Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to a scary Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 30 2020, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 56 (227 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to a scary Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Booo! Did I scare you? Angelic

Once again, Fiesta *and* Halloween are upon us!

The last time Halloween fell on a Saturday we had over 120 trick-or-treaters come by, but of course I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. I imagine it will be scaled down somewhat which is how we're approaching it. Normally, I'd deck out our foyer and put a few other decorations outside (I had to move the trio of motion-sensor, evil-laughing skulls inside because it was scaring the little ones too much. Evil This year, however, I'm going to put a few scary decorations outside the door with a box full of candy and a "take some/leave some" sign. I think parents will appreciate that for those who's kids are out, and we'll keep up some social distancing from them too.

How about you? Are you going to take in a scary movie? Something from gramma's list a few threads down? Help yourself to the buffet, order up your favorite scary drink, and let us know!

*kicks juke box* "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon starts to play.

Have a HORRORbly happy weekend, everyone!!

LaughHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn

Oct 30 2020, 4:26pm

Post #2 of 56 (189 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I like the idea of motion-sensor evil-laughing skulls! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to put them in the staff room here! Laugh Could I have a cappuccino, please, Altaira?

It's snowing here, although it looks like it's not sticking. We've got an Autumn wreath, and a variety of little gourds on our porch, and I think we'll get some granola bars (chocolate oatmeal is popular) for any kids who come around. We're expecting just the neighborhood kids, if any.

I'm sorry I can't share my lunch here with you! Our school PTO is drawing five staff names every other week for a lunch from the local pizza restaurant, and I was one of the winners this week, so I've got this yummy Caesar salad with grilled chicken in front of me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 4:48pm

Post #3 of 56 (185 views)
Shortcut
*falls out of chair* Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

You scared me!!! *kaff* Really ;)O

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 56 (187 views)
Shortcut
it's not going to be "usual" [In reply to] Can't Post

any more than anything is right now. We don't usually get many trick-or-treaters because they either go downtown in the afternoon, where the merchants hand out candy and everyone can see each other's costumes, or out to a particular neighborhood on the island renowned for its all-out decorations. Even the neighbor kids skip going around our neighborhood. But the merchants aren't doing their thing this year and word is that "The Lakes" aren't either. So I don't know if we'll see no one or have all the local kids coming by. I have strung up lights that look like candy corn, have a couple of pumpkins out on the porch, and will be prepared to slide candy down from the deck as requested.

Had a lovely hike yesterday in woods where the native maples have gone gold and the mushrooms are bursting out all over. We've had a decent Indian summer; it's supposed to rain today, but then be nice for a few days before the rains of November start in earnest. Time for my cold-weather usual: an Angel Mist, please! That should fortify me for the conversation I'll be having with my doctor later on today about knee surgery. All those years of backpacking and downhill skiing are catching up with me . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 4:53pm

Post #5 of 56 (182 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they were a great find! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmmm, Caesar salad does sound good even though it's a tad early here.

We had nine inches of snow in our storm earlier this week. Way more than I thought we'd get. But, I did the shoveling in two shifts, with the second one the day after the snow when the sidewalk and driveway were warming up, so it wasn't too bad.

Enjoy the (hopefully) shovel-free snow (the very best kind, lol), and the scary weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 4:57pm

Post #6 of 56 (182 views)
Shortcut
*Snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

You're too funny, gramma. LaughLaugh

Speaking of Snickers (see what I did there), our real estate agent is one who really keeps up with her previous customers (which is why she's one of the best in the state), and drops off little gifts every now and then (or, rather, gets her kids to). Earlier in the year is was hand-sanitizer with a 'let me know if I can give you a hand with your real estate needs' note (yes, groan). However, yesterday it was a bag with a big, vanilla-pumpkin scented candle and some Halloween goodies that included Snickers, *and* Reeses cups! Bad puns were instantly forgiven and forgotten, lol.

