Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 15

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 15, 12:19pm

Post #1 of 24 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 15 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope you're able to keep moving toward your own personal goal whatever that may be... and however you can get there! Walking, yard work, personal/formal gym, whatever you like to do that keeps you moving :D Give us an update of your goal and progress... if you like... cuz all of us know how limited our time is and how challenging it can be to get out and about.

It's an incredible time of the year here in Michigan and the northern US as the fall colours are on HyperDrive! It makes all the cooler days more brilliant and the backdrop of changeable seasonal clouds, imho, breath-taking! I did a road trip north through half the state to Lake Michigan. In that one day the skies went from flawlessly clear, to billowing white poofy that were overtaken by dark blue-purple storm clouds. RAIN! Then an hour later, no rain... but there's a cloud battle of the dark mingling with the poofy white and you could see bands of rain in the distance. The personality of the fall skies are impressive and expressive!

I didn't take these pics, but they show exactly what I saw on my Quest :) I predict the coming couple of weeks will mean a LOT of raking as the NW winds continue to kick up and manicure the trees. *sigh* What a show!

Meanwhile, Bilbo, Gandalf and I have finally left the fountain behind and have entered the forests on the last miles of the Road to Rivendell. Now is when I wish I had a pony ;)

*waves fondly* Stay Safe! Keep Moving! And I'll see you on the Road :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15, 4:26pm

Post #2 of 24 (1494 views)
Shortcut
So relaxing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Autumn scenery is eye-candy, isn't it - good for you, and no calories! Laugh

Where's that windy road, gramma? What a pleasant way to drive through a forest!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16, 10:48am

Post #3 of 24 (1440 views)
Shortcut
All of the shots [In reply to] Can't Post

are of Northern Michigan up in the top of your ring finger (if you're looking at the back of your left hand as a map)... in the Petosky area.

I went to Charlevoix (Mushroom House) and met my Sister for a walk on the beach. Mile after mile looks like that until you hit the water (Lake Michigan). Actually, the whole of the upper lower peninsula and the upper peninsula looks just like that!

What's also cool is passing through the 45th parallel (halfway between the equator and north pole) about 1.5 hrs north of where I live :D

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16, 12:14pm

Post #4 of 24 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Is there a sign anywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

That you're crossing the 45th? Cool

On the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) in the Berkshires, at the highest point is a sign about this being at 1,729 ft above sea level, and the next place you reach this elevation on I-90 is in South Dakota. We're so "flat"! Laugh But I do like geography signs.

Have you visited the Upper Peninsula much? One of my Ohio aunts and her husband used to live there in the winter for the ski-mobiling!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 24 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a small green sign by the median. I think I got a pic of it from a previous drive. There's also a sign about 10 miles SE of me noting the spot smack-dab in the middle of the Lower Peninsula (Middle of the Mit).

I-90 has the highest AND lowest points marked!!!??? :D That's so cool!

Yes I have been across the Mackinac Bridge (pronounced Mack-in-aw) to the UP (Upper Peninsula). I've been up to the Soo Locks and Tahquamenon Falls. There are about 200 waterfalls of various sizes across the UP; but about 7 impressive waterfalls. I've followed part of Biker's ride waterfall tour of the UP; but still have to finish it. You can go forever through the endless forest and never see a single tower or power line. It's incredible :)

My nephew and his family live in Marquette along the northern shore on Lake Superior. It takes my Sister (his mom) about 7 hours to drive the length of Michigan from where she lives north of Detroit to Marquette. This time of year, you can't describe the beauty of the hills, trees, and water. The roads like the one in the pic are everywhere.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 17, 8:53pm

Post #6 of 24 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Love that middle-of-the-mitt sign! [In reply to] Can't Post

"...as closely as can be determined." Considering the shape of the LP, that was quite a task!

I went searching online, and found other states that have put up 45th Parallel signs as well. I bet there are folks who have the "hobby" of collecting pics of themselves at these signs!

The UP is such a place of wild beauty. Your nephew must love living there (although it can get quite cold in winter!). Seven hours? That's how long it takes to drive from London to Edinburgh - you could probably squeeze England proper into Michigan!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 18, 2:55pm

Post #7 of 24 (1263 views)
Shortcut
*grabs bucket list* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... I'd take on that Quest of chasing the 45th Parallel if I had a newer car and the fundage. That would be so much fun!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 22, 11:35am

Post #8 of 24 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're having a great week and that you're keeping on the move. Nowadays, we're keeping on the move to help us keep warm! The colder weather is trying to commandeer the days here in Michigan... which tends to happen this time of year ;) Sadly, the trees have been nearly stripped of their beautiful leaves and they prepare for their long winter sleep. And so it begins. UNLESS you're in the Southern Hemi! Spring is in the air! :D How I'd love to summer in Michigan and winter in NZ. *sigh*

What have you been doing to prepare for the change of seasons? Are you raking FALLen leaves or weeding out your garden for the newly SPRINGing flowers? I'm on my 3rd round of raking up black walnuts and their leaves for a total of 14 BIG wheelbarrows full. That big ol' tree is very busy and is taking aim at me as it hurls its bounty at my head! *shakes fist* DO YOUR BEST, YOU HUORN!

