Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
We're close to Halloween now: what are you watching?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 24 2020, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 31 (331 views)
Shortcut
We're close to Halloween now: what are you watching? Can't Post

I came across a mockumentary from 2006 on Amazon Prime, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, which I'd classify as mildly amusing/dark humor. Young journalists, not coincidentally patterned after the team in Blair Witch Project, do a documentary on a man who's planning to pull off a mass murder of teens a la Michael Myers, and they calmly interview and film him as he explains his prep work. He's quite chatty and more affable than spooky. (My favorite laugh was when they show him sweaty from working out, and he complains about how much cardio a killer has to do to keep ahead of his victims and appear in places they don't expect--hard work, man!) It takes a darker turn as they continue following him as he implements that plan. Not a must-see, but entertaining.

I also did a re-watch of the original Poseidon Adventure, which isn't scary, but is suspenseful. I remembered it as being Gene Hackman-centric when I saw it as a kid and he seemed very heroic, but for some reason, this time my attention was more drawn to Shelley Winters, not as a hero, but just as one of the more interesting people. She has considerable screen presence and a reasonably nuanced character. And unlike Gene Hackman's character, she wasn't bossy and angry all the time. Then reading about the origin of the story, it was a shocker that it was based on the Queen Mary turning on its side in real life, but recovering rather than capsizing. Thank goodness for ballast!

So what are you watching, scary or otherwise?

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Oct 24 2020, 11:30pm)

Starling
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 12:20am

Post #2 of 31 (285 views)
Shortcut
Oh I love The Poseidon Adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a goody! I have always loved 70's disaster movies and used to watch them a lot. Then after experiencing disaster first hand, I went off them for a bit...
I'm always a bit late to the party with things, but I just finished watching Patrick Melrose. Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely brilliant in it, and really gets to access his full range.
The scene of him 'melting' along a hotel wall while elegantly wasted is quite astounding.
He is just as much a superb physical actor as anything else.

Otaku-sempai
Avenger

Oct 25 2020, 12:53am

Post #3 of 31 (285 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...right now Svengoolie is airing Mighty Joe Young (the original) on Comet TV.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 25 2020, 12:55am)

Ataahua
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 25 2020, 1:12am

Post #4 of 31 (280 views)
Shortcut
Greenland - 3.5/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

A solid end-of-the-world action film that's more about the characters than the disaster, but ends up exactly where you expect it to.

I'm a sucker for Gerard Butler so I was in my happy place watching this movie. However I was pleasantly surprised to see Morena Baccarin's role being more than 'wife', and that the focus was on how ordinary people will react in extraordinary circumstances. Certainly worth a look.

Having finished season three of Handmaid's Tale I'm now watching season one (which I skipped as I had read the book). I'm really impressed with how the original story was translated to screen, especially the added relationships that flesh out the points that Atwood was making. It's also intriguing to see a softer June, before she became radicalised to fight back rather than just survive.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 3:36am

Post #5 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
Handmaid's Tale is on my must-watch list [In reply to] Can't Post

if it ever becomes more widely available or if I subscribe for it. I really liked Atwood's book, and by all accounts, they did the story justice. I remember it was a dystopia that was crazy and spooky, but it also seemed real enough to give me the creeps.

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 3:37am

Post #6 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying to find The Towering Inferno too online [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of those 70s disaster movies were good, and it was one of them. I think Poseidon still set the standard. It helped having an all-star cast like Inferno did.

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 3:40am

Post #7 of 31 (274 views)
Shortcut
As a sort of alternative to King Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wanted to see that movie. So many movies, so little time.

sevilodorf
Justice League

Oct 25 2020, 4:35am

Post #8 of 31 (266 views)
Shortcut
Less than six degrees of separation to Poseidon Adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the high school coaches was the officer directly behind the captain when the wave hit. When the movie came to the small town I lived in -- practically everyone went to clap and applaud his three seconds of fame.

I like that version because of Roddy McDowell and Shelley Winters.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 25 2020, 6:35am

Post #9 of 31 (267 views)
Shortcut
No scary stuff for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I get worse at handling horror every year. Angelic We did watch Hocus Pocus recently, as my girlfriend strangely hadn't seen it before. It's aged and is goofier than I remember, but you can't beat Bette Midler singing "I Put a Spell on You" in that costume. Laugh

I own the fantastic Ingmar Bergman Criterion boxset, so I've been going through all of his work (many rewatches). It's a film school in itself.

I've also been going through the filmography of Wim Wenders, whose only work I had seen up until recently was the renowned Paris, Texas. Many beautiful road films, which is invigorating in a time when road trips and travel aren't in the cards.

I also watched the new Borat film. I don't think I can write about that one without stepping onto the no-politics landmine, but it is just about what I expected. Angelic

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 25 2020, 6:38am

Post #10 of 31 (262 views)
Shortcut
Svengoolie [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually didn't realize Rich Koz was still alive! I remember hearing he had a heart attack several years ago, and I guess I must have incorrectly assumed the worst.

I can't tell you how many times I watched Rich introduce his Three Stooges marathons years ago (perhaps he still does them).

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 25 2020, 6:41am

Post #11 of 31 (264 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't finish the pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Too intense for me, at least at the time I tried watching. Then again, I appear to react poorly to alt-future dystopic shows: I ditched The Man in the High Castle after one episode too.

