Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What TV content rating would you prefer the Amazon series to have? (US TV Parental Guidelines system)
Poll: What TV content rating would you prefer the Amazon series to have? (US TV Parental Guidelines system)
TV-G
TV-PG
TV-14
TV-MA
View Results (35 votes)

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Oct 16 2020, 6:30pm

Post #1 of 11 (10977 views)
Shortcut
What TV content rating would you prefer the Amazon series to have? (US TV Parental Guidelines system) Can't Post

I realize that different countries have different systems, but I am most familiar with the US system, and also I presume each episode will receive a US content rating first before it is rated elsewhere, Amazon being a US company. The US TV Parental Guidelines system is perhaps less well known worldwide than the MPAA film rating system (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17), but quite similar:

TV-G (General Audience) - Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages. Although this rating does not signify a program designed specifically for children, most parents may let younger children watch this program unattended. It contains little or no violence, no strong language and little or no sexual dialogue or situations.

TV-PG (Parental Guidance Suggested) - This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. The theme itself may call for parental guidance and/or the program contains one or more of the following: moderate violence (V), some sexual situations (S), infrequent coarse language (L) or some suggestive dialogue (D).

TV-14 (Parents Strongly Cautioned) - This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age. Parents are strongly urged to exercise greater care in monitoring this program and are cautioned against letting children under the age of 14 watch unattended. This program contains one or more of the following: intense violence (V), intense sexual situations (S), strong coarse language (L) or intensely suggestive dialogue (D).

TV-MA (Mature Audiences Only) - This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17. This program contains one or more of the following: graphic violence (V), explicit sexual activity (S) or crude indecent language (L).

I realize that, for some shows, not all episodes may have the same rating. For the purposes of this poll, assume that all episodes will have the same rating. Also for the purposes of this poll, I am not distinguishing different types of content that may affect the rating (D, L, S, V). What rating would you prefer?

If you wish to qualify your response further, you may do so in a post.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 27 2020, 4:16pm

Post #2 of 11 (10310 views)
Shortcut
TV-PG [In reply to] Can't Post

We know there has to be violence, so it can't be G.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 10:48pm

Post #3 of 11 (10114 views)
Shortcut
So in my fantasy dream world ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they'd use higher rated scenes if necessary for good storytelling, but would not do it needlessly, nor needlessly much or often, and would aim for a family friendly rating for other scenes. And then, for each episode they release that has higher rated scenes in it, they'd simultaneously release a version of it where those scenes are adapted to a lower rating.

So, everyone can choose which version they want to see, and everyone is happy, and maybe they get more viewtime because some folk will analyze both versions and compare them and make half of a science of which is better for which scene and so the producers will be better off as well.

Hahahahah well dreaming is allowed right Cool Wink

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Oct 30 2020, 10:51pm)

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 12:14pm

Post #4 of 11 (10073 views)
Shortcut
dreaming [In reply to] Can't Post

the best thing with dreaming is that it is FREE :)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 21 2020, 2:54pm

Post #5 of 11 (9831 views)
Shortcut
I'd say TV-14 preferably [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, The Umbrella Academy on Netflix has a TV-14 rating, and I think (while that's obviously a very different genre and type of show) that's about the amount of violence I'd be okay with. I personally don't have a problem with there being nudity and some sexual content, as long as it's not overboard like Game Of Thrones sometimes could be. So I think I'd probably try to steer clear of the full-on TV-MA rating, but I wouldn't be totally opposed if the show did end up being MA either. But if it were up to me, I'd aim for a TV-14 rating: I don't see how the Second Age could ever be totally family-friendly, not if you're trying to keep fidelity to Tolkien.

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 26 2020, 11:10pm

Post #6 of 11 (9431 views)
Shortcut
Encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

17 votes so far and nobody has picked TV-MA.....very nice!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 27 2020, 2:15am

Post #7 of 11 (9418 views)
Shortcut
PG? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a bit surprised that more votes don't seem to favor the TV-14 range which is the most likely option for what we are likely to see (with MA as the next most likely to my mind).

Omnigeek
Lorien

Mar 25 2021, 8:08pm

Post #8 of 11 (7543 views)
Shortcut
Reaction to overusing "mature" imagery? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how much of the vote for TV-PG is a reaction to how cable TV or streaming TV channels have overused "mature" imagery to justify their "artistic" choices?
I've seen a number of movies/shows that seem to devolve into imagery that couldn't be shown on broadcast TV and in most cases, I really didn't feel it was justified from a storytelling perspective. It seems to me that Hollywood rushes to conform to a "non-conformist" standard (or lack thereof) to pound their chests as "artists". Oooh, look at me, I'm showing nekkid bodies and violence and gore! I'm just so avant garde!
I actually think it takes more talent to tell the story in a TV-G or TV-PG format which means they're more likely to pay attention to the story and dialog rather than telling the actor to strip down or resort to a lot of CGI.

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Jan 19 2022, 8:26pm

Post #9 of 11 (5280 views)
Shortcut
TV-14 [In reply to] Can't Post

So, the show has now appeared in the Amazon Prime catalog, with a TV-14 rating (in the US) for the first season. Of course, individual episodes could have different ratings, but it looks like TV-14 (and similar ratings worldwide) is what they're shooting for overall.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2022, 9:21am

Post #10 of 11 (5258 views)
Shortcut
Whatever the rating, there's also the question of complexity [In reply to] Can't Post

in the motives, relationships, histories, and such

IMHO as a former professor of child and adolescent psychology (among other arcane studies) children below age 12 usually aren't ready for some of the moral reasoning needed to appreciate the situations

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Feb 13 2022, 7:53pm

Post #11 of 11 (4980 views)
Shortcut
TV-14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,
I think it would be TV-14, for some violence and scary images like the previous films had. No need for it to be MA. While I loved Game of Thrones, Rings of Power doesn't need to be that heavy or have any sexual content in it. Tolkien and George RR Martin are two different people and two different worlds. Just because Rings of Power is going to be Amazon's big fantasy show, it doesn't need to follow in the footsteps of Game of Thrones and the Witcher.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.