Anyway *straightens collar* Bilbo, Gandalf and I are finally watching for landmarks surrounding Rivendell. We'll be there in a few days, so Bilbo and I are already planning our first several feasts. And honestly... I think Gandalf is quietly doing the same. We haven't been quiet about our menu, so I'm sure there will be an extra plate at the table without saying a word ;)

*waves fondly* Have a wonderful week... STAY SAFE... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 22, 11:36am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 29, 1:52pm

Post #9 of 24 (799 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're having a wonderful week and making headway on your own personal Quest :) Have you moved your outdoor action indoors yet? I'm still sneaking out in the afternoon when the temps are as high as they're going to be; but it's definitely coat weather now. *sigh* So what are you doing to get your miles in?

I'm spending more time on my treadmill. I usually got about 1 hour a day in all summer; but now that's increasing with less time spent outside. I'm working on harvesting my Black Walnuts. I laid them out in the driveway and let hobbity (my SUV) smash the outer shells by driving over them. Gotta admit, that was kinda fun :D Now for the drudge of peeling off that outer covering and starting the process of cleaning the remaining nuts/shells. These stain and smell mightily, so rubber gloves under gardening gloves helps protect; but the nastiness still filters through. Obviously there's not a lot of mileage in this project; so I'm working in other activity/exercising to keep up. I'd rather be hauling rocks and walking around the block ;)

Bilbo, Gandalf and I finally made it to Rivendell!!! The impact of walking into a room with a ceiling isn't as strange this time as it was when we went from mountain caverns to trudging around Mirkwood and finally landing at Beorn's. Bilbo and I felt like ducking down at that point. Now it's long anticipated... and appreciated :D Soon we'll be leaving for the Shire. Each of us are very ready to get there and close this adventure's chapter. It's good to have this time for Bilbo to catch up on his book about these past weeks.

*waves fondly* Good luck on your Travels! Stay safe... and I'll see you on the Road :D

sample

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 29, 1:53pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5, 11:09am

Post #10 of 24 (715 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! November 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to November! Mercy, but time is really flying by! I hope you're having fun gathering up your mileage. This is "your" time during the week to be kind to yourself and enjoy breaking out of your routine for just a little while. How are you coming along on your Quest?

In Michigan, we're finally enjoying a few days of great weather... so I'm making the last push on outside projects. My pup, Pickle, had fun looking for his fish (squeaky toy) in a pile of leaves. He's a good sport!

Bilbo, Gandalf and I have left our visit in Rivendell and are finally headed home to Bag End. I'm so ready to get bored and back into my routine at home.

*waves fondly* Stay safe... and I'll see you on the Road!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 5, 5:14pm

Post #11 of 24 (697 views)
Shortcut
Leafpile! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, I love that image of Pickle nosing about excitedly in the leaves!

How'd the walnuts turn out? Were you able to get very many out of their shells?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 6, 10:35am

Post #12 of 24 (662 views)
Shortcut
Oh nuts... ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Not yet! Mercy, but they're labour intensive. It took me about 2 hours to get the outer shell off (heaping wheelbarrow full). I drove over them then peeled the shell off the raw nuts. THEN I put the nuts into a bucket of water to rinse off the left-over crusties. The water is toxic to plant life, so I had to do this in the gravel road. THEN I sandwiched them in between two 1/4" screens so they could dry out for a few days. It wasn't warm enough outside, so I dried them on 3 large cookie sheets heaped high in a 90 degree oven for 12 hours. NOW they have to be bagged in mesh and "cure" for 4-6 weeks.
*sigh* I see why they're so expensive at the store ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6, 12:35pm

Post #13 of 24 (661 views)
Shortcut
Toxic? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that parts of walnuts were toxic! Then the drying and the curing...good heavens, what a project, makes me tired reading about what all has to be done!

My Austin brother has pecan trees and in the past has sent us some that he's shelled, now I wonder what kind of process he'd gone through for them.

Makes one appreciate the patience of squirrels and other critters who manage to eat these!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 13, 12:11am

Post #14 of 24 (522 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! November 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Walkers!

