Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Merry Christmas everyone!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 24 2020, 5:51pm

Post #1 of 23 (404 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas everyone! Can't Post

It's a bit past dawn in NZ on Christmas Day and it looks like we're getting a fine but cool day where I am.

Wherever you are in the world, whoever you're missing around the Christmas table or how different from usual your celebration will be this year, I hope you find a way to make this day special and enjoyable. And when you get to the 25th, post a message here and let's make Christmas last for more than one day. Smile

Meri Kirihimete! Cheers!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 24 2020, 6:05pm)

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 24 2020, 7:12pm

Post #2 of 23 (356 views)
Shortcut
long celebration [In reply to] Can't Post

I start celebrating Christmas in early November and don't stop until mid January. Everything is green here on Lake Erie for the moment but it's supposed to start snowing within an hour or two so we're definitely going to get a white Christmas. It's kinda magical that the snow is starting on Christmas Eve. It's just like being in a book or movie. Merry Christmas everybody!

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 24 2020, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 23 (353 views)
Shortcut
My annual wishes for my friends on TORn. [In reply to] Can't Post

May the Valar bless us all with:

Bilbo's charm
Thorin's majesty
Thranduil's elegance
Frodo's steadfastness
Sam's loyalty
Pippin's resilience
Merry's good nature
Aragorn's patience
Gandalf's intelligence
Legolas's grace
Gimli's sturdiness
Boromir's redemption
Eowyn's courage
Eomer's vitality
Theoden's second chance
Faramir's honor
Galadriel's wisdom
Arwen's compassion

Heart

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2020, 8:04pm

Post #4 of 23 (348 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all TORnsibs have the best Christmas they can, however they spend it. I'm one of the lucky ones, I'll be with close family for part of the day, and it's set to be cold but sunny. A possible frost in the morning is the closest we'll come to a white Christmas. I do yearn for a little snow - but not too much! We're not set up to deal with it in this part of the UK; it's such a rare occurrence that if ice and snow arrive, so does chaos. I think snow and skid pan training should be an obligatory part of learning to drive, though I don't know how that could be arranged.
As a festive mathom, here's a collection of Christmas cracker jokes I found online. Prepare to groan! I do struggle with no.17, but can't think of a witty line for antlers...
1. What does Santa suffer from if he gets stuck in a chimney? Claustrophobia! 2. What do they sing at a snowman's birthday party? Freeze a jolly good fellow 3. Why does Santa have three gardens? So he can 'ho ho ho'! 4. What does Miley Cyrus have at Christmas? Twerky! 5. Knock, knock Who's there? Arthur Arthur who? Arthur any mince pies left? 6. What do vampires sing on New Year's Eve? Auld Fang Syne 7. Why did Santa's helper see the doctor? Because he had a low "elf" esteem! 8. What happened to the man who stole an Advent Calendar?He got 25 days! 9. What kind of motorbike does Santa ride? A Holly Davidson! 10. What do you get if you cross Santa with a duck?A Christmas Quacker! 11. What is the best Christmas present in the world?A broken drum, you just can't beat it! 12. How did Scrooge win the football game?The ghost of Christmas passed! 13. Who delivers presents to baby sharks at Christmas?Santa Jaws 14. Who is Santa's favorite singer? Elf-is Presley! 15. What do Santa's little helpers learn at school?The elf-abet! 16. What did Santa say to the smoker? Please don't smoke, it's bad for my elf! 17. What do reindeer hang on their Christmas trees? Horn-aments! 18. Why are Christmas trees so bad at sewing? They always drop their needles! 19. Did Rudolph go to school? No. He was Elf-taught! 20. Why did the turkey join the band? Because it had the drumsticks!
21. What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire? Frostbite! 22. What do snowmen wear on their heads?Ice caps! 23. How do snowmen get around? They ride an icicle! 24. What song do you sing at a snowman's birthday party? Freeze a jolly good fellow! 25. How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizzas? One that's deep pan, crisp and even! 26, Who hides in the bakery at Christmas? A mince spy! 27. What do you call a cat in the desert? Sandy Claws! 28. What does Santa do with fat elves? He sends them to an Elf Farm! 29. What did Adam say to his wife on the day before Christmas? It's Christmas, Eve! 30. How many letters are in the Christmas alphabet? 25. Thereís "no EL"! 31. What carol is heard in the desert? O camel ye faithful! 32. What do angry mice send to each other at Christmas? Cross Mouse Cards! 33. What athlete is warmest in winter? A long jumper! 34. What do you get if you eat Christmas decorations? Tinselitis! 35. What's the most popular Christmas wine? 'I don't like Brussels sprouts!' 36. What did the beaver say to the Christmas Tree? Nice gnawing you! 37. Why are Christmas Trees like bad knitters? They keep loosing their needles! 38. What do you get if you cross a bell with a skunk?Jingle Smells! 39. What do you call a bunch of chess players bragging about their games in a hotel lobby? Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer! 40. What's green, covered in tinsel and goes ribbet ribbet? Mistle-toad! 41. Which famous playwright was terrified of Christmas? NoŽl Coward! 42. What is the best Christmas present in the world? A broken drum Ė you just canít beat it! 43. How do you know if Santa is really a werewolf? He has Santa claws! 44. What did the stamp say to the Christmas card? Stick with me and we'll go places! 45. Why did no one bid for Rudolph and Blitzen on eBay? Because they were two deer! 46. What does the Queen call her Christmas Broadcast? The One Show! 47. What did Father Christmas do when he went speed dating? He pulled a cracker! 48. Why don't you ever see Father Christmas in hospital? Because he has private elf care! 49. How did Mary and Joseph know that Jesus was 7lb 6oz when he was born? They had a weigh in a manger! 50. Why is it getting harder to buy Advent calendars? Because their days are numbered!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 24 2020, 9:44pm

