The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What runes were used by Azog?

InTheChair
Rohan

Sep 20 2020, 1:21pm

Post #1 of 3 (2798 views)
Shortcut
What runes were used by Azog? Can't Post

For any expert out there, when Tolkien wrote that Azog brandished his name in Thrors head with dwarf-runes, is there any clear distinction on which rune-system this was done in?

Would dwarf-runes refer to Angerthas Moria, or Angerthas Erebor?

I am wondering because Z seem to be a different rune in these two.

Or is the term dwarf-runes ambiguous and could refer to either?

Or even, since this is about Azog who was first named in the Hobbit, could it refer to the Old English runes used in that book?

Elthir
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2020, 5:59pm

Post #2 of 3 (2322 views)
Shortcut
I'm no expert . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . but I would guess Angerthas Moria.

The films used Angerthas Erebor however, but so far I can't find an explanation for the decision. I guess my question would be, if so, at this point in history, how would Azog know the Ereborian usage?

Or something?

InTheChair
Rohan

Oct 6 2020, 8:47pm

Post #3 of 3 (2096 views)
Shortcut
I would actually guess Angerthas Moria too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it doesn't hurt to ask around. There's always a bit of Tolkien knowledge one doesn't know about.

Thanks for the input.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.