Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 26 2020, 4:20pm

Post #51 of 63 (101 views)
Shortcut
20 grocery bags full??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma, you don't just have black walnut trees, you have a black walnut FARM! Laugh

Has Pickle invented any doggy-games to play with them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn

Oct 26 2020, 4:27pm

Post #52 of 63 (106 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to that puzzle: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.seriouspuzzles.com/...aw-puzzle-by-gibson/

All Aboard! It does have a nice variety of colors and things, doesn't it!

dernwyn

Oct 26 2020, 4:52pm

Post #53 of 63 (99 views)
Shortcut
We did do a nice drive [In reply to] Can't Post

to Gillette Castle state park, a half-hour from our house, with woods all around on the drive. The tips of many trees are now bare, but there are still lots of colors lower down, and it's always a pleasant view of the Connecticut River from the castle's courtyard.

Yes, any pets that venture outside do need to be protected from stuff like heartworm! Thank goodness for the meds and vaccines.

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Oct 26 2020, 5:52pm

Post #54 of 63 (97 views)
Shortcut
It's a good road all the way [In reply to] Can't Post

with one gorgeous moment when you go over the crest of the hill near Rhuallt and the Vale of Clwyd is laid out before you (given the weather!) looking just like The Shire - the woods, the fields, the little rivers etc. If you Google 'views from Rhuallt hill, Wales' there are some fair views, alongside the usual traffic-related stuff. It was Conway before the Welsh spelling was brought in; some place names work better than others! Mold, for example, became Yr Wyddgrug - not as easy to say. Holywell became Trefynnon, which is a fair translation. Wrexham became Wrecsam which, frankly, looks like a bit of a cop-out. Languages are fascinating!

Altaira

Oct 26 2020, 9:01pm

Post #55 of 63 (91 views)
Shortcut
What a fabulous trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you had a chance to take a much-needed break and get out into the open air and nature. I must admit I turn a little green with envy whenever you post about visiting the bird center. It's on the top of our list the next time we're in Rotorua. At least we got to see the kiwi hatchery at Rainbow Springs when we were last there, not to mention lots of geological activity, of course!

Hope you're easing back into work life okay. Have a great week!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira

Oct 26 2020, 9:25pm

Post #56 of 63 (90 views)
Shortcut
Tane Mauta, Lord of the Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

We visited Tane Mahuta on our Christmas visit in 2008 (I can't believe that was almost 12 years ago Shocked), We were lucky enough to also see the Four Sisters which I guess are off-limits at the moment due to kauri die-off. Not only are there amazing trees, but it's such a peaceful, almost primordial forest. A national treasure, to be sure.

A nice break, indeed! How fun to be in an area with lots of history, but family history too. Glad you and Mr Kimi had such a great time. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira

Oct 26 2020, 9:38pm

Post #57 of 63 (90 views)
Shortcut
Heee! Sprinkler system, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely time to replace them, I'd say. When we had to replace the roof on our old family home we found out the gutters are made of steel - 60 years old and still going strong. Even occasional Colorado hail storms didn't phase them.

Wow! 20 bags of walnuts and still coming! Do you ever have problems with little walnut trees coming up in the spring or do the squirrels take care of any you miss?

Hope your week is off to a good start!

Altaira

Oct 26 2020, 9:54pm

Post #58 of 63 (89 views)
Shortcut
Oooh! Glow-in-the-dark puzzles! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love a good jigsaw puzzle, too! That site definitely have a few that are tempting. Have fun making progress!

Kimi

Oct 27 2020, 4:40am

Post #59 of 63 (79 views)
Shortcut
The years do slip by. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, access to the Four Sisters is currently fenced off because of kauri die-back. Fortunately we've seen them before. It's very sad to see so many of the forest giants dying of this disease.

But Tane Mahuta is still magnificent! And yes, that kauri forest does have a very special feel about it.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Oct 27 2020, 9:19am

Post #60 of 63 (71 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link, Dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've started from the top and am working down, more or less. The top edge is still giving me trouble, though; the pieces are very similar in shape and colour.

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 27 2020, 11:38am

Post #61 of 63 (62 views)
Shortcut
Little Walnut trees everywhere! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently my soil is perfect for these! They pop up in the lawn and in the field. One Spring I had an interesting driveway 2-track of seedlings when I thought I could fill the very muddy deep ruts created after the deep frost thaw with the nuts from the previous Fall (I left piled in the field).

The squirrels do love them! The nuts they eat leave behind broken shards as sharp as glass or like walking on tacks.

What's weird is that every few years, there are no nuts at all! Like the poor tree is taking a breather ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 27 2020, 11:41am

Post #62 of 63 (63 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's not his squeaky toy (FISH), he's not interested. Not in ropes, balls, Frisbees, or anything else. The smell of the nuts is very pungent... so that might be a factor.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 27 2020, 11:43am

Post #63 of 63 (63 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this!! *drools*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.