Post #5 of 23 (349 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to all celebrating. [In reply to] Can't Post

It won't be a normal Christmas for anyone doing the right thing, but we can all still stay connected with the technology of Facetime and Skype.

On this holiest of nights for Christians, let's remember the miracle of Christ's birth, with Mary having the same hopes and dreams for him as any mother, and Joseph accepting him as his earthly father.

Merry Christmas to our Australasian and Asian Tornsibs who are already into Christmas Day.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2020, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 23 (350 views)
Shortcut
Meri Kirihimete! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many good wishes to all.

It's fine but cool here, too. I went for a run first thing when I had the world to myself, and came back feeling refreshed (well, after a shower :))

Lamb for dinner is in the oven (we tell the pet sheep it's yam), after marinating in spices for a couple of days. Lunch will be fishcakes and savoury pancakes with dipping sauce, eaten out in the garden. Baroque Christmas music fills the air, and a relaxing day is ahead.

Speaking of sheep: our oldest girl, Lambkin (yes, I know, but she was such a dear little lamb and the name stuck) got her Christmas wish and got into the orchard while the others stood about outside it looking disconsolate. We left her there in her triumph, for her Best Day Ever. One very happy old sheep.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 24 2020, 11:27pm

Post #7 of 23 (341 views)
Shortcut
Happy Yuletide! [In reply to] Can't Post

The temperature was warm here for this time of year, but it's beginning to approach freezing this evening. We're expecting a heavy snowfall for Christmas with Lake Effect dropping a foot or more of the white stuff on us by the end of Saturday.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

ďPeople should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.Ē - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 25 2020, 3:04am

Post #8 of 23 (333 views)
Shortcut
LOL! That is such a cute picture in my head. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lambkin (yes, I know, but she was such a dear little lamb and the name stuck) got her Christmas wish and got into the orchard while the others stood about outside it looking disconsolate. We left her there in her triumph, for her Best Day Ever.

Even a sheep can have a Christmas miracle. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 25 2020, 5:20am

Post #9 of 23 (327 views)
Shortcut
Santa [In reply to] Can't Post

As I type this it is 20 minutes past midnight here on Lake Erie. I always stay up until midnight and listen for bells. I didn't hear any. I did hear a little clanging so I'm heading into the living room to see if Santa dropped off those LOTR replica swords. Wish me luck.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2020, 10:24am

Post #10 of 23 (312 views)
Shortcut
Since my grandsons became mobile [In reply to] Can't Post

my replica of Sting has been safely tucked away in a high cupboard, not on display, sadly. The younger of the boys I wouldn't trust anywhere near it - it's really sharp! I ordered it online and it arrived marked as a 'hunting knife' - goodness knows what the postman thought. Enjoy your day, I hope Santa obliged!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2020, 2:31pm

Post #11 of 23 (308 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been pouring buckets here in New England, the snow is nearly gone. Few power outages around here, fortunately!

We're enjoying various breads and music (love Mannheim Steamroller!). Christmas dinner will be jambalaya. What are you all planning?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2020, 2:34pm

Post #12 of 23 (310 views)
Shortcut
LOL, what a sight that is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lambkin munching away happily while the rest look on in longing! Laugh

Savoury pancakes? What do you put in them, and what kind of sauce are they dipped in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 25 2020, 6:30pm

Post #13 of 23 (301 views)
Shortcut
In place of Fiesta, Merry Christmas all! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a fine, cool day here too! Not a cloud in the sky. A few patches of snow still linger in the shade from our last snowfall, so we have a reminder, at least, of a white Christmas.

