Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
We're close to Halloween now: what are you watching?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28, 10:26am

Post #26 of 31 (166 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeet! :D Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28, 11:44pm

Post #27 of 31 (163 views)
Shortcut
OH! And "Arsenic and Old Lace"! [In reply to] Can't Post

An old Cary Grant Halloween classic!!!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31, 11:12am

Post #28 of 31 (88 views)
Shortcut
I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I will re-watch the new Emma film today.

I hate everything scary, bloody or action-filled.
So I will drool over pretty dresses, pretty scenery, pretty houses and pretty furniture and pretty dialogue instead :)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 7, 1:46am

Post #29 of 31 (30 views)
Shortcut
I stuck 'V for Vendetta' in the Blu-ray player this afternoon. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been even more appropriate to watch it again yesterday ("Remember, remember the fifth of November") but the movie seems to have a special relevance at this time.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 8, 12:45pm

Post #30 of 31 (26 views)
Shortcut
Supernatural and Buffy the Vampire Slayer [In reply to] Can't Post

I was puzzled by this (unknown to me) show which lasted 15 seasons and yet no one I knew ever watched or mentioned it, and I like supernatural shows. So I'm into the 3rd season and find it pretty formulaic, and something to have on while I'm doing something else, not a show I'm really watching seriously. I guess it was aimed at the 15-25 demographic, because every show is really a lesson in how to be cool and handsome/pretty (cool guys get to have awesomely pretty female guest stars), and I can easily imagine being a teenager again and knowing that everyone was taking their behavioral cues from that show on how to be cool at high school the next day. Oh, and they kill a demon every show. But their hair always looks great even during and after a fight, and that's what counts. It's funny that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was only 12 years older than them and played "Dad," but you know, you're not cool if you look like a real dad.

I realized the show reminded me of Buffy, just recast as males and aimed at a slightly older crowd, and not nearly as clever in dialogue, though it can still be funny at times. So I'm rewatching some Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or trying to. I still find that show's dialogue witty and fresh most of the time, but ugh, the teenage angst is not my thing.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 11, 2:19am

Post #31 of 31 (14 views)
Shortcut
"See" on Apple TV+ [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got a new iPad, and with that comes 1 free year of Apple TV+. And it should be free, because there's hardly anything on it, and what there is is pretty low-quality.

Out of pandemic boredom, I watched all 8 episodes of "See," featuring Jason Momoa in a--get ready for it--post-apocalpytic future where a virus has killed off all but 2 million people, plus it's left everyone blind, and all of their descendants blind, so the world we see (see what I did there?) is a Neolithic one: people in villages or in the ruins left from our era. Is it a must-see? No. Does it make sense? Sometimes, but often not. Twins are born who can see, but they are considered witches to persecute rather than, say, arrange your flowers.

I was intrigued to see what the world-building would be like, because I do like world-building (probably why I like fantasy and scifi). I should probably back up and say that Apple promoted this series as a reason to start paying for Apple TV +, and they made sure journalists knew it cost $15 million per episode, just like each episode of Games of Thrones. OK, I like GOT but don't consider myself a fan, I just liked it. But to make the comparison in quality is like saying restroom wall graffiti is Shakespearean. Just don't make the comparison, because people won't take you seriously.

I could fill reams of paper with what was wrong with the world-building, but I'll try to limit myself to the three biggest ones:

1. I'm all for blind people accomplishing things, but I really don't think they can build scenic villages with thatched huts, everything all regular and squared off with tools that are never visible. Ditto the big raft with a sail, ditto a lot of things.

2. I can understand the fights where people could detect each other through sound, but these people don't have echo location, yet they can land their weapons precisely in the heart or throat on the first try, every time.

3. If you've ever spoken with blind people, you'll notice that they only generally look in your direction while speaking, and they don't react to your facial expressions and silent body language, but these "blind" actors do all the time.

OK, so if you're still reading, you're wondering why I watched it besides boredom? The scenery was great.The show does suspense well. Even silly escape scenes (there are many) did keep me interested. And the fighting (there's lots), while not believable, was well-choreographed, if a little gory. And while I kept waiting for characters to develop as they should have but didn't, Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard both were likable people from the get-go, and I thought Momoa came closer to acting in this vehicle than he did in Aquaman, where his "acting," well, it shouldn't even be dignified with that word. So it was just good enough to keep me wondering where it would go, which wasn't anywhere all that great.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.