The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Nature of Middle-earth book release

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 19 2020, 10:39pm

Post #1 of 6 (718 views)
Shortcut
The Nature of Middle-earth book release Can't Post

Great news! The blurb says these are unpublished writings from. Tolkien which sounds promising.

Does anyone else think this might be a rehash of some of the history of Middle earth stuff that C Tolkien either used or rejected? Seems unlikely he would Have missed releasing some of this stuff already if it was deemed important.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2020, 10:52pm

Post #2 of 6 (706 views)
Shortcut
Here is a link to the article [In reply to] Can't Post

for anyone who wants to read more about it:
https://www.theguardian.com/...E#Echobox=1605778307

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

squire
Half-elven

Nov 20 2020, 2:01am

Post #3 of 6 (696 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if this is the "Best of" material from Vinyar Tengwar [In reply to] Can't Post

VT is the publication series of linguistic and philological notes by Tolkien that people like Carl Hostetter have been working on for decades now. Although the issues are primarily about Tolkien's linguistic essays, vocabularies, grammars, etc. - such that Christopher Tolkien knew perfectly well that a general readership would have no interest, and so contracted the work out to other scholars - the Prof himself did not draw hard boundaries between language building and world building.

So VT is known to have a number of informative essays on Middle-earth, written by Tolkien to illustrate, or even just spin off from, some question of language or phonics or script that he had been working on. From the description of the publisher, and from Hostetter's emergence as editor rather than the old reliables from the Tolkien Studies community (Shippey, Hammond/Scull, Flieger, Rateliff, Bratman, Fisher, Fimi, etc. - sorry to have left so many out), I am guessing that's where this book's content is coming from.

If I'm right, then actually it's all been "published" before, but only in a scholarly journal. This will just be the first publication in book form, aimed at the mainstream Tolkien fan audience.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 20 2020, 2:39am

Post #4 of 6 (695 views)
Shortcut
Solicitr said previously that it was genuinely new. [In reply to] Can't Post

And he's known to have corresponded with Christopher Tolkien. New to all readers, at least. Here's what he posted on TORN a few months ago.

I don't know any more myself about this project, but Solicitr indicates it "didn't quite make the cut" for later History of Middle-earth volumes. A few years ago, Arden Smith told Jason Fisher and me that the elvish linguistic fellows were roughly halfway through their publication of Tolkien's linguistic material, so I imagine that if not for the new book, this might have been incorporated into future issues of Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon. Earlier numbers of those journals have included material of value to non-linguists (particularly vol. 17 of Parma, in which Tolkien elaborates on names in The Lord of the Rings).

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Nov 20 2020, 4:14am

Post #5 of 6 (686 views)
Shortcut
OK - maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten that discussion from June this past year. Contrast solicitr's post - "it's all new ephemera that simply didn't fit in the HoME series" - with the report from David Bratman, via our Voronwe the Faithful: "A few of the contents have already appeared in obscure scholarly sources,..."

A few, and so by no means all. But the two claims by solicitr and Bratman don't cohere. All unpublished? or Mostly unpublished?
Granted, one could get a life and wait for the book...

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Felagund
Rohan

Nov 24 2020, 8:32pm

Post #6 of 6 (559 views)
Shortcut
Hostetter and Vinyar Tengwar [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with squire's speculation. And in that vein, I reckon we can reasonably expect "The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" to make an appearance. This was published in Vinyar Tengwar #42 (2001) and was edited by none other than... Carl F. Hostetter!

According to Hostetter, it's basically a 'cutting room floor' item from The Peoples of Middle-earth, shared with him by Christopher Tolkien. The Guardian article linked by Ataahua refers to content on the geography of Gondor, which this essay awesomely covers.

One of the things I've always loved about this essay is that it appears to have been prompted by a letter from a fan (one Paul Bibire) in 1969. Tolkien replied to Bibire's very specific question about the River Glanduin, then characteristically expanded into wider linguistic, geographic and geopolitical themes. And, after sending the letter, Tolkien penned an essay that expanded these themes even more, to cover pretty much every river west and south of the Misty Mountains - with the Beacon-hills thrown in for good measure.

All that said, I'd love there to be 'new' material in the coming package of lore.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 25 2020, 2:56am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.