Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Contact Artist Allen Lee and John Howe

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Sep 8, 10:00pm

Post #1 of 9 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Contact Artist Allen Lee and John Howe Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can contact the Tolkien artists john Howe and Allen Lee.

Thanks

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 9, 1:22am

Post #2 of 9 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Allen? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, but you might want to look for Alan Lee.

#FidelityToTolkien

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Sep 9, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 9 (1282 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

lol thanks.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 12, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 9 (1207 views)
Shortcut
You might want to look out for book signings... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just before lockdown Alan Lee was doing talks & signings for his Hobbit Sketchbook. I got to see him here in the UK and the projector malfunctioned, so for a good hour we had a long chat while it was being fixed. A really lovely man.

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Sep 12, 8:07pm

Post #5 of 9 (1202 views)
Shortcut
That is Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

but will he come across the pond?

J.R.R Tolkien

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 12, 8:11pm

Post #6 of 9 (1202 views)
Shortcut
You can hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the current situation it looks unlikely. But do keep an eye open, you never know. Smile Good luck

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 13, 2:52pm

Post #7 of 9 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Great suggestion! [In reply to] Can't Post

If we've learned nothing else from the Good Professor... it's perseverance :D *high five*

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 29, 9:21am

Post #8 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
I read this..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and my first reaction was goodness, were you there too? But then I read more carefully and realised you were talking about a signing of the Hobbit sketchbook - at least, I think you were. In which case the same thing happened in 2007 when Waterstone's in Piccadilly held an all-day signing event for the publication of The Children of Hurin. Alan Lee was signing and the first 60 people in the queue had the option of buying the slipcased edition with a bookplate signed by Christopher Tolkien - I wasn't intending to but I had the chance, so I did.
After the signing Adam Tolkien spoke, and Bernard Hill, and in the afternoon Alan Lee was due to give a talk on the illustrations. The room was packed, but when the time came to start they couldn't get the projector to work with his laptop - there was was some problem about the leads which they couldn't seem to resolve, and gradually the audience drifted away.When the gave up on the projector there were only about eight of us left, and Alan Lee said that if we'd like to gather round his laptop he'd show us the talk on that. It was brilliant. With so few people it wasn't a formal presentation, we were just chatting over the images. It was an outstanding experience and, as you say, he's a lovely man.So if you were there, belated hello. And if you weren't, I know just what you mean!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 29, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 9 (91 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful memory :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never heard of anyone having a bad or disappointing experience at a Tolkien-related book signing. Usually the venues are in tight areas, so having them now has got to be a challenge; but what a joy if they can make it happen. :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.