Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Making Sense of Arwen's Original Plotline and how it relates to The Sword That Was Broken

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Sep 25 2020, 3:01pm

Post #1 of 15 (3368 views)
Shortcut
Making Sense of Arwen's Original Plotline and how it relates to The Sword That Was Broken Can't Post

So there's enough research on the Internet to make a lot of conclusions as to what Arwen's original role was intended to be.

FOTR
1. Gilraen's Memorial originally had a second part of the scene that ended with Elrond pushing Aragorn to cut things off with Arwen so that she would go to the Undying Lands. This deleted scene ended up in TTT as a flashback.
2. Arwen and Aragorn's "breakup" was originally shot for FOTR, making more sense of Arwen's farewell shot that is still present in the Extended Edition
3. Aragorn tells Galadriel he wants Arwen to go into the West

TTT

1. Arwen's vision in ROTK was originally in the first half of TTT, prompting Arwen to return to Rivendell and set off a chain of events that would send...
2. Arwen and Elrond to Lothlorien, where they confer with Galadriel
3. Arwen and Galadriel have a private scene of some kind
4. Arwen leads troops to Helm's Deep
5. Arwen fights in Helm's Deep
6. Arwen....???

This is where the mystery begins for me. If Arwen traverses across half a continent to help her lover in battle, what would prompt her to...

ROTK
1. Arwen returns to Rivendell from Helm's Deep. In the trailer, there is a scene of her on a bridge as Elrond says he cannot protect her anymore.
2. Arwen drops a book in a library. She is losing her immortality.
3. Arwen is later said to be dying because of Sauron's growing influence on Middle-earth.

Arwen telling Elrond to "reforge the sword" is an offscreen V.O. that appears to be entirely constructed in post. I am guessing that Arwen looking at Narsil is also a pickup.

We also know that Helm's Deep was not the original climax of The Two Towers and Arwen does not appear at the confrontation at Isengard at all. There likely would have been little time in the screenplay to provide much of an explanation as to why Arwen doesn't continue to lead in battle in alliance with Rohan. So the questions I have are:

1. What, if any, explanation would the audience be given as to why Arwen returns to Rivendell? Did she also originally bring Anduril with her in scenes that were abandoned? Is the scene with Elrond in the tent in ROTK a pickup?
2. Would Arwen's plot in ROTK then revolve around her losing her immortality? What was the original incentive for Elrond to reforge the sword?

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 25 2020, 4:45pm

Post #2 of 15 (3348 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's storyline went through a lot of permutations [In reply to] Can't Post

Putting different scenes of her into different films isn't really important: its just an editorial decision, which in and of itself doesn't say anything about her story.

In early drafts, from which the idea of Arwen going to Helm's Deep arose, she would have rescued Freda and Eothain, met Aragorn on the riverbed where he is revived after the Warg attack, join the battle of Helm's Deep, and later skinny-dip with Aragorn in the Glittering Pools. She would then help Eowyn fight the Witch-King, and be afflicted by the Black Breath, so Aragorn has to defeat Sauron at the Morannon for her to be saved.

Much of this arc didn't survive the rewrites, but you can see where certain plot points emerged from, including Arwen dying suddenly.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Sep 25 2020, 6:39pm

Post #3 of 15 (3337 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that summary [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of this stuff sounds like it was in the 2-film draft. I imagine the concept of Aragorn and Arwen breaking up before Arwen changes her mind and rides south arose after the split into 3 films because I'm not sure how you could contain all of that in Film 1.

I remember the skinny-dipping in the Glittering Caves from some draft.

I guess the iteration of her plot line I'm trying to make sense of is the one that was shot in principal production, in 1999-2000. Do we have any evidence that those ROTK plot points survived into principal production? If not, and we assume that she returns to Rivendell, what plucked Arwen out of Helm's Deep and put her back in Rivendell for Film 3?

I guess it's possible that she didn't end up in Rivendell for Film 3, and whatever is in the trailers / film is all pickups. There's a few layers here.

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 25 2020, 9:04pm

Post #4 of 15 (3322 views)
Shortcut
I don't think anything was shot of Arwen on the Pelennor [In reply to] Can't Post

They filmmakers got as far as getting her fighting in Helm's Deep, but something about that footage didn't click so they rewrote the thing.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2020, 9:11pm

Post #5 of 15 (3324 views)
Shortcut
Wait, that's genuine? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I remember the skinny-dipping in the Glittering Caves from some draft.

Man, the writers really didn't know what to do with Arwen, did they? Thank goodness they and Liv finally came to the realisation that they 'didn't need to put a sword in her hand to make her strong' - nor strip her down to make her interesting.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 25 2020, 9:33pm

Post #6 of 15 (3322 views)
Shortcut
That actually survived in the script for a long while [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the writers' way of opening the second of the two films, and it lingers in some early three-film drafts, too.

