Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Sad news... Sean Connery has passed away

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 31 2020, 1:50pm

Post #1 of 8 (173 views)
Shortcut
Sad news... Sean Connery has passed away Can't Post

The ultimate James Bond and performer of so many wonderful characters and films has passed away at the age of 90.

Whether his performances were short walk-ons (Robin Hood) or carried the film... he was always memorable.

Rest in Peace, Sir... and peace for your family and fans.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 31 2020, 2:05pm

Post #2 of 8 (160 views)
Shortcut
He was 90? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rest in peace, dear sir - and thank you for giving us so many memorable characters!

He was famously known as Bond, but to me, once he aged a bit and grew and kept that beard he was delightful to watch. "Junior!" Laugh

(And a line often repeated in our house, using different nouns: "One ping only." Now, who knows what movie that line is from? Angelic)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Avenger

Oct 31 2020, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 8 (156 views)
Shortcut
possibly my favorite of his later films! [In reply to] Can't Post

The initial shot of him on the con tower of the submarine still takes my breath away. I can watch "Red October" over and over.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Chen G.
Defender

Oct 31 2020, 6:30pm

Post #4 of 8 (148 views)
Shortcut
Deeply saddened by these news [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Sean was most thought-of as playing hard men, but his distinguished career also showed a more sensitive side to his characters and - in his turn as Professor Henry Jones Senior - one of the best comedic timings. A great actor, who will be sorely missed.

Connery was in discussion for the role of Gandalf numerous times: When John Boorman was first developing The Lord of the Rings in 1969-1970 he had some thoughts of casting, including the Beatles as the four Hobbits. We don't know about his thoughts about Gandalf, but given that he would later consider Connery (having worked with him on Zardoz) for the role of Merlin in Excalibur can give us a clue as to what might have been.

In 1993, a group of European producers were developing scripts for two or three Lord of the Rings films and had Connery in mind for the wizard.

In late 1998, Sir Peter Jackson - a huge fan of Sir Sean - said he "will not be Gandalf", but in April 1999 New Line insinuated that without at least trying for Connery the films would not get greenlit. Jackson tracked Sir Sean to his beach-house in the Bahamas, and sent him the scripts, following the package by-remote to his doorway. They had the Wellington Golf course on alert, should Connery say yes.

Connery read the scripts, and the books. After weeks of silence word arrived that he declined the part. The reason, as quoted in the media after the release of the films, and as it was relayed through Connery's agent, was that he "didn't understand it", but it was mainly the time commitment involved. Having watched the film (still not understanding it), Connery clarified:

I would be interested in doing something that I didn't fully understand, but not for 18 months.

He graciously added that Sir Ian McKellen was "wonderful in it."

Ataahua
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 31 2020, 7:11pm

Post #5 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, [In reply to] Can't Post

I have trouble lauding someone who is on record as saying - and who later reiterated his comments - that it's OK to hit a woman with an open hand if you've "tried everything else" and she won't let the discussion/argument drop.

My condolences to his family, though.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Oct 31 2020, 11:22pm

Post #6 of 8 (130 views)
Shortcut
I agree - being a good actor doesn't mean you are a 100% good person. [In reply to] Can't Post

he came out and said what he thought, which is nothing to be proud of in that instance, but I wonder how many skeletons are still hiding in actorly cupboards here and there? Having said that, his walk-on in Robin Hood PoT made the audience erupt into laughter when he emerged at the last moment as King Richard. Which is one reason why he wouldn't have made a good Gandalf. Whoever he was playing, I always felt he was Sean Connery.

the 13th warrior
Spider-person

Nov 1 2020, 7:05am

Post #7 of 8 (117 views)
Shortcut
Do we judge by social views or acting's impact on us??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello all, this is the classic case of what did an ill considered sexist statement have to do with his performances as bond, dad of indy, red october, the good marshall in outland (one of my faves) and many many more - the remark would make you dislike him as a person, mark it as negative, but does it detract from his acting the eccentric moody famous recluse novelist of Finding Forester reaching out to the young black scholar athlete??? nasty machismo statement and a moving performance. both are true, are they not?

seems there are regiments of male sports stars, rock-rap-country-pop stars, politicans, actors, superagents, the executive class media moguls (weinstein, shudder) etc who are downright repulsive in private lives, but really good at what they do publicly. so how to judge and separate the athlete for example who might break records and then be accused, even convicted of violent assault on a spouse, girlfriend??

makes me think the powerful folk compartmentalize their behavior, ethics, morals, how far they will go--they won the game and our admiration in one slot, now fill another slot with debauched bacchanalia-keeping em separate but you're the same person....
kind of boggles the mind, the fame, the platform to say stuff, the attention and the behind the scene dark stuff that mey abound.still admire connery for his longevity, credible, strong performances always. RIP to the scottish legend,

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate -- From the Scroll Rooms of Gondor admiring the Ian Fleming collection....

Annael
Avenger

Nov 1 2020, 5:23pm

Post #8 of 8 (104 views)
Shortcut
feet of clay and "cancel culture" [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad is 96, a pediatrician who devoted his life to taking care of children and was much-loved by his patients. When people find out I'm his daughter I get story after story about how wonderful he was as a doctor, the diagnoses he made of diseases that had baffled other doctors, the house calls he would make when a child was too ill to be brought to the office, etc. He raised my sister and me to believe we could do or be anything we wanted.

But recently we have had to sit him down and explain that rape jokes aren't funny. To his generation, things were okay that appall us now. Does that negate all the good he's done? I don't think so.

It's a slippery slope. I won't watch Woody Allen movies any more. I avoid movies with William Hurt after I found out he beat up women, and Gerard Depardieu who is an unrepentant, admitted rapist. I'm upset about what I now know about Jeremy Renner and Johnny Depp (who seem to have sunk their own careers). But is there any evidence that Connery ever actually acted on that idea?

I'm not calling for Gina Carano to be let go from "The Mandalorian" because she doesn't get it about trans people, but I am disturbed by J.K. Rowling's recent statements, which she clearly has put some thought into.

So where is the line? One of my mottos is "never ascribe to malice that which is probably only stupidity." I think Connery was stupid to say what he did, but I'm not convinced he practiced what he preached. He was 57 when he said that, and although he held to it 10 years later, in 2006 he said ""My view is I don't believe that any level of abuse against women is ever justified under any circumstances. Full stop." So maybe he wised up, like my dad has.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.