Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How are you feeling about the upcoming "Dune" movie?
Poll: How are you feeling about the upcoming "Dune" movie?
Can't wait!
Optimistic
Not sure
Doubting
. . . what's "Dune," precious?
View Results (20 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 23 2020, 11:45pm

Post #1 of 21 (9516 views)
Shortcut
How are you feeling about the upcoming "Dune" movie? Can't Post

I'm beyond excited. The trailer looks like Denis Villeneuve "gets it" . . . something I could not say about David Lynch. The Syfy version had a better script, but apart from James McAvoy as young Leto, nothing about it has stuck in my memory.

I've seen Jodorovsky's storyboards for the version he never got to make, and while this might be sacrilege to some, I'm pretty sure I would have hated it.

Feels a bit like my long wait for a good LOTR movie: Bakshi was strange, but I wish he'd completed it, because the Rankin-Bass version was a travesty; the third time was the (not altogether perfect but we'll take it) charm.

The trailer, if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 23 2020, 11:46pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 26 2020, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 21 (9313 views)
Shortcut
for those of you answering "What's 'Dune' ?" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dune" is to epic sci-fi as LOTR is to epic fantasy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2020, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 21 (9178 views)
Shortcut
And the cross over are the sand worms// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 28 2020, 5:58pm

Post #4 of 21 (9108 views)
Shortcut
How many chapters does Dune devote to explaining warp drives? :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard some people make that explanation of how Dune was the before/after inflection point in sci-fi, where previous authors obsessed over technology at the expense of story and character, and Dune showed that the "tech" could be spice and sandworms mixed with political conspiracies and internal and external human conflicts. We wouldn't have The Expanse without Dune, that's for sure.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2020, 4:27pm

Post #5 of 21 (8909 views)
Shortcut
Dune reference in a comic [In reply to] Can't Post

Breaking Cat News: https://www.gocomics.com/...-cat-news/2020/09/27

You'd think there would be more "Spice" jokes floating around, this time of the year!

Annael
Immortal

Oct 1 2020, 6:45pm

Post #6 of 21 (8897 views)
Shortcut
heh [In reply to] Can't Post

even the cats' eyes turn blue!

I love pumpkin, I love pumpkin spices . . . just not in a latte. Tried one once, spat it out. Too sweet (I usually drink my coffee without sugar) and the combination of coffee plus pumpkin was just a big NO for me.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2020, 9:03pm

Post #7 of 21 (8889 views)
Shortcut
In a pie, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And in other baked treats, yes.

But coffee...ecch...

If I want to drink fall spices, the best way is in warm cider! Smile

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2020, 4:55am

Post #8 of 21 (8881 views)
Shortcut
OT: and mail carriers do exist! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2020, 12:40pm

Post #9 of 21 (8865 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That moment with Puck was so sweet...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2020, 12:57am

Post #10 of 21 (8648 views)
Shortcut
FYI, the release has been delayed again. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's shifted from mid-December this year to October 2021.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=12370795

Annael
Immortal

Oct 6 2020, 6:15pm

Post #11 of 21 (8584 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. Yeah, I saw that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably smart, but . . .

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 9 2020, 10:02pm

Post #12 of 21 (8431 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt Lynch captured the spirit of the book even when he made changes (e.g., weirding modules instead of the Weirding Way). The Sci-Fi channel's mini-series really left me cold even though it was more faithful to the text. The retrospective by Midnight's Edge ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d00vFdThPic ) covered a lot of ground and made a lot of good points about how the producers butchered the film to meet distributor demands on run-length.
I am somewhat flummoxed that Villeneuve felt it was important to make Liet-Kynes a woman.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 10 2020, 1:00am

Post #13 of 21 (8425 views)
Shortcut
Dune (1977) LP by Dave Matthews [In reply to] Can't Post

On a different, but related topic, has anyone else ever listened to musician Dave Matthews' 1977 album Dune?

I'm not sure it was ever released in any format other than vinyl*. The A-side is a concept album in a soft jazz style based on Frank Herbert's novel. The B-side consists of various sci-fi related tracks.