Without actually seeing it (and it was never photographed to the best of my knowledge) its impossible to know how well it would have worked or not.

For what its worth, Liv is beautiful, and there is something to be said for nudging Tolkien just a hair towards puberty. We're not talking John Boorman levels of nudity here, you know.

At any rate, that's the creative process: you try things: sometimes they work; sometimes they don't. Its what ends up in the film that matters, and THAT scene never ended up in the film.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 25 2020, 9:38pm)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 25 2020, 9:52pm

Post #7 of 15 (3314 views)
Shortcut
Why is that scene supposed to be about Tyler? [In reply to] Can't Post

What is Townsend in the nude, chopped chicken liver?

More seriously, the bathing scene sounds like a terrible idea, authorial puberty or no puberty. I agree that the writers seem to have been thrashing about at that point in the process.

The more extended treatment of her "arc", as detailed above in the thread, also sounds like scripted actor-hash. I guess we're lucky she only guested in as Glorfindel and then retired to Tolkien-land until the unfortunate "Arwen is dying" scene two films later.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 25 2020, 10:20pm

Post #8 of 15 (3309 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I do find some aspects of Arwen's would-be storyline - mostly her rescue of Eothain and Freda rather than her would-be nude scene - to be a bit cheesy.

Also, in certain drafts she definitely takes way too much away from Eowyn, to the extent that in one draft its Arwen who dispatches the Witch King. Again, a lot of this is just the filmmakers experimenting.

Arwen "dying" is again recycled from those earlier drafts, where she would be dying from being afflicted by the Black Breath. But while I can't say it makes sense in the movie, I think it falls into what Vince Giligan said: "There's absolutely nothing wrong with contrivance in a film...as long as it screws the characters over."

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 25 2020, 10:22pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Sep 25 2020, 10:37pm

Post #9 of 15 (3302 views)
Shortcut
This makes sense to me [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the sources I was looking at claimed (and I can't evaluate the quality of their evidence) that Jackson 'leaked' those set pictures of Arwen to test the waters and garner some feedback as if he already felt the dynamic wasn't quite right (I imagine Liv Tyler's skill with a blade might have played into his assessment too). And the shoot was fairly chronological (okay not really, I'll have to check my books), so anything they had planned for Arwen to come with Aragorn on the Paths of the Dead or ride with the Rohirrim to Gondor was probably filmed after the Helm's Deep battle. Wasn't the exterior Minas Tirith set basically recycled from Helm's Deep or parts of Helm's Deep?

It makes sense to me that they just hit a pause with Arwen's plot line mid-filming and came back with a different plan, recycling some scenes into different films (the TTT breakup flashback intercut with new pickup scenes with Liv Tyler, Viggo, and Hugo Weaving) and filming new scenes for others. It looks like they cut the majority what they had filmed of Arwen's newly written arc in ROTK. We go from a principal photography scene (Arwen's vision, Arwen arriving at Rivendell) to pickups of Liv Tyler at the sword and what looks like a different scene entirely connected with Tyler's offscreen line "Reforge the sword" to link everything together. Liv Tyler's five minute scene in the first hour of ROTK is such an interesting combination of original principal photography, pickups, and a complete reworking in post of what the pickup turned out to be. I would be interested to read their whole strategy for Arwen 2.0 as written before they moved into the editing room.

InTheChair
Rohan

Sep 25 2020, 10:52pm

Post #10 of 15 (3299 views)
Shortcut
I think there was a scene with two Legolas at Helms Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least a photo. One was supposed to have been Liv Tyler or maybe here stunt double, but because Arwen didn't go to Helms Deep they edited it. Don't know if that was just a story.

The only remaining piece from that early plan for Arwen in the finished films was that she substituted for Frodo at the Ford.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Sep 26 2020, 7:38pm

Post #11 of 15 (3264 views)
Shortcut
Oh boy. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
She would then help Eowyn fight the Witch-King, and be afflicted by the Black Breath, so Aragorn has to defeat Sauron at the Morannon for her to be saved.

So in addition to having irked Glorfindel fans, the writers would also have incurred the undying wrath of Merry fans everywhere...

Merry already got short shrift compared to the other three Hobbits. I can only imagine where this would have gone!

Omnigeek
Lorien

Sep 28 2020, 5:37pm

Post #12 of 15 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For what its worth, Liv is beautiful, and there is something to be said for nudging Tolkien just a hair towards puberty. We're not talking John Boorman levels of nudity here, you know.

Liv is beautiful but what value would it have added to the story? Just what is "to be said for nudging Tolkien just a hair towards puberty"? Once you get past puberty, you realize you don't need the gratuitous shots to tell a great story.

I certainly wouldn't object if Liv had wanted to do a photoshoot for a magazine or calendar or set of artistic prints. I just don't see the value to the story would have been to put that scene in. It would have been like the stupid love triangle they added to "The Hobbit".

