Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Oct 23 2020, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 63 (254 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta! Can't Post

Hello, everyone! It's Friday once again, and once again it's time for Fiesta!

We're having typical Colorado weather here: a high of 38 (3C) today, close to 68 (20 C) tomorrow, then 22 (-6 C) and snow on Sunday). So, our plans for the weekend are to get any necessary errands and shopping done tomorrow (I'm still returning a few things from the Great Remodel), then hunker down inside on Sunday, with occasional forays outside to shovel snow (depending on how much we get). At least the snow will put an end to the seasonal fires!

What exciting things did you do this week, and/or what amazing plans do you have for the weekend? We're featuring hot spiced cider and mulled wine at the bar today (blender is still up and running for our southern hemisphere friends), and wondrous smells are coming from the buffet table: deep dish pizza and freshly baked cookies, oh my! So, place your orders and let us know how you're doing!

*kicks juke box* "Southern Cross* by CSN starts to play.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! CoolHeartLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 23 2020, 4:09pm)

dernwyn

Oct 23 2020, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 63 (195 views)
Shortcut
*opens door, takes deep breath* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, the aromas of spiced cider AND pizza! I'd like a mug of the cider, please, Altaira, and a small slice of the pizza. Smile

Last night was our school's "virtual open house", with scheduled Zoom times for the classes, and pre-recorded videos for art, library, etc., and to acknowledge all the work the staff put into it our admins treated us to breakfast this morning. Coffee, donuts, muffins, and bagels with cream cheese...and then the PTO came by with snacks and seltzers. They do like to treat us!

No plans for the weekend yet, except for taking the cat to the vet for her annual shots (they'll come out to the car and take her in, without us, I'm hoping our very shy old rescue lady won't be too traumatized by it...we have the pheromone spray to help calm her).

How have you been faring with the fires, Altaira? I can't imagine how huge they are, and have done a lot of damage! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira

Oct 23 2020, 4:59pm

Post #3 of 63 (188 views)
Shortcut
Your school does it again! [In reply to] Can't Post

They have the best ideas. I'm assuming the coffee, donuts, etc. weren't virtual. Laugh

We're far enough south of where the latest fires were that we didn't get much more than some haze, but we could definitely see the plumes of smoke rolling out of the mountains. They usually don't last this late into the fall, but it was a very hot end to the summer without the usual 'monsoon' rains of late August (monsoon in Colorado meaning maybe an inch or two of rain over several weeks).

I don't know who trips to the vet are more traumatic for - the cat or the owner, lol! Good luck!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 23 2020, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 63 (185 views)
Shortcut
Deep dish, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

*grabs fork & knife* Don't mind if I do! Cool (LA actually has a great deep dish pizza restaurant that's very authentic Chicago style - they have vegan pies too!)

A few grey overcast days here in LA, which is a bit out of the ordinary given that we're at the tail end of our summer season. It makes it hard to get out of bed, but it's better than 90+ degrees, if you ask me! Glad to hear Colorado will be getting some snow - I hope it falls in all the right places and extinguishes as much of the fires as possible. Hoping Aunt Dora is still doing okay.

Not a whole lot going on in my neck of the woods, outside the usual. I'd love nothing more than to fast forward to, say, two weeks from now, for those who get my drift. Angelic On a small positive note, it looks like I'm going to do some low-stress, part time data entry for my roommate's company on the side. He said it's very mindless work, so if I can essentially pay my rent off of that, I consider that a big win for the near future! Plus, having some structure part of the week may actually help me better manage the rest of my time during the week.

Hope everyone continues to stay safe! So strange seeing that here, in the U.S., cases are especially on the rise in the rural areas rather than the cities. My mom's boss tested positive last week, but thankfully she hadn't really been near her.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira

Oct 23 2020, 7:33pm

Post #5 of 63 (182 views)
Shortcut
Definitely better than 90+ degrees! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you on that! I'm definitely not a warm weather person, well a HOT weather person, rather. You can always put on more layers to keep warm but there's only so much you can take off to cool down - in public anyway. Laugh

The data entry sounds perfect: something you can do from home *and* help pay the rent. Getting up and walking around if and when it gets too monotonous should help. Congrats!

Hope you have an excellent weekend!

Ataahua

Oct 23 2020, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 63 (175 views)
Shortcut
A sparkling mimosa, please barkeep! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're heading into a long weekend and I feel like celebrating. :)

I feel a bit cheeky saying that as I'm coming to the end of two weeks' leave from work. It's the first break I've had since January and boy I really needed it. I took a few days in Rotorua, where I met this little lady:

She's a 22-day-old karearea (NZ falcon), a species that's even rarer than kiwi. Ten days after this pic, she'll be flying. (For comparison, here's a fully grown female karearea and a fully grown male, at half the size.)

