Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Good riddance to 2020: what are you watching or planning to watch pre-New Year?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 27 2020, 5:22pm

Post #1 of 56 (533 views)
Shortcut
Good riddance to 2020: what are you watching or planning to watch pre-New Year? Can't Post

Maybe I was scarred for life by Airplane 2 (ok, not really), but I was highly skeptical that Zombieland: Double Tap could be as funny as the original. Surprise! It was, and it didn't recycle all the same jokes and plot points. I had a lot of fun with it, and even the obvious plot hints about what would happen still left me wanting to see how things would play out.

I finished the LOTR movies and remain surprised at how they still evoke the same emotions in me. For Pete's sake, I know Gandalf doesn't really die!!!! But I still got a knot in my stomach when he fought the Balrog and when the hobbits were crying over him after they escaped Moria. And this round of viewing, I really wished that at the end when Frodo's ship leaves the Grey Havens and the screen turns white, that should be have the end of the movie. Sacrilege, I know. But It just hit me emotionally that it should end there, and it would be a cinematically beautiful ending. I'll probably have a different opinion on my next viewing.

So, what have you been or what will you be watching?

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2020, 10:33pm

Post #2 of 56 (452 views)
Shortcut
I still miss the Scouring of the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

but I totally understand why it was left out. What a shame they didn't have something on the special disc featuring 'what happened next' - a girl can dream! I would really love to have seen those hobbits go home, roll up their sleeves and kick some serious @ss... As for what I'll be watching imminently, I haven't caught up on what's on offer on tv yet - keep getting side-tracked - but I do think it's high time I watched the trilogy again. Apart from that... well, I completely missed out on the 'Frozen' phenomenon so far and that's on tv on Tuesday so I might have a look at that to see what all the fuss was about! It's probably the closest I'll get to snow this winter.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 28 2020, 3:49am

Post #3 of 56 (441 views)
Shortcut
The Scouring of the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, the early death of Saruman makes the possibility of the Scouring of the Shire happening off-screen seem pretty remote. And it just wouldn't be the same without Sharkey and Worm anyway.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

ďPeople should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.Ē - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

cats16
Valinor

Dec 28 2020, 9:42am

Post #4 of 56 (427 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to be very cognizant of what my last movie of X year/first movie of Y year were, but I've let that go by the wayside recently. Anymore I just tend to watch as much as I can squeeze in before the year's gone!

I've been going through some more of Yasujiro Ozu's films. I will never tire of his work.

Recently I watched Wim Wenders's Until the End of the World, a ~5 hour, 5 continent road movie for the ages. I wasn't super captured by it until the last 90 minutes, at which point the movie becomes something quite different, in an interesting way.

If anyone is looking for a great double feature set around New Year's, I might recommend Holiday (Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn) and The Apartment. I might have to watch at least one of them again in the next couple of days. The Apartment is such a beautiful movie about very lonely people--a theme that, while watching, I realize so few films adequately touch upon. Holiday captures a different kind of loneliness (being in love with the wrong person) but is nevertheless a wonderful movie that deserves more remembrance.

As for LOTR, I'm due to rewatch the trilogy but have promised my girlfriend we would watch together, so I must wait!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Dec 28 2020, 9:44am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 28 2020, 10:22am

Post #5 of 56 (421 views)
Shortcut
I've just come back from watching Wonder Woman 1984 [In reply to] Can't Post

and unfortunately it was unfocused, over-long and boring. If they'd just focused on Kirsten Wiig's character I think the story could have been salvageable. A huge pity as I'd been looking forward to this movie since the trailer was released.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 28 2020, 12:17pm

Post #6 of 56 (417 views)
Shortcut
Me too (no spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was shown at a drive-in theatre about an hour from my home on Saturday night. I'm as frustrated with this as I was the sequel to Fantastic Beasts, if not moreso. Steve was great, though :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 28 2020, 12:36pm

Post #7 of 56 (415 views)
Shortcut
Working on my marathons [In reply to] Can't Post

I've finished The Hobbit and LotR. Like you said, I had the very same emotions watching LotR as I always have had during these many years. Sobbed at the end and feeling a bit melancholy, but in a homesick kind of way. It absolutely holds up.

