Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the cousin reunion reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Asgardian

Oct 27 2020, 1:44pm

Post #1 of 2 (80 views)
Shortcut
It's the cousin reunion reading thread! Can't Post

I have to make this short this morning. A cousin who I like a great deal but who I don't see very often is in town, and we're going to meet for an hour or so at a mall---all the better for social-distancing. Wouldn't you know, she's come to North Texas from her home in Florida during the worst patch of weather we've had since last winter. At least it's not actually SNOWING.

I finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari. I'm sorry I had to rush through it in order to get it back to the library and am thinking of buying an e-version of it. Yes, it's that good. It's history, anthropology, economics, politics, religion, science. It's as thought-provoking as anything I've read in ages, addressing how and why we human beings are who we are, and what we might become in the future.

The book was written in 2014, so I went on-line to see if Harari had spoken about the world we're living in today. Yes---I found an essay published by the Financial Times.

I'm still listening to Anne of Green Gables, which is a gentle and enjoyable contrast. And I read the latest Trends and Traditions from Colonial Williamsburg, which includes an article about how smallpox affected the American Revolution. George Washington ordered that his troops be inoculated against it.

So what have you been reading as you stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ioreth
Spider-person

Oct 31 2020, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 2 (48 views)
Shortcut
nearly only favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything Jane Austen - several times over ... And rewatching the film favorites I have that - currently still rather obsessed with the new Emma - it has soooo pretty and accurate costumes!!!!!
Lots of nice vegan cookbooks and baking books - and tomorrow I will order some more :P ... tomorrow is the first of the new month and have myself allowed myself to buy things again at that day.

Re-reading lots of Anne of Green Gables too!

And some german favorites like the "Trotzkopf" which I guess noone here anyway has heard of (first published I think in 1885) ...
Some nice childrens books like The Secret Garden.

that is: comfy non-scary things which I know by heart and love with my heart :)
Since it is autumn I might be re-reading the LOTR again - but depends a bit on my new job if I will have the time or not ...

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Oct 31 2020, 10:28pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.