I hope you're doing well and are avoiding the virus spike that's chasing us like Black Riders after the Ring! My area is seeing an 85 percent increase over the past week. *gulp* And to add to the drama, an incredibly Tolkienesque twist has landed out my door. You know how eagles are always nearby when there's battle in the air? (pun intended ;) WELL... I'm girding myself for some real calamity after discovering not one eagle atop a Maple tree next to my yard... but THREE! Two bald eagles and with them a golden eagle... or maybe a very large offspring of the balding pair. I had heard for the past couple of years that there was a nesting pair nearby, but I never saw them until last Sunday. I heard them before I saw them! That incredible screeching call they make seemed like it was right over my head... and it nearly was!

I've spent much of the week eagle-proofing my small dog Pickle's large pen... a 25' x 33' fenced-in area outside my back door. He's a perfect little morsel for these incredible birds of prey. I live out in farm country where the fields have just been harvested; so there are loads of critters scampering around without their corn, soybean, or other crop covering. *sigh*

So how are you coming along on your personal Quest? Are you nesting yourself in preparation of the colder weather in the Northern Hemi? Or are you getting your gardens shifted into high gear in the Southern Hemi? There's always something for everyone :D

Meanwhile... Bilbo, Gandalf and I are on our way home to the Shire. We're retracing much of the trail we made when we left months ago. In fact, we just recovered the treasure we found in the Troll's hidey-hole; but we made camp well away from where the stone-cold Trolls are still standing guard over the... well... nothing!

Take care as we wind on down the Road... and stay safe!!!! *waves fondly*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 13, 8:32pm

Post #15 of 24 (478 views)
Shortcut
Return to dell. Camp there. Attack of Nazgul at night. [In reply to] Can't Post

Been awhile since I checked in, but I haven't been walking as much as before, for no particular reason, and thus haven't been keep track. So that's a wild stab at where I am now, at 241. A Nazgul attack tonight? Well, as the saying goes, it's 2020, so of course. Smile

My project is to replace my kitchen faucet, where the mounting is rusting away. I have no fear of home repairs and know how to wield a socket wrench (and a hammer, for when I get angry!), but googling prices and installation tips, and seeing buyer reviews of various DIY repair jobs that started leaking in a year, I'm starting to think I may have to hire a real plumber, which is quite pricey, though I tell myself that profession exists for a reason. Also as my reasoning is going, it's just as pricey to hire one to come fix the mess you made because you did it wrong.

I'd normally just have my landlord do it, but his health is chronically failing, and from the last few repairs he made around my apartment, he caused as much damage as repair (I was vacuuming up nails and tacks mashed into my carpet for weeks), so I really can't ask him. Though it IS so very tempting to just do it myself. And I won't let anyone in unless they're wearing a mask, which might involve a showdown, but Boston is experiencing a hefty surge in COVID, so I don't care if I hurt anyone's feelings. Kinda sad that you have to think about such things, however, when contemplating home repairs. But I can add that in all of my walks this fall and summer, I pass lots of construction projects both big and small, and the workers *never* wear masks even when their faces are inches apart, so it's a thing to contend with.

Anyway, it's a rainy day today, so probably no walk, but hope to get out tomorrow. TGIF!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 14, 3:15am

Post #16 of 24 (463 views)
Shortcut
It's 2020, so of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

How true, how true! The whole point is that you're still on the move ;)

It feels right to go for the plumber straight away, but how to get a good one? I speak with experience because I did my own sink repair AFTER paying a plumber referred by a friend. *sigh* My son-in-law is an excellent plumber, but he lives 600 miles away ;) I think that hammer will come in handy very soon. So because of your very good point about Covid exposure, your ailing Landlord, etc... I'd go for doing it yourself with the belief it will work. It sounds like you know exactly what the deal is. You can do this!

There's plenty of time for your walk. Actually... what I think you really need to do is go get some ice cream! Ice cream fixes everything!!!! :D

Have a great weekend... and good luck! Let me know how it goes!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14, 2:29pm

Post #17 of 24 (412 views)
Shortcut
Just make sure you turn off the water valve first. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you decide to do it yourself! Most faucet replacements a pretty straightforward, just make sure you have a good light to see by.

On the other hand, a reputable plumber would get it done in half - or less - of the time you or I could! Laugh

We had an outdoors spigot with a rusted handle. I kept telling hubby to get a plumber to replace it, as it seemed to be stuck on tight. Two weeks ago hubby thought he could do it himself, got the wrench...and we shortly had a twisted pipe and an inch of water on half the basement floor. Nope, he hadn't turned off the water valve. Fortunately the plumber wasn't aghast but instead had a good laugh about it before replacing the aging pipes. For a hefty but necessary price.