I interrupted my run to go see WW1984. As I responded to Ataahua's post, I was not impressed.

Today (Monday) I start on my Harry Potter marathon... assisted by Potter-esque foods :)
After that will be the Marvel Movie Marathon.
Then maybe DC. I'll at least finish up with DC's Wonder Woman original. Gotta get that bad taste out of my brain.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 28 2020, 4:22pm

Post #8 of 56 (407 views)
Shortcut
Frozen is enjoyable [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched it back in the day to try to understand all the lingering hype over it and have some modern-day cultural literacy. I thought it was OK, and when you hear little girls break into a spontaneous chorus of "Let it go!," you'll understand what motivated them.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 28 2020, 4:24pm

Post #9 of 56 (408 views)
Shortcut
Soul, WW84, and Bridgerton [In reply to] Can't Post

Soul was pretty good. The first two acts meandered all over the place, but the third act mostly redeemed the whole thing, I felt. Not my favorite film from Pixar by any means (I actually liked Onward more, but that's for deeply personal reasons, so I'm a little biased), but still very good and worth a watch.
Wonder Woman 1984 was...meh. After how good the first film was, I expected something much stronger. I liked most of the main performances, some of the action, and the third act was definitely far stronger than the first film's - but overall, this was a bit disappointing.
And Bridgerton...well, it was compelling, I'll give it that. But those costumes...ugh. Despite being set firmly in the Regency Era, the costumes were mostly Victorian and Gilded Age inspired, with some 18th Century French styles thrown in for good measure (the Queen of England dressing like Marie Antoinette was...certainly a choice). And of course all the hairstyles were completely and obviously modern. That being said, I adored the character of Eloise, and hope she has more to do in future seasons (and doesn't get married off, preferably!)

"Good-bye, my dear Bilbo! Until our next meeting."
- Gandalf

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 28 2020, 4:26pm

Post #10 of 56 (405 views)
Shortcut
You had me at Grant and Hepburn [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the mood for an old movie with great actors. Thanks for the suggestions.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 28 2020, 4:29pm

Post #11 of 56 (406 views)
Shortcut
Your marathons sound fun [In reply to] Can't Post

If there weren't a pandemic, you could charge entrance fees and $20 per bag of popcorn, and you'd have your own little business going for a week. That's a lot of great cinema to be enjoying this time of year!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 28 2020, 4:38pm

Post #12 of 56 (404 views)
Shortcut
RE: WW84 and Edgerton [In reply to] Can't Post

Shame to hear that WW84 isn't raising the bar after the 1st movie. I thought the 1st one dragged at times but was redeemed by its good moments (remember the intimacy discussion in the boat? charging the German trenches?...). Now I'm pretty sure I'll wait to stream WW84 so I can fast forward when needed. Oh well, maybe they'll do better on the next one.

Edgerton: I was hoping for something reasonably similar to Downton Abbey, but I know that Shonda Rhimes takes liberties with details and yeah, I only lasted about 30 minutes. I didn't care about the diverse casting, it was just how "off" so many details were that they were distracting and lifted me out of the era. If you're going to do a period piece, then, uh, stick to the period? But it looks like a lavish production, and I'm sure people who watch more than 30 minutes of it will find more positive qualities than I could.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 28 2020, 4:47pm

Post #13 of 56 (402 views)
Shortcut
Wonder Woman [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
remember the intimacy discussion in the boat? charging the German trenches?

Do I ever! Those are some of my favorite scenes in any superhero movie. I do appreciate and respect that Patty Jenkins wanted to take some risks with the sequel, try something a little out of the box...but in the end, it didn't feel particularly risky to me. Just a bit average - and definitely far too long, for such a thinly sketched-out story.

- Gandalf

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2020, 6:47pm

Post #14 of 56 (396 views)
Shortcut
Spoilerish Bridgerton Question..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming you know the series (if not don't read the rest)

I don't have Netflix and can't get to my daughter's house right now and am trying not to look things up on the internet as that usually gives way more info than I want. I know the books up down and sideways so can't really be spoiled.