* Correction: It does seem to have had a CD release, but both the LP and the CD are out of print, rare and expensive. It can be purchased on MP3 for $6.99 (US) at Amazon or streamed for free.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 10 2020, 1:01am)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 11 2020, 5:07pm

Post #14 of 21 (8287 views)
Shortcut
why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am somewhat flummoxed that Villeneuve felt it was important to make Liet-Kynes a woman.

Does gender matter for a scientist and visionary? Still the parent of Chani . . . of all the characters that could have been gender-swapped to bring a little more balance, that one makes the most sense to me.

I took friends who hadn't read the book to Lynch's movie and they laughed through the whole thing.

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 11 2020, 5:08pm)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 11 2020, 5:10pm

Post #15 of 21 (8284 views)
Shortcut
I think I did [In reply to] Can't Post

it sounds familiar. I didn't buy the LP though. A friend must have.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 11 2020, 7:05pm

Post #16 of 21 (8278 views)
Shortcut
Re: Dune (1977) LP by Dave Matthews [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it sounds familiar. I didn't buy the LP though. A friend must have.

Could well be. I found the album in a local record shop in Alfred, NY in 1979. Here's the tracklist:

A1 Part I: Arrakis (6:03)
Guitar, Soloist – Hiram Bullock
Soprano Saxophone, Soloist – Grover Washington, Jr.
Synthesizer, Soloist – Cliff Carter
Written-By – David Matthews

A2 Part II: Sandworms (5:03)
Bass [Melody], Soloist – Gary King
Guitar, Soloist – Eric Gale
Tenor Saxophone, Soloist – Grover Washington, Jr.

A3 Part III: Song Of The Bene Gesserit (2:50)
Alto Saxophone [Melody], Soloist – David Sanborn
Guitar [Melody], Soloist – Hiram Bullock
Soprano Saxophone [Solo Fills] – Grover Washington, Jr.

A4 Part IV: Muad'Dib (6:36)

B1 Space Oddity (6:05)
Trumpet, Soloist – Randy Brecker
Vocals – Googie Coppola
Written-By – David Bowie

B2 Silent Running (3:15)
Tenor Saxophone [Melody], Soloist – Grover Washington, Jr.
Written-By – Diane Lampert, Peter Schickele

B3 Princess Leia's Theme (From Star Wars) (2:55)
Flugelhorn, Soloist – Joe Shepley
Flute, Soloist – David Tofani
Guitar [Melody], Soloist – Hiram Bullock
Oboe, Soloist – Lew Del Gatto
Written-By – John Williams

B4 Main Theme From Star Wars (3:22)
Synthesizer, Soloist – Cliff Carter
Written-By – John Williams

And here's a couple of sample tracks:
  • YouTube: "Sandworms"
  • YouTube: "Silent Running"

• (This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 11 2020, 7:13pm)

Omnigeek
    Lorien

Oct 12 2020, 5:06pm

Post #17 of 21 (8230 views)
    Shortcut
    Villeneuve changes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Does gender matter for a scientist and visionary? Still the parent of Chani . . . of all the characters that could have been gender-swapped to bring a little more balance, that one makes the most sense to me.

I took friends who hadn't read the book to Lynch's movie and they laughed through the whole thing.

The larger question in my mind is WHY make that change if it doesn't matter? The fact he did that meant to me that agenda or his desires meant more than telling the actual story and are a larger deviation IMO than the Weirding Way vs. weirding modules. Lynch told overall story and kept the characters and story in line despite changes in some details that he felt were needed for the intended audience. He didn't want "Kung Fu in space".

I'm not against the Villeneuve version just because of this detail but it has me wary rather than excited for it because he chose to make this kind of change. It's like Verhoeven changing Dizzy Flores in "Starship Troopers" from male to female. Overall, not a significant change to the story but it was a sign of what the director intended (which was absolute garbage in the case of "Starship Troopers").

Not sure why your friends who never read the book or their laughing are relevant to the discussion. I remember hearing people in line for the midnight premiere showing of FOTR talking about never having read the books and am glad they kept their mouths shut during the movie.

