Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit - Production Chronicles

Eruonen
Wakandian

Dec 21 2020, 1:30am

Post #1 of 3 (1695 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit - Production Chronicles Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtTerurPtQ

Not sure if I saw this one. Note comment -

"li Gallagher
1 week ago
As it happens, Tolkien never lived near The Beatles. The Beatles were in Liverpool and then London, Tolkien was living in Oxford. When Tolkien says "Beatle group", I believe he's merely using it as an expression for "Beatle-like-group" or simply "Rock group". The Beatles not only never lived in Oxford, but they certainly never lived together! As both a Beatles and Tolkien fan, I find the connection fascinating. But I do believe the only real connection was them pitching the film."

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 21 2020, 1:34am)

Chen G.
Defender

Dec 22 2020, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 3 (1615 views)
Shortcut
I don't even believe there was a connection [In reply to] Can't Post

The story about Tolkien having turned the Beatles down from producing a Lord of the Rings adaptation comes from Sir Paul McCartney's memories.

However, the best account of the project comes not from McCartney but from their producer at the time, Denis O'Dell and he's entirely mum on the notion of Tolkien himself shutting down the project: he just says that he couldn't get a "star" director involved - having tried Sir David Lean, Stanley Kubrick and Michaelangelo Antinioni - and that the band members eventually lost interest.

Indeed, it seems unlikely that Tolkien would have said no, because he was already neck-deep into selling the rights to United Artists, a deal which would conclude shortly thereafter. I doubt he even knew that UA were planning on producing for the Beatles.

When John Boorman was commissioned to adapt the books in 1969, the idea of the Beatles starring was still around - I believe that's why Boorman's script has so much singing - and its possible that their breakup (which only became known in 1970) led to the death of Boorman's production.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 22 2020, 6:48pm)

Eruonen
Wakandian

Dec 22 2020, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 3 (1604 views)
Shortcut
All I can say is that a huge bullet was missed in those early ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

I am also glad that Del Torro did not complete The Hobbit - though some of his plans made sense - I just did not like his attitude about fantasy, some of his designs and possibly the feel of the film as hinted at......though Jackson has some well deserved criticism I do understand the time crunch and studio pressures.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 22 2020, 10:54pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.