The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Who is Your Favorite Hobbit?

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Oct 8 2020, 10:03pm

Post #1 of 15 (2018 views)
Shortcut
Who is Your Favorite Hobbit? Can't Post

I was thinking about this as I was finishing up another round of reading of The Hobbit followed by the LOTR. And I think my favorite hobbit is Bilbo. I find so much in common with him. I also like Sam and Pippin as a close second and third. So my question is, who is your favorite hobbit?

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9 2020, 12:24am

Post #2 of 15 (1978 views)
Shortcut
I dunno. What day is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite Hobbit varies depending how I feel at any one time. Sometimes it's Bilbo because I can identify the most with him. Sometimes it's Frodo, Samwise or Merry.

#FidelityToTolkien

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Oct 9 2020, 12:27am

Post #3 of 15 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Great response [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2020, 11:21am

Post #4 of 15 (1970 views)
Shortcut
That has changed through the years [In reply to] Can't Post

But only between 2 hobbits... although 2 others are right there with them.

Currently and for several years, Sam is my favourite. When I first began reading LotR and for several years after that, Frodo was my favourite... and is STILL way up there with Sam. As it is with their friendship, they're so close they're nearly inseparable... so it is with how much they each mean to me. Pippin and Bilbo have always been right there with them.

My favourite overall character is Gandalf.

Bear in mind, I've been reading LotR since 1971 through many seasons of my life ;) So as different parts of the story have spoken to me and my experiences, so have the characters.

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Oct 9 2020, 2:39pm

Post #5 of 15 (1960 views)
Shortcut
I was not born yet in 1971 [In reply to] Can't Post

I bow before greatness.

J.R.R Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9 2020, 3:45pm

Post #6 of 15 (1957 views)
Shortcut
Roughly the same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bear in mind, I've been reading LotR since 1971 through many seasons of my life ;) So as different parts of the story have spoken to me and my experiences, so have the characters.

That's got to be around the same time when I first started reading The Lord of the Rings. I first encountered The Hobbit in 1969 through the chapter "Riddles in the Dark" appearing in our Fourth Grade Reader. Our middle-school library had copies of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King; The Two Towers was missing in action.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 9 2020, 3:49pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 9 2020, 4:12pm

Post #7 of 15 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Frodo is my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry and Sam tie for 2nd place. Pippin and Bilbo compete for 3rd place. My perceptions of characters can vary over the years, but I always come back to Frodo taking on the biggest burden, paying the highest price, and while remaining in M-earth, receiving the fewest rewards for it. So, he gets a special place in my reckoning.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 9 2020, 8:09pm

Post #8 of 15 (1943 views)
Shortcut
It depends [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, it depends on how I'm feeling at the time. I like Bilbo's growth as a character as his inner Tookishness took hold. I also like Sam's faithfulness and loyalty. Stalwart Samwise was always my favorite hobbit in the LOTR (Bilbo's sparse appearances don't count IMO).

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Oct 9 2020, 9:31pm

Post #9 of 15 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Samwise is also my favorite. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since I first watched PJ's LOTR films back in the early 2000's and subsequently read the book, Sam has always been my favorite. There is a great article posted here on TORN a few years ago that correctly points out that Sam is actually the main character in LOTR, it's all about him, I completely agree. His pureness of heart, heroism, profound loyalty to Frodo and above all, the fact that he becomes a family man, a husband and a dad, and that was his reward coming back from the War of the Ring, what his heart always desired. All these things speak deeply to me as a human being, he is not only my favorite hobbit but my favorite character in all of Middle-earth, with Eowyn in second place, they both had limitations and went to war to become the greatest heroes of Middle-earth. He is an inspiring character and will always be my favorite.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 10 2020, 5:57pm

Post #10 of 15 (1887 views)
Shortcut
It depends for me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever I'm actively reading the trilogy, I tend to answer with Sam. But I do understand your comment about Bilbo, especially if you've just re-read The Hobbit!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Oct 11 2020, 4:47pm

Post #11 of 15 (1843 views)
Shortcut
It would have to be Sam - [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always a sucker for a brave, loyal sidekick! In 'Sherlock' it was Watson.

CMackintosh
Rivendell

Oct 15 2020, 9:09am

Post #12 of 15 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo, hands down [In reply to] Can't Post

He was the ur-adventurer, the archetypal homebody who got shoved out of his comfort-zone and went and did things. Second would have to be Samwise Gamgee - he was also pushed out of his comfort-zone, and did many great things. Frodo would have to be third - except that at times he ranks as second. Perhaps both Sam and Frodo are two sides of one person ... :) Farmer Maggot's up there too - he doesn't know what's going on, but he'll support even the young rascal who stole mushrooms from his farm, when necessary ...

Mari D.
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 15 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Frodo, Merry and Pippin, in that order. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It used to be Pippin, because I liked Billy Boyd in the movies most of all the hobbits, both in appearance and accent. A bit superficial, I know. ;)

Now that I'm rereading FotR, it's Frodo:
For his politeness.
Merry second, for being responsible.
Pippin for his fun, teasing remarks.

AND, yes, that probably says more about what I value these years than about the characters Wink

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 10:33am

Post #14 of 15 (1247 views)
Shortcut
most of the time [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say Frodo.
Having had some losses and such early in life, having given up things myself "for the benefits of others" I most closely always have identified with him and his pain.

LadyEmmaE
Bree

Nov 7 2020, 3:29pm

Post #15 of 15 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Frodo! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the hobbits have very admirable qualities!

I found that I could relate more to Bilbo and thoroughly enjoyed Martin Freeman's portrayal in the films. However, my favourite hobbit would be...Frodo! Now bear in mind I've only read the first book (but have seen all the movies!) so I have movie!Frodo in mind.

To me, Frodo is incredibly selfless and brave. With the help of Sam, he took on an incredible, almost impossible task of destroying the ring, with chances of survival being extremely slim. Though the ring kind of made him turn funny in the end, his intentions on saving Middle Earth and putting up with the ring until it was destroyed were extremely heroic.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.