Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Forge of Empires

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 24 2020, 8:00pm

Post #1 of 5 (186 views)
Shortcut
Forge of Empires Can't Post

Now that I am retired I have more time to do things I hadn't had time for. My wife used to play Farmville. I liked the concept and thought it would be interesting for the medieval era. I see Forge of Empires is pretty popular but I don't like that it evolves into futuristic time. Does anybody here play these sort of things? If so, could you recommend one that is suited for a low tech person like me or is Forge the only game in town?

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 27 2020, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 5 (148 views)
Shortcut
I'd recommend SimCity instead [In reply to] Can't Post

I've played Farmville and Forge of Empires. Farmville was fine but I just lost interest. Forge of Empires, on the other hand, got very tedious and has serious restrictions in what you can build and accomplish. There are people who play it long-term and enjoy it, so I would still say give it a try if it appeals to you, but I felt stuck in a muddy swamp, making very little progress, and then looking at the advanced cities, I didn't see much to look forward to. An unpublicized aspect of Forge of Empires is that other players can raid your city and steal your much-needed production goods, and there's no way to turn that off, you just have to build an army and hope yours is bigger, and of course if the raiders have laser guns and you have clubs, you're out of luck.

I haven't played SimCity for awhile, but it's much more flexible in game play and gives you a better sense of making progress in building your city, plus there are virtually unlimited ways to personalize your city. I for one LOVE parks and put them everywhere. I wouldn't have survived SimCity without finding the cheat code to have unlimited money, however: running a city within a budget is tough work, and I want to build, build, build! But anyway, you don't need the cheat codes, you just need patience, because I've played it without cheats and enjoyed it that way too.

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 29 2020, 2:38am

Post #3 of 5 (129 views)
Shortcut
SimCity [In reply to] Can't Post

SimCity sounds like something worth checking out. I'd only be interested if there is a medieval city in it. Is there? From your post about Forge and from the 20 minutes that I just spent in it, it's starting to look like it's not for me. I still need to give if more time. I'll like it better if I learn how to navigate it. I don't have any experience with these kinds of things so am like a babe in the woods for now. Thanks again for your help.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 29 2020, 3:00am

Post #4 of 5 (127 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know, Simcity is present-day to futuristic [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say that the point of playing Forge is to progress from the Stone Age to futuristic ages, so your city there won't stay medieval for long.

I was a little surprised myself that with all the gamers out there loving fantasy, which usually means medieval, there aren't many options for building a medieval city, but I did come across this one (click here) you might give a try. (I wouldn't say there are NO medieval sim games, just that that there aren't many prominent ones. Or, they limit you in what you can build. I have played some in the past that I've forgotten--because they were forgettable.)

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 30 2020, 12:31am

Post #5 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
Looks great [In reply to] Can't Post

My first reaction to this game by Polymorph is that it is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you so much for posting it. I'm not sure if I'll feel the same way once I start it but the link you posted makes it sound perfect for me. I dropped the Forge thing. The more I played and the more I learned about it, I soon realized I just wasn't crazy about it. Thanks again for the info. I'll check this other one out. I looked at SimCity but Polymorph seems to be more my style. Thanks again.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.