I know the motto with TV is "it gets better after X seasons" but, being a movie person primarily, I just don't have the desire to watch that much TV. Angelic

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 25 2020, 6:59am

Post #12 of 31 (261 views)
Shortcut
Oh and how could I forget... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been watching the new season of The Great British Baking Show every week on Netflix. Personally, I've always had a bit of a mixed relationship with cooking shows given the plight of hunger globally (especially right now) but, that being said, this show is a pleasant diversion from RL. Brownie week got me to make brownies mid-show - I couldn't resist!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 25 2020, 6:59am)

Starling
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 7:13am

Post #13 of 31 (257 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes that is excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

As were the first couple of Airplane movies, although it's near impossible to watch those with a straight face now!
I would add The Cassandra Crossing to my list of faves.

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 4:12pm

Post #14 of 31 (238 views)
Shortcut
Abundant food and less food [In reply to] Can't Post

Your comment

Personally, I've always had a bit of a mixed relationship with cooking shows given the plight of hunger globally (especially right now)

reminded me of a Youtube clip showing Trevor Noah answering audience questions before his show started. He said growing up in South Africa with a single mom and limited means, she would let him watch just about anything on TV, including violent scenes where people get blown up, until they came to something like a food fight in a school cafeteria. Then she'd be triggered at the thought of Americans just throwing food around and wasting it, and she'd demand they change the channel.

Since Dune is somewhere on our movie horizon, I'm reminded of a book scene where the wealthy elites have a dinner party and ceremonially pour water on the floor rather than drink it just to flaunt their status, this on the desert planet Arrakis where people wear body suits to recycle their perspiration since water is so horribly scarce. Frank Herbert hit a "let them eat cake" nerve there. (Yes, I know poor Marie said something else, but that sentiment stands.)

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 25 2020, 4:13pm

Post #15 of 31 (237 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm not sure I could watch any of the Airport movies after Airplane! came out. Crash positions! // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 25 2020, 9:57pm

Post #16 of 31 (223 views)
Shortcut
That clip sounds familiar [In reply to] Can't Post

At the start of every episode this season, the thought of "how on earth did they procure all of these ingredients en masse this spring/early summer?" Meanwhile, I've seen folks sharing posts online in the UK circulating restaurants around the country offering to feed people who have nothing to eat.

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 26 2020, 11:24am

Post #17 of 31 (210 views)
Shortcut
Love MJY more than KK! [In reply to] Can't Post

Joe has SO MUCH expression thanks to Ray Harryhausen and a great character they developed. They show the love of a human's influence on the personality of a gorilla... including little things like spitting and drumming his fingers. So many little things to watch for. But his face/reaction to the fire is incredible!
I like how they have Robert Armstrong as the lead protagonist... the club owner who exploits both King Kong and Joe. I'm also a huge Ben Johnson fan who is found in many of the older John Wayne movies. He plays the cowboy in MJY and was a world-champion rider/roper in real life.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 26 2020, 11:50am

Post #18 of 31 (211 views)
Shortcut
I have a Halloween Holiday List [In reply to] Can't Post

Although they are not all Halloween-themed. Here's part of it (all originals):
Hocus Pocus (there's a reunion of the primary actors out there this year!)
Practical Magic
Poltergeist
Darkness Falls
The Blob
The Thing [From Another World]
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Mighty Joe Young
THEM!
The Birds
Winchester (Winchester House)
Shaun of the Dead
Paul
Warm Bodies
Constantine
Van Helsing
Sixth Sense
+more

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 26 2020, 7:03pm

Post #19 of 31 (197 views)
Shortcut
That's a good endorsement [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I ever felt all that sorry for King Kong. In a way, of course I did, because he was abused and exploited and scared, but I'm not sure he was ever given much personality other than liking pretty women and food.

CuriousG
Asgardian

Oct 26 2020, 7:03pm

Post #20 of 31 (194 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering why I've never seen Hocus Pocus. Added to my list! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Avenger

Oct 26 2020, 10:29pm

Post #21 of 31 (192 views)
Shortcut
I watch "Hocus Pocus" just for that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

the Divine Miss M is wicked in that one!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Annael
Avenger

Oct 26 2020, 10:37pm

Post #22 of 31 (192 views)
Shortcut
binging "Grace and Frankie" [In reply to] Can't Post

I resisted watching it when it started, but was totally hooked by episode 3. Martin Sheen hasn't sold me on his character yet, but I love all the others.

And "Star Trek: Discovery" has started up again!

Other than that, the World Series. Game 3 was possibly the most exciting baseball game I've ever seen. It didn't matter that we don't really care which team wins. That could have been a movie, with the rookie-with-a-lousy-batting-average batting last with his team behind and HE WINS THE GAME because of a series of flukes . . .I'm reminded of the adage "it doesn't matter how many baseball games you've seen, you can always see something you've never seen before."

I recorded "Practical Magic" and am looking forward to watching it again. Surprised to see how bad the ratings are on rottentomatoes; I loved it. Some of the town scenes are filmed in Coupeville, a town I've visited many times, so that's fun for me. And . . . young Aiden Quinn . . .

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 27 2020, 11:20am

Post #23 of 31 (172 views)
Shortcut
Watch for [In reply to] Can't Post

the young man who plays Billy... and eventually plays Abe Sapien in Hellboy and the Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four. Then, if you're a fan of NCIS, check out who play Thackery ;)

Amuck! Amuck-amuck-amuck-amuck-amuck....

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Avenger

Oct 27 2020, 4:11pm

Post #24 of 31 (166 views)
Shortcut
and Saru in "Star Trek: Discovery" [In reply to] Can't Post

Grammaboodawg, if you're a fan of Doug Jones, you'd love "Discovery."

-- Gaston Bachelard

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 28 2020, 6:46am

Post #25 of 31 (130 views)
Shortcut
She is, indeed! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.