It's sunny in our region today! Go have a nice walk! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15, 4:16pm

Post #18 of 24 (293 views)
Shortcut
Oh Good Grief! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel for your hubby! BEEN THERE... DONE THAT!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 15, 9:08pm

Post #19 of 24 (264 views)
Shortcut
Good advice! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the easy things to overlook when you're focused on getting the right nut size, making sure you have the right size tools, the teflon tape to thread the bolts, etc. Sorry for your incident, but glad you got it fixed. The idea of aging pipes is another reason I hesitate to start this myself and then find I need 12 feet of pipe replacement. That's beyond my socket & wrench skills.

PS. New England is having a mighty nice fall, isn't it? I can't stay in when it's sunny and mild. And only 1 more month until winter solstice, and then our days will lengthen again.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Nov 15, 9:09pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 15, 9:15pm

Post #20 of 24 (263 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the ice cream as a fix-all [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, OK, it won't fix a leaky pipe, but it will fix 99% of life's other woes.

Sorry you had a bum experience with a recommended plumber--it really is a crapshoot. But kudos for being able to fix it yourself.

Now I'm watching a rather sinister upward slope to the COVID cases in our state, and reminding myself that those are infections that happened 2 weeks ago, I'm a little leery about having any stranger inside, though if I do, I can open all the windows and deploy a few fans, since ventilation is key. I'm thinking the other bolt hasn't rusted out yet, so maybe I will stall a little longer and see if new measures improve things. Being a numbers and graphs guy, my gut level responds better to graphs of bad things that are flat or falling.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15, 10:33pm

Post #21 of 24 (255 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

The colors down here on the coast have been bright, and although they're saying we still have mild drought conditions, it's been great to have so many sunny days.

A little bit more than a month until solstice; our school superintendent keeps letting us know how soon it is until Christmas! Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15, 10:54pm

Post #22 of 24 (255 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like you have time [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd do the wait and just keep an eagle-eye on it and a number to call close by. P'raps Spring will make thing a lot easier. *pulls out magic wand* PWANG! There. That should hold you :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 16, 2:49am

Post #23 of 24 (228 views)
Shortcut
Droughts in New England [In reply to] Can't Post

Growing up in the West, droughts meant no water. Colorado, California: it was the same. I remember in one Calif. drought, they were telling people to only flush their toilet once a day, or every 2 days, or something unpleasant like that. Restaurants only gave you water if you asked. Watering your lawn was banned or severely restricted, etc. You had reminders everywhere.

But droughts in N.E. just mean less rain. At least for now. Climate change is not to be sneezed at or jinxed! But still, I'm grateful that it hasn't been any worse.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 20, 5:56am

Post #24 of 24 (75 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! November 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're feeling well and are outpacing the Nazgul (virus)!!! It's lurking behind trees, in the air all around you on really ugly bird-dragon-things, and trying hard to catch you at unawares! FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

On that happy note, I hope you're having great satisfaction on your progress and that your Quest is keeping you on the move... regardless of how you're doing it. Remember, you're not limited to walking, running, or climbing mountains. The beauty of our Walk is that the whole idea is to get busy doing something that gets you away from the keyboard and gets you up and moving. The miles add up and the Fellowship enjoys the Company ;) Please let us know what you're up to and your goal if you have one... even if it's just getting in a walk on the remaining decent-weather days we have left here in the Northern Hemi. :)

I've had another tree come down in some high winds we had earlier this week. It's one that was badly weakened in a huge blow back in June that took out several trees... many of them over 20 feet tall… I thought! So the chainsaw is singing again as I try to beat the colder weather. I did finally think to actually measure this tree, and it's 47 feet!

I've also been working on my hobbit hole environ out in my yard. It's just the front facade and standing about 6 feet across and 2 feet high and a front yard. From the ground halfway up the wall are some stones I've gathered on my walks or found in my yard. The top half is what I'm working on now. I got some wooden shims, cut them in half, sealed them with deck sealant, and am applying them to the concrete block wall with Liquid Nails adhesive. The shims are now wood shingle siding.

From the fallen trees I've been cutting up... I've cut some 2 inch wedges/circles for the window(s) (6-8") and front door (12" diameter). They're really rough and I planned on sanding them down; but I really love them with all the saw patterns (very messy) and live edges. So I've sealed them and will use them as is. I figure I can always sand them down properly *kaff*.

I won't be working on this anymore until Spring; but I'm happy with how much I was able to do given the other projects I wasn't anticipating (eagle barriers/downed trees).

Meanwhile… back in Middle-earth… Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still on our way to the Shire from Rivendell. The Trollshaws are behind us and we're heading towards Weathertop.

So onward and upward… and I hope you have a great week. Stay Safe… and I'll see you on the Road

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.