The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The LotR Picture Show!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 31 2020, 4:36pm

Post #1 of 6 (1260 views)
Shortcut
The LotR Picture Show! Can't Post

Have you ever heard of or participated in a live viewing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show? It's nuts and so much fun! I went with my eldest daughter when she was in high school (1986/87). It was being played at a large conference-room type venue with folding chairs. I couldn't understand why she wanted to take some dry toast, a newspaper, and a few other obscure things. Well... once the movie started, I understood! It became an interactive flick. When running through the rain, we lift the newspaper over our heads like the characters in the movie. We toss the toast during a toast, etc. Movie goers in costume would go up on the stage and mimic their characters on screen! There are also a chosen selection of things shouted out at the characters; but here you really needed to experience this phenomenon before to know what to holler and when. FYI, this is definitely not something for youngsters (personally, I can't watch it all); but the music is GREAT!!

So, as usual, my thoughts turned to LotR and TH and how could they become an experience like RHPS? Think of it!

1. What items would you take that highlight the film(s) and how would you use them?
..... Cardboard Ring held up every time it shows up and tossed every time it's tossed
..... Rattle Sam's pans (represented by measuring cups?)
..... Pull out your pipe whenever they do
..... Throw a shiny silver cloth over your head every time Frodo disappears

2. What cosplay would you like to see (or do yourself) and which scenes should they go on stage for?
..... Gotta have a Wraith slinking about!
..... Gandalf with hat and staff

3. What things would you shout out with or at the characters?

..... RUN! (whether they say it or not)
..... My Precious!
..... Don't do it! or HIDE!

What else?

I know, I know... right now the chances of seeing these at the theatre or a hall that would let us interact the way we'd like are slim. This is why RHPS I went to was shown in a hall with folding chairs. Easier to clean up and only dry items were allowed. But just like Zoom can bring us together for visits, why not a coordinated viewing of the films? I'm making plans to do it over the holidays all by my onesies :)

After Covid settles down, house parties are perfect. A few of us sibbies met up a few times for a marathon. It's great because we had appropriate foods waiting for us and could take potty breaks ;)

So what would you do? What other activities for a LotRPS or HPS (Hobbit Picture Show would you add?

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 31 2020, 7:16pm

Post #2 of 6 (1243 views)
Shortcut
cue Streisand singing "memories" [In reply to] Can't Post

I never went to a RHPS event myself, feeling it was just a little too campy for me, but 1/2 of me wanted to go, because by all reports it was good, silly fun. And to think that whole sub-culture was well-organized before social media! You're lucky you stayed dry. Friends in high school who went to the midnight showing when it came to town reported getting drenched, even with big thick newspapers shielding their heads.

I was never quite sure why some lines became "memes" back before we had memes, such as shouting "Get a freakin' neck" to the minor character. But I would have been all in on throwing toast given my barbarous love of puns.

Anyway, how would that apply to LOTR, and could Tolkien fans lose their dignity in the same way? I like all your suggestions and will brainstorm a little on my own:
1. Get a ringtone on phones that sounds like a door buzzer, and let it ring either every time the Ring is mentioned, or maybe in critical moments, like when it melts at Mt Doom or in Rivendell when Gimli hits it with his axe. That would be like the toast pun.

2. People already giggled in theater audiences whenever anyone, especially Saruman, brought up "weed." Rather than toke up, maybe people could throw a handful of dandelions.

3. When Shelob appears, rather than spray bug spray (messy and dangerous), get those cans of compressed air for cleaning computers and pretend they're bug spray. (Inspired by Spam in Bored of the Rings)

4. There just has to be a way to comedically capitalize on Boromir saying, "One does not simply walk into Mordor," given that it's already a popular meme. I just can't think of how. Yelling "party-pooper" just isn't strong enough. Maybe: "Don't walk, let the Eagles fly it in."

5. Whenever the Black Riders speak, the audience could shout, "Speak up! We can't hear you! What do you want? Stop hissing. Do you need some medicine? Is there someone I can call for you? Sorry, I don't get your accent." or something similar.

6. When the Balrog falls into the abyss, the audience could shout, "Fly, you fool! You have wings!" and throw paper airplanes at the screen.

7. When the Orcs are outside Helm's Deep doing their chant and stomping their feet before they attack, the audience could say, "Trick or treat!" and throw candy at the screen.

I especially like your Harry Potter crossover idea of a silver cape every time Frodo disappears. Maybe there could be more, like when the Nazgul are flying over Minas Tirith and ripping soldiers off the wall, people could shout, "You're cheating at Quidditch."

Well, for someone who thinks things can get too campy, I have no problem thinking up more camp. Oh well. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 7:18pm

Post #3 of 6 (1241 views)
Shortcut
well ... did already something like that back in the theatrical release :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Cannot rember right now which of the movies it was ... It had ended its regular run in the nearest neighbourhood.
I had probably been seen it 30+ times in the theatres.
Was moaning about that I wanted to see it so badly again but it was gone from everywhere but Jönköping and could not go there, watch the movie and go back to my place on Billy Boyds forum.
Lo and behold a quarter after that a young girl from Jönköping happily said she sooo wanted to see it again but she could find noone to watch it with since all her comrades thought her nuts because she already had seen it some 12 times. And I could sleep at her parents place without problem since they had a guest room (or was it guest bed? cant remember)
One or two days after we both went. Sat in the front row. Shouted some lines out loud, laughed loud at all the pieces, snickered with lots of "messageboard lore" - and I guess drove the only other viewers - a family of several children I guess rather nuts.
We had a blast of a time though!!!!!!Even without any items :P
Edit: of course we were both dressed up and everything :P

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 31 2020, 7:21pm)

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 10:34pm

Post #4 of 6 (1221 views)
Shortcut
A coordinated viewing would be cool!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This year our beloved Medeltidsvecka (that is the Middle Ages week in Visby on Gotland here in Sweden, every week 32) had to be online.
They did a kickstarter to finance things and one of the stretch goals was two party nights with a swiss group called Koenix.
So then we were around 100 people from all over the globe simultanously singing and dancing in our little flats or houses to the music the band played in a castle in Switzerland.
And now and then the moderators moved one of our "home zoom screens" for all to see on the huge projeting area in that castle - could be from anywhere in the world! That was really cool!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 2 2020, 9:01pm

Post #5 of 6 (1142 views)
Shortcut
In FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Council, when Elrond says "One of you must do this", followed by a loud silence, I always want to say "Don't all volunteer at once."

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 2 2020, 9:18pm

Post #6 of 6 (1135 views)
Shortcut
In BOFA when Thorin sees Azog under the ice, [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to shout, "He's not dead!", adding "Stupid! Dummy! Idiot!" as the spirit moves me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.