While there I indulged my geek-gene for geology/volcanology and visited Waimangu Volcanic Valley, which includes Lake Rotomahana. When Tarawera erupted in 1886 it wiped out nearby Maori villages and also the spectacular Pink and White Terraces. Remnants of the terraces were only recently discovered beneath the lake's waters. It's a beautiful area, with lots of geological activity still occurring, and we got to see the nearest crater of Mt Tarawera (that vaguely heart-shaped hole) from the lake. Quite eerie, really, given how powerful that 1886 eruption was and there we were, happily jaunting about on a lake above land that the volano had buried in hot ash.

Labour Weekend is a day for planting so I've got a couple of tamarillo trees to dig-in, and lots of weeding to get on top of. We're due for good temperatures before another cold snap next week - yay Spring! - so I'll get outdoors as much as I can to enjoy the warmth.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi

Oct 23 2020, 10:44pm

Post #7 of 63 (178 views)
Shortcut
Back from a nice break. [In reply to] Can't Post

We went north for a few days, to the lovely Hokianga Harbour. It's an area rich in history, and still relatively peaceful and isolated. We've passed through a couple of times, but this was the first time we'd actually stayed there.

Highlights: lovely views; fascinating geology (boulders); historical remains; crossing the harbour to the even quieter town of Kohokohu; good fish and chips :) from a little seaside store; visiting giant kauri trees.

Some photos here.

A bit of family history, too: we visited the church where Mr Kimi's great-uncle was based a century ago. And then we found the old store where said great-uncle crashed his motorbike through the front window! (He was badly injured, but made a good recovery, and lived on for many years).

Thanks for "Southern Cross" - one of my favourites.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua

Oct 23 2020, 10:56pm

Post #8 of 63 (169 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know there were accretion boulders up north! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I suppose they can form anywhere, really.

I still haven't seen a ruru in the wild. I know we have them - I hear them enough at night - but they really are well camouflaged. And, I'm mostly watching my feet when I'm bush-walking! Laugh

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 23 2020, 11:22pm

Post #9 of 63 (166 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

First off... thank you for choosing Southern Cross... one of my all-time favourite songs. *sigh*

I think getting ready for a safe, quiet hunker-down during the bad weather is a great idea. WOW! What a shift of weather! I hope, hope, hope it does knock out the fires. This has been so horrible! We hit 74 degrees today and will be about 42 tomorrow (Saturday), but at least it's not as extreme as yours!

It's been a quiet week around here while I stack wood, rake black walnuts, and put up some new gutters along the back of the house. The others were 30 years old and acted more like a sprinkler system than a drainage system!

Thanks for taking such great care of us. I'm gonna grab a warm cider and maybe hunt down a donut :D Have a great weekend!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 23 2020, 11:29pm

Post #10 of 63 (164 views)
Shortcut
What a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

A virtual open house AND breakfast! Wonderful :D I hope your school year is going smoothly. Everyone should be adjusted to the new reality by now.

I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy the last of the colours outside. The season is trying to hang on around here; but t'is the season to grab my coat every time I stick my nose out the door ;)

I hope kitty handled the shots well. They still come out to the car for me/us, too. It seems to work out very well.

CHEERS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 23 2020, 11:32pm

Post #11 of 63 (166 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Close call for your Mom! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad she's ok! And doing the side job is perfect timing. You never know... something might spin off of that.

I hope you have a fabulous week and that you can enjoy some great walks in the cooler weather.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 23 2020, 11:41pm

Post #12 of 63 (164 views)
Shortcut
Lookit that face!!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you got some time off... but this trip was worth it just to see that amazing bird! Oh man... I'm so envious of your adventure. I love geology/volcanology, too. I saw a special on tv earlier this year about the eastern cost of the north island where they "drained the ocean" and showed the coastline off shore.

I hope you enjoy your remaining time off and have more time to play outside. Have a great weekend, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Oct 23 2020, 11:50pm

Post #13 of 63 (164 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Ataahua and you have spent your time on such incredible discoveries! I'm so envious! I'm glad you're healed up enough to really enjoy this :D

Have a wonderful weekend... and stay off the motorbikes!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi

Oct 24 2020, 12:12am

Post #14 of 63 (163 views)
Shortcut
Far less well-known [In reply to] Can't Post

than the Moeraki ones. We only heard about them a few years ago, and that's one of the reasons we've wanted to go back to the Hokianga and stay at least a whole day (access is tide-dependant). Moeraki and Koutu (these ones) are the only two places with them I've heard of in New Zealand.

They're really impressive! I saw a few online complaints saying there are only a few and they're small, accompanied by pics of tiny little rocks clearly taken from near the car park. If they'd bothered to walk on a little way, they'd have been surprised!