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 28 2020, 6:13pm

Post #13 of 15 (3187 views)
Shortcut
What value does Murron and William's first night add to Braveheart? [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, we're not talking John Boorman here, where in his Rings script even female Hobbits are described as distractingly well-endowed and Eowyn lies dying on the Pelennor stripped; nor his Excalibur script where Uther squeezes milk out of Igrayne's breast.

It would have just been "a bit of seasoning" to quote Sam.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 28 2020, 6:24pm)

Ronster

Dec 7 2020, 8:45pm

Post #14 of 15 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Arwens Original Plot? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So there's enough research on the Internet to make a lot of conclusions as to what Arwen's original role was intended to be.

FOTR
1. Gilraen's Memorial originally had a second part of the scene that ended with Elrond pushing Aragorn to cut things off with Arwen so that she would go to the Undying Lands. This deleted scene ended up in TTT as a flashback.
2. Arwen and Aragorn's "breakup" was originally shot for FOTR, making more sense of Arwen's farewell shot that is still present in the Extended Edition
3. Aragorn tells Galadriel he wants Arwen to go into the West

TTT

1. Arwen's vision in ROTK was originally in the first half of TTT, prompting Arwen to return to Rivendell and set off a chain of events that would send...
2. Arwen and Elrond to Lothlorien, where they confer with Galadriel
3. Arwen and Galadriel have a private scene of some kind
4. Arwen leads troops to Helm's Deep
5. Arwen fights in Helm's Deep
6. Arwen....???

This is where the mystery begins for me. If Arwen traverses across half a continent to help her lover in battle, what would prompt her to...

ROTK
1. Arwen returns to Rivendell from Helm's Deep. In the trailer, there is a scene of her on a bridge as Elrond says he cannot protect her anymore.
2. Arwen drops a book in a library. She is losing her immortality.
3. Arwen is later said to be dying because of Sauron's growing influence on Middle-earth.

Arwen telling Elrond to "reforge the sword" is an offscreen V.O. that appears to be entirely constructed in post. I am guessing that Arwen looking at Narsil is also a pickup.

We also know that Helm's Deep was not the original climax of The Two Towers and Arwen does not appear at the confrontation at Isengard at all. There likely would have been little time in the screenplay to provide much of an explanation as to why Arwen doesn't continue to lead in battle in alliance with Rohan. So the questions I have are:

1. What, if any, explanation would the audience be given as to why Arwen returns to Rivendell? Did she also originally bring Anduril with her in scenes that were abandoned? Is the scene with Elrond in the tent in ROTK a pickup?
2. Would Arwen's plot in ROTK then revolve around her losing her immortality? What was the original incentive for Elrond to reforge the sword?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think you might be somewhat on the right track but what if the vision of the child she would have with Aragorn was from Galadriels Mirror in Lorien?
In the Two Towers when we see the Flash Back to the original plot excised from fellowship of the ring What if this was Arwen Leaving for Grey Havens then... That then increases the Love interest for Aragorn and Eowyn. Aragorn thinks about moving on... But she finds another reason to return to Rivendell perhaps because she senses Aragorn is in trouble as he loses the Evenstar at this point the connection between them is broken.
So as Arwen bolts back to Rivendell fearing Aragorn was to lose his life we then see the Balcony scene from the trailer "you have given up your lifes grace I can no longer protect you"

When Aragorn takes the fall off the cliff perhaps Arwen and Aragorn about a good dream and the snogging then cut to the horse waking him up good gag that :)
Elrond accepts that eventually Arwen has made the choice she has made and he takes her to Lorien where the council meeting takes place where Elrond is the one to persuade the Elves to help out and send Haldir. Elrond leaves but Arwen stays in Lorien.

Arwen feels lost about her decision knowing that Aragorn still might die in the near future or if the ring goes to Sauron she will fade quick so she looks into the Mirror of Galadriel when she sees that there is a child she rides back to Rivendell on these tiding of hope that a better future can be found. She also sees the ghosts which she does not understand....

Arwen confronts Elrond about she never told her there was the possibilty of a child.
The Even Star Breaks when Aragorn looks into the Palantir and Arwen begins to Fade this triggers the Re-forge the sword and the research of the paths ofd the dead to change the outcome and the intervention required for the future she saw in Galadriels Miror

That is perhaps my brief take but hey who knows?

(This post was edited by Ronster on Dec 7 2020, 8:56pm)

Ronster

Dec 7 2020, 9:04pm

Post #15 of 15 (1802 views)
Shortcut
One last thing [In reply to] Can't Post

The voice over on frodo suffering the Morgal Blade "let him have my lifes grace" from Arwen may very well have been meant for Aragorn as that is extremely confusing and makes no sense at all.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.