But my inquiring mind wants to know......

How in the world is Julie Andrews...Lady Whistledown.... or are they just having a voice over?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 28 2020, 7:48pm

Post #15 of 56 (388 views)
Shortcut
Just finished watching Years and Years [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always a bit behind the times, but I'm catching up on a few things now that I have better access to streaming.
Years and Years manages to blend the very ordinary with the terrifying, as incremental societal and political changes become a totally believable snowball ride to facism in the UK. If there is any other person in the world who hasn't already seen it, I recommend it highly.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 28 2020, 7:59pm

Post #16 of 56 (385 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tip! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't heard about this one.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 28 2020, 8:03pm

Post #17 of 56 (385 views)
Shortcut
I had two moments of joy *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Steve's delight and wonder at the modern world, and WW's invisible plane! *glee*

And I'm glad I got to see Kirsten's dramatic acting chops - she really is good, just not seen enough in this movie.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 28 2020, 8:14pm

Post #18 of 56 (381 views)
Shortcut
I would be interested to hear what you think [In reply to] Can't Post

Only six parts, so get cracking. Laugh

cats16
Valinor

Dec 28 2020, 8:22pm

Post #19 of 56 (377 views)
Shortcut
I've seen a a lot of disappointment online [In reply to] Can't Post

The reasons vary, but the conclusions seem quite similar to yours.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Dec 28 2020, 8:24pm

Post #20 of 56 (376 views)
Shortcut
If you have cable... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe it's watchable at the moment via TCM on demand. You'd just need to sign in with your cable provider and find it on their site. Also on the Criterion Channel, which is my go-to. :)

Let me know what you think, if you end up watching!

P.S. One more of the "old movies with great actors" category that just came to mind: The Women by George Cukor, starring Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Norma Shearer and more. It's a great comedy that moves 100 jokes per minute, like His Girl Friday. Also its cast is solely comprised of women, which makes it a breath of fresh air considering it is from 1939. Like Holiday, I was sad for this movie to have to end.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Dec 28 2020, 8:29pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 28 2020, 8:46pm

Post #21 of 56 (377 views)
Shortcut
Yes, just a voice-over [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read the books, but having watched the whole first season of the show I believe I understand why that would be a surprising casting without context.

- Gandalf

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 28 2020, 9:04pm

Post #22 of 56 (375 views)
Shortcut
I've said before on TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

that I'm disappointed they didn't use the actual fairytale, which had an unbelievable amount of Girl Power to spare considering the times (1844). Not only do you have Gerda struggling to rescue Kai instead of the other way around, but you have the Little Robber Girl who befriends her and critical aid from two Wise Women - the Lapp Woman and Finn Woman. It's really just about as progressive and female empowering as a fairytale can get.

It's practically begging for an actual major adaptation.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2020, 2:59am

Post #23 of 56 (351 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for clearing that up// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 29 2020, 3:02am

Post #24 of 56 (350 views)
Shortcut
And sorry I called it Edgerton, which just muddies the discussion. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 29 2020, 3:19am

Post #25 of 56 (356 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Disney and Girl Power [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently watched Lilo & Stitch, mainly for cultural literacy. I enjoyed it more than I thought because it was more adult than I expected: orphaned sisters in Hawaii struggling to survive as a family emotionally, financially, and legally, with no magical powers to fall back on, and their alien companion is more trouble than help. Anyway, one reviewer pointed out that Disney has lots of princesses but aside from Frozen, not many princesses with realistic sister relationships, which had never jumped out at me before.

With all that as context, this was a good article comparing Frozen and Lilo & Stitch from 2002. (I was more interested in the comparison than worrying which was "best.")

Now I'll have to look up the original fairy tale behind Frozen, because I usually appreciate source material, and you make it sound pretty remarkable for its time. And I also need to have an antidote after watching a Youtuber complain that The Expanse has "too many" strong women, and he hates patriarchy-smashing. Just when you think it's the dawn of 2021, you hear someone talk like a caveman.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.