasonal story, and I realized I'd never read it. Boy, have I missed out on some good material---and I say that knowing that anything Pratchett writes is going to be brilliant, funny, and profound all at once.

HO. HO. HO. Laugh

Yes, this means I've passed over my usual custom of never listening to one book and reading another in the same genre, but both books are fantasy only in the same way an apple and a tomato are both fruit. Each is delicious, but each has its own unique flavor and texture.

So what have you been reading as you enjoy all the holidays that occur this time of year and yet at the same time stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Dec 29 2020, 7:51pm

Post #2 of 7 (178 views)
Shortcut
Rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [In reply to] Can't Post

After two library books that I couldn't finish, I opted for a book that's an easy read and I know I enjoy.

I still cry when Ron sits down to take his socks off to put onto Dobby's feet.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Asgardian

Dec 29 2020, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 7 (175 views)
Shortcut
A misleading title, but still an interesting read in Smithsonian [In reply to] Can't Post

Mary Katharine Goddard, the Woman who Signed the Declaration of Independence
She only "signed" it as the printer (she owned a printing company), but her life was pretty interesting.

From other news:
A Pompeiian fast food counter.
I liked the visual advertising part too: "archaeologists uncovered a number of still life scenes, including depictions of animals believed to have been on the menu, notably mallard ducks and also a rooster, for serving up with wine or hot beverages."

Annael
Avenger

Dec 29 2020, 8:37pm

Post #4 of 7 (174 views)
Shortcut
Re-read Hogfather [In reply to] Can't Post

it's turned into an annual thing. I also have the dramatization with Lady Mary . . . er, Michelle Dockery . . . as Susan Sto Helit. The best live-action Pratchett adaptation imho.

Just started "The Book Thief," another book with Death as a main character! Christmas/birthday presents equaled lots of new books! I got the graphic novel of the first part of "Dune," for one. Bit disappointed their Duke doesn't look like Oscar Isaac Tongue

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Dec 30 2020, 12:14pm

Post #5 of 7 (158 views)
Shortcut
You have two of my favourites there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the Merlin trilogy - The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment - and the follow-up, The Wicked Day. Mary Stewart's descriptive powers are considerable - she evokes the period and landscapes so well. As for Pratchett, it's all been said I know, but I love his work. The Hogfather is brilliant festive season reading, humorous but with really gritty touches to salt the porridge, so to speak.

Lily Fairbairn
Asgardian

Dec 30 2020, 3:37pm

Post #6 of 7 (150 views)
Shortcut
We're going to watch the adaptation tomorrow // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Hasuwandil
Fantastic Four

Dec 30 2020, 3:54pm

Post #7 of 7 (152 views)
Shortcut
The Great Tales [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently finished Unfinished Tales (all except for the first part), and am now working my way through the Three Great Tales of the First Age. I'm reading them in chronological order, and am about halfway through Beren and Lúthien so far.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.