Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the fall roller-coaster reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Asgardian

Oct 13 2020, 2:43pm

Post #1 of 2 (201 views)
Shortcut
It's the fall roller-coaster reading thread! Can't Post

Our temperatures go up, and then they plummet. They go up again, and then they plummet again. You'd think it was fall or something Smile We won't get much change in the color of trees here in North Texas until November, and even then we're lacking a lot of the reds that make autumn further north so pretty.

What we need here is rain!

I finished listening to Love, Lucy, the autobiography of Lucille Ball, read by her daughter Lucie Arnaz. The book ends in the mid 1960s, over twenty years before she passed away, but covers her formative years in entertaining fashion. I bring away two thoughts: She worked so hard she was almost constantly sick and/or injured, and her marriage with Desi Arnaz was such an attraction of opposites Iím surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I started listening to an Inspector Morse novel, Daughters of Cain by Colin Dexter. Itís been decades since Iíve read one of those, and I canít remember whether Iíve ever read this one. The narrator had a posh, plummy, bored, lazy, epicene accent that sounds like something out of P.G. Wodehouse played by Monty Python. Add that to a story beginning with miserable, gritty characters and events, and I gave up only three chapters in.

I'm now listening to number eleven in the Marcus Didius Falco series, One Virgin Too Many by Lindsay Davis. This is the actual text of the novel, not a dramatization like the ones I listened to a couple of months ago. As always, I love Falco's laconic voice so much I'm all right with the anachronistic turns of phrase, plus the ancient Roman setting makes for an enjoyably different read. Or listen, as the case may be.

I set aside Terry Pratchett's Jingo in order to read several books from the library. Knowing it's still there on my e-reader, waiting for me, is like having money in the bank.

I thoroughly enjoyed Science of the Magical: From the Holy Grail to Love Potions to Superpowers, by Matt Kaplan. He's a science writer with a great sense of humor and an adventurous spirit, who assesses and researches myths, legends, oracles, and other old stories with a modern scientific eye. (You have to like an author who quotes Tolkien more than once, meticulously footnoting which quotes are from the book and which are from the movies.)

I'm now reading The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley. A group of old friends come from their homes in London to celebrate New Year's Eve in a remote Scottish hunting lodge. Someone is murdered, though. So far the author has spent many, many pages on the backstories and psychology not only of the guests but of the people working at the lodge---okay, okay, I get it, they all have quirks, they all have secrets, can we please get back to the murder?

So what have you been reading as you stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

(This post was edited by Lily Fairbairn on Oct 13 2020, 2:46pm)

N.E. Brigand
Asgardian

Oct 15 2020, 5:26am

Post #2 of 2 (175 views)
Shortcut
Some Yeats. [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically The Second Coming. It's about the Lord of the Rings' designer, right?

I've also just reread the Yeats poem that lent a line to the title of an Oscar-winning film. Anyone know which one I mean?

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.