One of the roads on the way had a big sign saying "No Boulders Here", which I thought spoke of a certain weariness :)

We were astonished to come across that ruru (Mr Kimi spotted it after I'd walked straight past). We hear them every night, but had never seen one, other than a rescue at Wingspan.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua

Oct 24 2020, 12:41am

Post #15 of 63 (159 views)
Shortcut
Our local zoo [In reply to] Can't Post

rehabilitates injured ruru and I've seen a couple close-up, from outside the cages (as well as at Wingspan a few years ago). I was surprised by how small they are.

BTW, the lead zookeeper says rehabing ruru is a breeze but injured kereru are a right pain - it takes them days to realise that the food the keepers are giving them is actually food. (Really tiny brains, apparently.)

I had to laugh about the boulder reviews: drive all that way and miss out on seeing what they came for all because of a short walk. Laugh

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua

Oct 24 2020, 12:41am

Post #16 of 63 (164 views)
Shortcut
You wouldn't happen to remember the name of the programme? [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds right up my alley - I'd like to see if I can find it online.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi

Oct 24 2020, 1:04am

Post #17 of 63 (157 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn

Oct 24 2020, 3:00am

Post #18 of 63 (152 views)
Shortcut
Yep, they were the full-calorie kind! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

We managed to capture the cat with little trouble; she's an old pro at sensing when we want to take her to the vet, and in the past has been very efficient at hiding, but today after a brief chase she just gave up and went limp, as if "I'm getting too old for this". At the vet's, the aide took her cage from the car to inside for the checkup and Rabies shot and nail-clipping, and brought her back out, with the bill, and we chatted with her about how it had gone. The old lady is now acting like nothing happened. Smile We're not sure how old she is - 13 or 14, maybe.

Here's to hoping and praying for a good covering of snow over the fires this weekend!

dernwyn

Oct 24 2020, 3:10am

Post #19 of 63 (157 views)
Shortcut
Adjusting and being innovative [In reply to] Can't Post

are the key words, and we keep the kids super-safe! This past week there was one new case in the town, which, because the population is so small (about 4200), put us in the "red" zone (defined as 15 cases per 100,000). But the town leaders say that the kids are safer in school than anywhere else except home, so we stay open. More kids keep returning to in-school from distance-learning.

I was delighted with how easy it was for the vet visit! You've got quite a menagerie to take for their visits, have you ever taken more than one at a time?

Still some leaves clinging to the trees here, I'm thinking a long drive through the rural areas will be nice this weekend. Smile

dernwyn

Oct 24 2020, 3:16am

Post #20 of 63 (153 views)
Shortcut
"authentic Chicago style" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been treated to Chicago-style, in Chicago - now I'm spoiled! Laugh Do they have avocado pizza in LA?

Hey, that's great to get the part-time work, sometime "mindless" helps you focus on other things - and you're right, having some structure will be good.

Yikes, one's boss testing positive is a bit too close for comfort, I hope your mom made sure she hadn't been in the same areas as her boss!

dernwyn

Oct 24 2020, 3:38am

Post #21 of 63 (154 views)
Shortcut
How adorable! [In reply to] Can't Post

And how magnificent she'll be when she's grown. Heart

"Eerie" is a good way to describe floating over a "buried treasure" such as that! It's so hard to imagine such a powerful explosion - and the destruction it caused.

Have fun in the garden!

dernwyn

Oct 24 2020, 3:45am

Post #22 of 63 (156 views)
Shortcut
What a story! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was Mr Kimi's great-uncle vicar of the church? Now I'm envisioning a "man of the cloth" on a motorcycle! Do they know how he came to crash - was he avoiding something in the road?

That made a very nice holiday! A ruru? Is that the cute bird in the tree?

dernwyn

Oct 24 2020, 3:48am

Post #23 of 63 (157 views)
Shortcut
30-year-old gutters? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, it is indeed time for those to be replaced, you're fortunate they haven't fallen down on their own! Crazy

So have you tried cracking open those walnuts yet? Smile

Kimi

Oct 24 2020, 4:03am

Post #24 of 63 (156 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he was. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was vicar of the whole Hokianga, actually - and if you look at the area on a map, and note that it was in a part of the country referred to as "the roadless north", looking after that huge parish must have been quite a task! We speculate that the motorbike (in theory, anyway) would have made getting around a *bit* easier - easier than walking, anyway. Back then it would've been a light bike with a small engine, and he could've wheeled it on and off a ferry or other boat without too much trouble. A horse would have been better still, and probably what earlier vicars had used, but he was from a city family with little money, and would have been no horseman.

The newspaper accounts say he lost control of the bike. A gravel road, of course, and he'd only arrived in the area a week before, so might've been new to a motorbike (again, speculation on our part). He was well into his forties, and picking up a skill like that might not have been easy!

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

cats16
Wakandian

Oct 24 2020, 8:41am

Post #25 of 63 (149 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, it's a totally different situation when *I'm* the one who's chilled to the bone...then we need to turn on the heat. Tongue

Thanks - hope you have a good one, too!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.