Have a wonderful weekend, gramma!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 30 2020, 4:58pm)

dernwyn

Oct 30 2020, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 56 (178 views)
Shortcut
Nine inches? That's a good-sized snowfall! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a bigger question - how did it go, in the mountains? Was there enough moisture to snuff out at least portions of the fires? Unsure

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 5:04pm

Post #8 of 56 (180 views)
Shortcut
Not *that* conversation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

From what I've heard, you'll be glad once you've done it.

I thought I might need to have that convo too after our house reno. We needed to paint the stairs to the basement but still needed to be able to get up and down, so we had the brilliant idea to paint every other stair, let them dry, then repeat. The problem is my knees did *not* like pulling the rest of me up that span - took 3-4 weeks before they returned to normal.

I love the idea of sliding candy down to the kids! How fun and clever is that? Laugh Good luck with the appointment, and do enjoy the weekend afterward!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 30 2020, 5:12pm)

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 56 (177 views)
Shortcut
15+ inches in the mountains NW of here [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely enough to put out the fires, woohoo! I'm currently looking out at crystal-clear blue skies and snow-capped mountains. Just thinking about it makes me want to take in a deep, satisfying breath, lol.

dernwyn

Oct 30 2020, 5:12pm

Post #10 of 56 (177 views)
Shortcut
Blue skies, smoke-free air... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is wonderful news, Altaira!

Have an enjoyable deep-breathing weekend!

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 5:14pm

Post #11 of 56 (179 views)
Shortcut
*hides behind chair* Oh yeah... you scared me! [In reply to] Can't Post

*kaff* It doesn't take much to spook me nowadays! While I'm not normally a drinker, I think a Bloody Mary would be very festive! Maybe with some Angelfood Cake to counterbalance ;)

I've never had kids come around for trick or treating, but I do miss going out with the g'kiddies. I sent Halloween Bags of treats to my kids/g'kids, though.

I do have a bit o' decorating going on. I made a huge spider out of black garbage bags and have it crawling up the side of the garage and a pumpkin in the window :D I heard on the news that this is a unique weekend that there's a full moon across all the US timezones for the first time in a buhzillion years!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Thanks for taking such great care of us Altaira :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Oct 30 2020, 5:15pm

Post #12 of 56 (179 views)
Shortcut
Last year I had around 50 children call by... [In reply to] Can't Post

This year trick-or-treating is a no-no round here! People in my area are putting up displays and someone has produced a ticklist for children to go round spotting things - spiders, broomsticks etc - so they can go out and have a bit of fun without all the door-knocking. The adults with them are supposed to give them a treat when they tick something off the list. It's a full moon tomorrow - if anyone will be able to see it through the rainclouds! The forecast is not promising. Still, at least it's not snow!
Hope the knee consultation went okay, Annael. My father had a knee replacement at 81 and it improved things very much for him. He walked without pain and without a stick afterwards.
Sun set around 4.45pm today ~bleah~ Ah well, less than eight weeks to the Solstice, then the days will start growing longer again! Have the best weekend you can, folks - cheers!

dernwyn

Oct 30 2020, 5:15pm

Post #13 of 56 (178 views)
Shortcut
Mushrooms? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize there were some that were cooler-weather sprouting! Are they the edible kinds?

Oh, no, not the knee-surgery discussion...and you've gotten yourself all set up in the loft, now! I hope the verdict is not dire!

Sliding the candy down from the deck? Intriguing, how have you got it set up to do that, via a tube or sheet or other contraption?

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 5:18pm

Post #14 of 56 (177 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh..mmm... Snickers [In reply to] Can't Post

My Favourite! :D That was a very classy thing for her to do!

And I didn't get to finish my post. My internet is "snickering" at me as it's taking about 20-40 seconds to load... and it dumped the rest of my message! Poltergeist alert!

I finished down a couple when THIS one didn't even load when I checked. *taps foot* Have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn

Oct 30 2020, 5:18pm

Post #15 of 56 (177 views)
Shortcut
And it's a Blue Moon, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

The second full moon within a month! Cool

Oh, gosh, your own Shelob on the wall, that is some huge spider. I bet it looks great from the road, just make sure it doesn't fall on Hobbity! Shocked

dernwyn

Oct 30 2020, 5:22pm

Post #16 of 56 (177 views)
Shortcut
Sunset will get worse... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the end of Daylight Savings this weekend, so lighter mornings, darker afternoons. Tongue

That seems like a good "treat" alternative, finding things to "tick" off a list. So it's "Tick and Treat" this year around you! What do you have on display?

