Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Hi! LOOOOONG time no see :)

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 30 2020, 12:11pm

Post #1 of 18 (244 views)
Shortcut
Hi! LOOOOONG time no see :) Can't Post

Does anyone still remember me? I finally managed to remember which email adress I used and could reset the password again. :)
With all the things youtube lately has suggested for me (The One Zoom To Rule Them All and today the news about the new DVDS I felt I HAD to try to get back to the remnants of the Online Tolkien Community which was such a big part of my life back in 1999-2004 ...
Heart

Otaku-sempai
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 12:52pm

Post #2 of 18 (213 views)
Shortcut
Remnants? [In reply to] Can't Post

The TORn community seems to me to be pretty healthy yet. But if you want to check out a newer fan site, I've been posting on the forums at History of the Ages (formerly History of Middle Earth): https://www.historyoftheages.co.uk/forum.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 18 (207 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* Of Course!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to find you safe and sound! Oh yeah... that news of the new Anniversary DVDs is so exciting!! And that Zoom still makes me laugh :D

I hope you've been having a great and easy time of it. I can totally relate to trying to remember an email address. I had a terrible time with that not long ago.

*big hug* Stick around! The lights are always on here ;) *more hugs*

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Avenger

Oct 30 2020, 4:43pm

Post #4 of 18 (206 views)
Shortcut
I remember you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back! There are a few of us Eldar still around . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

dernwyn
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 30 2020, 4:56pm

Post #5 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
Great Elephants! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has indeed been a long time - welcome back! Smile

And that Zoom was fantastic, wasn't it - so good to see them all together again! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 30 2020, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 18 (203 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy to see that some others of the more longtime-users still are around and active! Big hug to all here HeartThanks!

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 30 2020, 5:19pm

Post #7 of 18 (200 views)
Shortcut
yes it was! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was SO cool to see them all!!!!! And the good vibes they still seem to have amongst them all - made my heart even warmer!

But then one also got a nudge to see how much time in fact has flown ... I was heartbroken to afterwards hear of Sir Ian Holms passing away ... I grew up on his Frodo in the BBC production :-S ...

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 30 2020, 5:21pm

Post #8 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been a bit of a rollercoaster even before the Covid19. But after some 6 months in quarantine and losing my job I had in the spring I finally found another job in september - one which I right now can manage from home to about 99%.
I had my dreamjob at Uppsala University 2015-2019 but could not cope with the commuting time in particular (despite being only 50 km i had for the greater part bus-train-bus changes which almost never synced properly. The last months I found someone living rather close to here so that we could ride down to the station together ...
I am SOOO happy to see so many familiar names around here still after all those years!!!!!!

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 30 2020, 5:23pm)

Altaira

Oct 30 2020, 6:01pm

Post #9 of 18 (196 views)
Shortcut
Ioreth!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course you're remembered! How wonderful it is to see you here again. It sounds like life has been treating you well. Glad to hear you found another job.

Yes, LOTR goodness continues, if at a slower pace. The pace will pick up, of course, when the Amazon show starts, but many of us are still here, enjoying the speculation and. of course, enjoying each others' company.

Please stop by more often. You're missed! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 30 2020, 6:04pm

Post #10 of 18 (194 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

*hugs* HeartWorking at Stockholm University instead - at least preliminary till the end of 2021.
"only" 25 km commute :) and thankfully as I said I can do most things which are not hardware-related from home right now *happy*

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 30 2020, 6:06pm)

Ataahua

Oct 30 2020, 8:31pm

Post #11 of 18 (179 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the job! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's no small feat, these days. And it's lovely to see you here again. Smile

One of my work colleagues left NZ for Melbourne in January - the worst possible timing, given the two big lockdowns they've had. She found a job as a communications manager at a local council but never stepped inside the building; all of her work was done from her home. She and her partner finally pulled the plug a month ago and are back in NZ, their dream life in Melbourne never realised.

Another colleague is still with us, having withdrawn her resignation when she realised her two-year travels in the UK wouldn't happen.

Covid's really turned our world upside-down. But TORN remains, for what it's worth!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi

Oct 30 2020, 8:50pm

Post #12 of 18 (181 views)
Shortcut
Mae Govannen, Ioreth! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see you again! Yes, of course I remember you, and hope things are going well for you.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 31 2020, 11:42am

Post #13 of 18 (157 views)
Shortcut
It remains [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is heartwarming to see so many familiar "faces" / nicks :) :) :)

HeartHeartHeart
yes, Covid has turned our world upside down :-S ...
But I hope we as a society can get through it ...

*hugs* for all :)

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 31 2020, 11:44am)

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 31 2020, 6:42pm

Post #14 of 18 (137 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you again, Ioreth [In reply to] Can't Post

And fun fact: in my last job, I made a few work trips to Uppsala University, taking the train from Stockholm. It's always good to get outside of a country's major city/capital and see something else to give you perspective. Nice campus, charming town with lots of history (the pagan center of Sweden, IIRC, so the church built an impressive cathedral there to counter the influence), and friendly people

But if you're in Stockholm, you are lucky. I think it's an underrated city that always had more neat places to discover, and all the islands and waterways make it physically interesting, plus it's more impressive than Oslo, Copenhagen, and Helsinki--those Swedes in the past liked to show off. And yes, you can get more than meatballs when you eat out. :) Anyway, good memories from my trips there. I'm sure living there is a much different experience, but I hope it's still a good one.

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 31 2020, 9:19pm

Post #15 of 18 (127 views)
Shortcut
Sweden is nice :) [In reply to] Can't Post

ah, yes - Stockholm is especially beautiful in the autumn - lots of colorexplosions mirrored in all that water ...

Glad you liked it :) Nice to hear too that you liked Uppsala :)

If there wasn't 10 years queuing time for a rented flat in Uppsala I would have moved there - and kept my dream job ...
Even if I really like my current flat as well ...

CuriousG
Asgardian

Nov 1 2020, 2:39pm

Post #16 of 18 (107 views)
Shortcut
Oops, my mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

Just now realizing you are Ioreth, not Dame Ioreth who lives in the USA, and you're Swedish, not working there temporarily. Welcome back all the same! But I was spewing my comments in the context of another American being in Sweden, whereas I doubt Swedes need much information from Americans on their own country. Smile But I'll still let my admiration for Stockholm stand, just in case a foreigner's appreciation perspective makes you appreciate it more. I live in Boston and think about bad traffic, antiquated public transport, etc, then I hear tourists get all excited about being here, and it makes me grumble less and appreciate it more.

Ioreth
Spider-person

Nov 1 2020, 3:07pm

Post #17 of 18 (103 views)
Shortcut
No problem :) [In reply to] Can't Post

:)

Mari D.
Spider-person

Nov 18 2020, 8:29pm

Post #18 of 18 (53 views)
Shortcut
Helllllooo :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back! Glad to see you!

As I only registered at this forum two years ago, I don't really know how I know you, but I feel as if your nickname is familiar and I like you. So maybe back in the ancient LotR movie days, when I was reading the forums as a viewer only ... maybe I remember you from that =)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.