Annael
    Immortal

Oct 12 2020, 7:02pm

Post #18 of 21 (8225 views)
    Shortcut
    the laughing [In reply to] Can't Post

was due to Lynch's generally over-the-top production. The swimming elephant Guild navigator, the incessant voice-over exposition (first rule of good storytelling: show don't tell), the Sardaukar in what looked like 1950s atomic lab gear (and the frequent re-use of the same shots of them running), the "weirding modules," the pustulant Harkonnen, the "heart plugs," and the thing that angered me the most, Paul making it rain at the end "because he IS the Kwisatch Haderach!" SO wrong - Paul didn't have that kind of power, and rain on Arrakis was still generations away. I was fuming because I thought Lynch went so far away from the book he made it ridiculous.

In that light, gender-swapping a character to enhance diversity seems trivial to me . . . and as a woman, I appreciate having a character I can relate to who isn't a concubine to one of the male characters.

I thought "Starship Troopers" was horrible from start to finish, but I'm not a huge Heinlein fan to start with; even as a teenager decades ago his sexism was too much for me.

Omnigeek
    Lorien

Oct 13 2020, 2:58pm

Post #19 of 21 (8165 views)
    Shortcut
    We'll have to agree to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

The Navigators were stated to have grown in size and become immobile although I felt the portrayal was over the top. Vladimir Harkonnen was indeed pustulant in the text so there wasn't anything wrong with that. In fact, the portrayal of Vladimir Harkonnen was probably the most accurate in the movie. The voice-over was a result of the cuts the producer made to meet distributor demands on run-time (Lynch had envisioned the movie as a 3 hour epic).
    However, I do want to address the misplaced charge of sexism by Heinlein. His wife was his first editor and a big influence. A lot of his books were male-centric because he wrote from what he knew but when he had female characters they were always smart and independent. Even going back to his early juvenile books, Heinlein frequently portrayed women as the superior half of the species. In "The Star Beast", Johnny just lets things happen to him while his girlfriend is the one who thinks things through and basically has to tell him how to negotiate (and Lummox turns out to be female).
    In "The Rolling Stones", Hazel Stone is the smartest in the clan and maneuvers all four males (her son and 3 grandsons). In "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", Wyoming Knott is no pushover (although the main protagonists are male). Obviously in "Friday" the main protagonist is female, smart and in charge. In "I Will Fear No Evil" (which is a fairly weird story), he actually has the female mind instructing the male mind on a whole host of topics. In later novels, he had women manipulating one of his most popular characters, Lazarus Long.
    I find the charge of sexism against Heinlein is most frequently levied by people who haven't bothered to actually read his works, relying on others with an agenda who also haven't bothered to read the works but taken bits and pieces to prop up their arguments.

Annael
    Immortal

Oct 13 2020, 9:07pm

Post #20 of 21 (8148 views)
    Shortcut
    well [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read most of Heinlein's books. Yes, he often has "strong" female characters (as you say, very often manipulative of men, which is hardly a strong argument against a sexist viewpoint), but there is a difference between a strong female character and a COMPLETE female character. Strong female characters, a/k/a kickass warrior girls, act like men but have boobs and are always attractive and sexy. They are wish-fulfillment characters. Heinlein's women's happy endings almost always involve getting married and having a dozen children. I had high hopes for "Friday," but when he wrote that Friday doesn't mind being raped, even enjoys it, he lost me. That's a disgusting fantasy.

There are plenty of men who can write complete female characters, women who act and think like women would, women who have an interior life with goals and ideas of their own, who don't just exist in some relationship to a man. John Varley, Steven Brust, Greg Bear, David Brin, and Guy Gavriel Kay all come to mind. When I first read Varley's Titan series, I was convinced that he must be a woman writing under a nom de plume. He too writes a rape scene . . . emphasizing how much it hurts, how much the women hate it, and that it's not about sex but power over another person. That's a man who gets women. Heinlein . . . nope.

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 13 2020, 9:09pm)

Annael
    Immortal

Oct 14 2020, 5:15pm

Post #21 of 21 (8100 views)
    Shortcut
    also [In reply to] Can't Post

I went back to my copy of "Dune" and cannot find a single reference to the Baron having pustules all over his face. Or Rabban.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.