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 5:26pm

Post #17 of 56 (174 views)
Shortcut
Yes! A full moon too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed how big and round it was last night so I checked the calendar and, sure enough, completely full tomorrow! Beware, lol.

You're such a good gramma, gramma, for sending goodies to your grandkids. That will never get old no matter how 'grown up' they get to be.

Love the spider! Cool

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 5:31pm

Post #18 of 56 (174 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes, I almost forgot - clocks go back an hour this weekend in the U.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

So much going on, I almost forgot. Though, nowadays most of our clocks change themselves, but there are a few that it will be B.G.'s job to re-set.

That scavenger-type hunt is a great idea for the kids. Hopefully any rain will stay away until later in the evening.

You have the best weekend *you* can have too! Smile

Annael
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 5:51pm

Post #19 of 56 (172 views)
Shortcut
hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that I might be let off with what my brother had done - they went in arthroscopically and cleaned up the underside of the patella and the top of the femur and 25 years later he's still good despite years of jumping out of airplanes.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 6:14pm

Post #20 of 56 (164 views)
Shortcut
*fingers crossed* [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be a perfect outcome. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you! Heart

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 30 2020, 6:55pm

Post #21 of 56 (162 views)
Shortcut
Spooky Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

This year has been such a black hole in terms of time going by - my mind can't really process that it's Halloween. You mean the year's almost over? ShockedCrazyEvil

That's nice that there's still a version of trick or treating that the little ones can potentially take part in. I'm secretly happy that I don't have to figure out a costume for any parties. I give it all or nothing with Halloween costumes, so I know I'm likely to make a fool of myself giving it all. Tongue

No special plans for us. My girlfriend is staying put at home for another week or so, as she did a road trip out of state and we want to be safe Covid-wise. It's been dropping into the high 50's here at night this week - which, when you've been living in LA a few years, feels like subzero! Cool

Have a great weekend, everyone! And sending thoughts to my fellow US 'sibs, as we all desperately try to not pull out our hair over the increasingly stressful next few days.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Oct 30 2020, 7:39pm

Post #22 of 56 (152 views)
Shortcut
We changed the clocks last weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tick or Treat - I like that! In my enclosed porch I have a broomstick and pointy hat, two large spiders, a rat, an impromptu spook and a pumpkin garland. In the kitchen window (only decent-sized ground floor window facing the front, living and dining rooms face the back garden) I have carved two very worried-looking butternut squashes with a large spider hanging over them.

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Oct 30 2020, 7:42pm

Post #23 of 56 (149 views)
Shortcut
I have to change microwave, alarm clock and living kitchen and living room clocks [In reply to] Can't Post

but everything else pretty much looks after itself. Usually takes me about three days to adjust. Tomorrow we have a named storm blowing through, but I think the worst of it should be past by the time the light fades and the little ones want to come out and see what's on display.

Ataahua

Oct 30 2020, 8:25pm

Post #24 of 56 (144 views)
Shortcut
A tequila sunrise please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because I'm missing the sun (so might as well have it in a drink) - it's been misty or overcast for a week and I'm feeling the loss, especially when I see east coast cities are getting high temps and sun. (Yes Annael, I can see your Washington eye-roll from here.) Tongue

Halloween isn't really a thing in NZ; it's unusual to see kids out trick or treating. Not that that stops local shops from using Halloween marketing.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 9:47pm

Post #25 of 56 (138 views)
Shortcut
Halloween definitely snuck up on us [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay. I was going to post a picture of a lurking monster, or a monster sneaking up on someone, but some of them are pretty disturbing! Shocked I love scary things, but I didn't want to give anyone else here any nightmares. Sly

Enjoy your 'no special plans' weekend!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.