B.G. and I will be feasting on leftovers from our Christmas Eve tenderloin roast, and after that, on the Christmas pudding while we watch the cricket.

*kicks Fiesta juke box* here a song for you that gives me chills every time I hear it because of how many wonderful Christmases I've spent here in beautiful, Colorful Colorado (with apologies to anyone in LA): Colorado Christmas by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

The closest thing to heaven on this planet anywhere
is a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow.

- Telluride, Colorado

--You know who - Dec 26 Smile

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 25 2020, 10:23pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2020, 7:26pm

Post #14 of 23 (291 views)
Shortcut
Pictures of happy [In reply to] Can't Post

(and disgruntled) sheep here.

The pancakes are remarkably simple to make, but have a lovely texture and are really tasty. Flavoured with sesame oil and spring onions (scallions, I think you call them), while the dipping sauce is soy, rice vinegar, freshly grated ginger and a little chilli pepper, along with more spring onions. Japanese-inspired, and fun to make and eat.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 25 2020, 8:54pm

Post #15 of 23 (282 views)
Shortcut
Very fond wishes to all at TORn! Merry Christmas!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ettelewen
Rohan

Dec 25 2020, 9:34pm

Post #16 of 23 (279 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to all!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Dec 25 2020, 11:09pm

Post #17 of 23 (277 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the three in my household are celebrating by ourselves, yesterday was a pretty constant parade of people coming by to drop off gifts and wave hello and shout "TO A BETTER YEAR IN 2021!" so that felt very "connected." I ordered out Christmas dinner from a local hotel and they gave us so much food we ate less than half of it, so leftovers galore. Watched the Alistair Sims "A Christmas Carol" and listened to music. I'm just back from a walk (just in time, the rain is starting) and in another hour I will be Zooming and playing Jackbox games with three other family households. So . . . all in all, a pretty sweet Christmas. Hope yours was too!

Envious of those who have snow! We got some earlier this week but it didn't last.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 25 2020, 11:20pm

Post #18 of 23 (277 views)
Shortcut
Are we talking sheep here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it's that time of year down under, and my recent experiment with cell phone telephoto seems appropriate for the season. All is peaceful here, a bit of rain but also lots of nice fresh grass for those who enjoy it. I hope you and your families are well as well wherever you may be.

Season's greetings and best wishes to all TORN friends on every thread in every land.

Liss

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2020, 12:51am

Post #19 of 23 (266 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to all! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2020, 7:04am

Post #20 of 23 (255 views)
Shortcut
A Very Merry Christmas to Everyone :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Dec 26 2020, 10:06am

Post #21 of 23 (248 views)
Shortcut
A Tale of Two Nativities.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello KWE, hope you Christmas'ed well. Glad someone acknowledges the true reason and meaning for the holiday season. Decades of commercialization, buy stuff now, red tag sales, Black Friday sales projections have overshadowed the spiritual religious importance of the day. A humble weary couple in the ancient Middle East desperately searching for and finding a safe haven so the pregnant mom could deliver her son. and so the story and the mission began. Sometimes Hollywood gets these things right and I offer two very different takes on the Nativity from two wildly different films, Ben Hur (1959) and The Bible TV mini series/Son of God (2014) which reformatted the Jesus parts from TV into a feature film. Music really drives both of these scenes, composed by cinema soundtrack giants. You may have seen them, they're enjoyable to re-live, or if not perhaps they may whet your appetite for the main body of work:

Ben Hur (1959) music by the incomparable Miklos Rozsa who won the Oscar for his compositions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuQ8lAi8Pg

and

The Bible/Son of God (2014) music by another titan of the biz Hans Zimmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S42szZFGmZw

Hope you find them enjoyable and inspiring in these challenging times, best wishes and good health to you, the OneRing and us all.

The 13th Warrior - The Left Field Caliphate

Happy Holidays, Merry Xmas, Happy New Year's Coming Up

cats16
Valinor

Dec 26 2020, 11:21am

Post #22 of 23 (240 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas, everyone! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 27 2020, 5:00pm

Post #23 of 23 (176 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I self-isolated for the day but had plenty of phone calls plus a Zoom call to keep me busy, and I'd ordered some nice filet mignon a couple days before which made a great meal. It rained all day in Boston and melted all the snow, so it was a grey Christmas, but I'll take rain over drought, and also rain over snow, since shoveling the foot we got a week prior was plenty of work, and rain almost never needs shoveling.

I hope everyone is still enjoying playing with the presents even if they've eaten all their candy already. Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.