Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 15

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 15, 12:19pm

Post #1 of 9 (739 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 15 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope you're able to keep moving toward your own personal goal whatever that may be... and however you can get there! Walking, yard work, personal/formal gym, whatever you like to do that keeps you moving :D Give us an update of your goal and progress... if you like... cuz all of us know how limited our time is and how challenging it can be to get out and about.

It's an incredible time of the year here in Michigan and the northern US as the fall colours are on HyperDrive! It makes all the cooler days more brilliant and the backdrop of changeable seasonal clouds, imho, breath-taking! I did a road trip north through half the state to Lake Michigan. In that one day the skies went from flawlessly clear, to billowing white poofy that were overtaken by dark blue-purple storm clouds. RAIN! Then an hour later, no rain... but there's a cloud battle of the dark mingling with the poofy white and you could see bands of rain in the distance. The personality of the fall skies are impressive and expressive!

I didn't take these pics, but they show exactly what I saw on my Quest :) I predict the coming couple of weeks will mean a LOT of raking as the NW winds continue to kick up and manicure the trees. *sigh* What a show!

Meanwhile, Bilbo, Gandalf and I have finally left the fountain behind and have entered the forests on the last miles of the Road to Rivendell. Now is when I wish I had a pony ;)

*waves fondly* Stay Safe! Keep Moving! And I'll see you on the Road :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15, 4:26pm

Post #2 of 9 (713 views)
Shortcut
So relaxing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Autumn scenery is eye-candy, isn't it - good for you, and no calories! Laugh

Where's that windy road, gramma? What a pleasant way to drive through a forest!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16, 10:48am

Post #3 of 9 (660 views)
Shortcut
All of the shots [In reply to] Can't Post

are of Northern Michigan up in the top of your ring finger (if you're looking at the back of your left hand as a map)... in the Petosky area.

I went to Charlevoix (Mushroom House) and met my Sister for a walk on the beach. Mile after mile looks like that until you hit the water (Lake Michigan). Actually, the whole of the upper lower peninsula and the upper peninsula looks just like that!

What's also cool is passing through the 45th parallel (halfway between the equator and north pole) about 1.5 hrs north of where I live :D

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16, 12:14pm

Post #4 of 9 (655 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Is there a sign anywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

That you're crossing the 45th? Cool

On the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) in the Berkshires, at the highest point is a sign about this being at 1,729 ft above sea level, and the next place you reach this elevation on I-90 is in South Dakota. We're so "flat"! Laugh But I do like geography signs.

Have you visited the Upper Peninsula much? One of my Ohio aunts and her husband used to live there in the winter for the ski-mobiling!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 9 (591 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a small green sign by the median. I think I got a pic of it from a previous drive. There's also a sign about 10 miles SE of me noting the spot smack-dab in the middle of the Lower Peninsula (Middle of the Mit).

I-90 has the highest AND lowest points marked!!!??? :D That's so cool!

Yes I have been across the Mackinac Bridge (pronounced Mack-in-aw) to the UP (Upper Peninsula). I've been up to the Soo Locks and Tahquamenon Falls. There are about 200 waterfalls of various sizes across the UP; but about 7 impressive waterfalls. I've followed part of Biker's ride waterfall tour of the UP; but still have to finish it. You can go forever through the endless forest and never see a single tower or power line. It's incredible :)

My nephew and his family live in Marquette along the northern shore on Lake Superior. It takes my Sister (his mom) about 7 hours to drive the length of Michigan from where she lives north of Detroit to Marquette. This time of year, you can't describe the beauty of the hills, trees, and water. The roads like the one in the pic are everywhere.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 17, 8:53pm

Post #6 of 9 (567 views)
Shortcut
Love that middle-of-the-mitt sign! [In reply to] Can't Post

"...as closely as can be determined." Considering the shape of the LP, that was quite a task!

I went searching online, and found other states that have put up 45th Parallel signs as well. I bet there are folks who have the "hobby" of collecting pics of themselves at these signs!

The UP is such a place of wild beauty. Your nephew must love living there (although it can get quite cold in winter!). Seven hours? That's how long it takes to drive from London to Edinburgh - you could probably squeeze England proper into Michigan!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 18, 2:55pm

Post #7 of 9 (483 views)
Shortcut
*grabs bucket list* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... I'd take on that Quest of chasing the 45th Parallel if I had a newer car and the fundage. That would be so much fun!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 22, 11:35am

Post #8 of 9 (245 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're having a great week and that you're keeping on the move. Nowadays, we're keeping on the move to help us keep warm! The colder weather is trying to commandeer the days here in Michigan... which tends to happen this time of year ;) Sadly, the trees have been nearly stripped of their beautiful leaves and they prepare for their long winter sleep. And so it begins. UNLESS you're in the Southern Hemi! Spring is in the air! :D How I'd love to summer in Michigan and winter in NZ. *sigh*

What have you been doing to prepare for the change of seasons? Are you raking FALLen leaves or weeding out your garden for the newly SPRINGing flowers? I'm on my 3rd round of raking up black walnuts and their leaves for a total of 14 BIG wheelbarrows full. That big ol' tree is very busy and is taking aim at me as it hurls its bounty at my head! *shakes fist* DO YOUR BEST, YOU HUORN!

Anyway *straightens collar* Bilbo, Gandalf and I are finally watching for landmarks surrounding Rivendell. We'll be there in a few days, so Bilbo and I are already planning our first several feasts. And honestly... I think Gandalf is quietly doing the same. We haven't been quiet about our menu, so I'm sure there will be an extra plate at the table without saying a word ;)

*waves fondly* Have a wonderful week... STAY SAFE... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 22, 11:36am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Thu, 1:52pm

Post #9 of 9 (15 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're having a wonderful week and making headway on your own personal Quest :) Have you moved your outdoor action indoors yet? I'm still sneaking out in the afternoon when the temps are as high as they're going to be; but it's definitely coat weather now. *sigh* So what are you doing to get your miles in?

I'm spending more time on my treadmill. I usually got about 1 hour a day in all summer; but now that's increasing with less time spent outside. I'm working on harvesting my Black Walnuts. I laid them out in the driveway and let hobbity (my SUV) smash the outer shells by driving over them. Gotta admit, that was kinda fun :D Now for the drudge of peeling off that outer covering and starting the process of cleaning the remaining nuts/shells. These stain and smell mightily, so rubber gloves under gardening gloves helps protect; but the nastiness still filters through. Obviously there's not a lot of mileage in this project; so I'm working in other activity/exercising to keep up. I'd rather be hauling rocks and walking around the block ;)

Bilbo, Gandalf and I finally made it to Rivendell!!! The impact of walking into a room with a ceiling isn't as strange this time as it was when we went from mountain caverns to trudging around Mirkwood and finally landing at Beorn's. Bilbo and I felt like ducking down at that point. Now it's long anticipated... and appreciated :D Soon we'll be leaving for the Shire. Each of us are very ready to get there and close this adventure's chapter. It's good to have this time for Bilbo to catch up on his book about these past weeks.

*waves fondly* Good luck on your Travels! Stay safe... and I'll see you on the Road :D

sample

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Thu, 1:53pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.