Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
*PARTY GAME* You know you're a Tolkien geek when...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2020, 12:55pm

Post #1 of 27 (2313 views)
Shortcut
*PARTY GAME* You know you're a Tolkien geek when... Can't Post

One of my favourite TORn sharing is making our lists of "You know you're a Tolkien geek when..."

Also known as:
You know you're addicted to Tolkien / LotR when...
You know you're a Middle-earth maniac when...
et cetera

I found a fantastic list in Stapper's 2009 re-post of Chip of Dale's 2004 post: You Know You're Addicted to LotR When...

Now that many of us are "well seasoned" in our love of Tolkien and life on TORn, p'raps there's also been a change in our geekdom. What are your symptoms of geekdom and have they changed over the years?

What are some of you "...WHENS"

Here are some of my "You know you're a Tolkien geek when..." gathered over the years:

-You can't walk through the grocery store's produce department without sticking carrots in your pockets and filling your arms with taters and apples

-You can't go for walks along country roads without watching the treeline for Rangers, Hobbits or walking trees

-When you're asked if you made it to your appointment, you respond, "Yes. I've been there and back again."

-When you find out there's a meeting, you mumble, "Well if that isn't a plague and a nuisance!"

-You have an urge to travel in packs of 9 or 13 +1

-You have 2 LotR/Tolkien tattoos

-When you're walking on your country roads, you watch for stones/pebbles shaped like Middle-earth... and you found some! :D

-You refer to your home as the "Old Bag's End".

-You *twitch* and fight the urge to buy every discounted copy of LotR/Hobbit at the book store... or video store... or thrift store... or yard sales!

-Your home improvements (like a garage roof ;) have a LotR flair

-You name your pets after Tolkien-related creatures, foodstuff, locations, or characters

-For the past 18 years, your car's license plate is "hobbity"

-You named your vehicles, "hobbity" (black SUV); "Shadowfax" (1985 van); and "hobbity the grey" (grey SUV)

-The 2 most recent vehicles you buy are the Ford Escape (SUV) so you can Escape in the Ford!

-You've left your collectibles/books to your g'children as a separate section of your will ;)

Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo :D
The Road HAS gone ever on here in Michigan!

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 23 2020, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 27 (2257 views)
Shortcut
When... [In reply to] Can't Post

You have LOTR illustrated, LOTR bound as the Red Book of Westmark, LOTR Ballantine that your cousin gave to your grandmother in 1973 (ish) who gave them to you because you kept re-reading them at her house at age 13, LOTR by your bedside for those nights you can't fall asleep and want something familiar and pleasant to read, LOTR on your Kindle reader, and...you're wondering if it's not enough, and you just need one more.

You have grouped your friends into A) people you can discuss Tolkien with and make Tolkien-related jokes/references with, and B) the sadly unenlightened but you put up with them anyway.

You go for walks and look at trees and wonder 1) why they don't walk, 2) how much you would freak if they did walk, and 3) if they did walk and talk, would they consider you friend or foe, considering over your lifespan you have nurtured some trees while cutting others down.

You watch the evening news and wish you could conjure up JRR Tolkien to be there and give you a running commentary of what he thought of the current world.

You have a minor panic attack when you imagine you might disagree with the real JRR Tolkien about something important in the news, and you'd rather just keep him on a pedestal with no disputes to come between you.

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 23 2020, 11:39pm

Post #3 of 27 (2249 views)
Shortcut
when.... [In reply to] Can't Post

you tell people who will be coming to your home for the first time what to expect: "It's kind of like a hobbit hole...or Rivendell....or Beorn's place...sort of." You pretty much only know people who will know what that means.

you evaluate every new home decorating purchase for its Middle-earth possibilities and prefer old, "charming" and probably rickety (dangerous?) to new.

you own Lord of the Rings Monopoly.

you have a small bag of unremarkable pebbles from Mt. Sunday, Kaitoke, Harcourt Park, etc..

your cat is named Pippin.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 24 2020, 1:11am

Post #4 of 27 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Guilty! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
your cat is named Pippin.

Though our Pippin is no longer with us. Frown

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 24 2020, 1:13am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2020, 3:07am

Post #5 of 27 (2230 views)
Shortcut
Great list [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a wonderful list of books! That Westmarch one would be tasty!

I've often wondered if I stared at a tree long enough, it might blink!

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2020, 3:10am

Post #6 of 27 (2232 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* Kind of like... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's cluttered hallway, and living room, and den.... ;)
That little bag is indeed a treasure!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2020, 5:00am

Post #7 of 27 (2228 views)
Shortcut
... a stranger in your workplace [In reply to] Can't Post

leans into your office and says, "I'm told you're the person to ask about those Lord of the Rings movies".

Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2020, 8:47am

Post #8 of 27 (2218 views)
Shortcut
I haven't done any of those [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I do often look at trees and stars at night and think that they have an Elven feel to them. And I do travel to places like Buckland and Greenwood park purely for the Tolkien name. Or go to a pub called the Green Dragon. Pubs called the Ivy Bush are a bit scarcer.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2020, 11:49am

Post #9 of 27 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeeeet! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2020, 12:09pm

Post #10 of 27 (2205 views)
Shortcut
Now, that's a list! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to tell you.... those are definitely a geek's list :D
AWESOME! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 24 2020, 3:05pm

Post #11 of 27 (2209 views)
Shortcut
When... [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a plaque by your front door reading "Bag End".

You have a tattoo of the White Tree done by Roger Ingerton in Wellington, the man who tattooed the Elvish "nine" on the Fellowship actors.

You have an Alicia Austin print of the charge of the Rohirrim above your mantle, while on the mantel is Weta Workshop's Bag End and two shields: of Rohan and of Gondor, as well as a small Green Dragon pub and the candle of Galadriel, by other artists.

You've written not only LotR references in multiple novels, but also one to TORn itself.

You played music from the movies (on a horribly out-of-tune piano) during a post-banquet talent show at a mystery-lovers convention.

You wear a T-shirt with "If you can read this I've found your ring" written in Elvish, which unfortunately invites much staring at your chest.

You can quote the entire "All that is gold does not glitter" poem when a friend wears a T-shirt reading, "Not all those who wander are lost".

You can quote the entire Ringspell poem to measure how long you should wash your hands.

HeartAngelic

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 24 2020, 3:08pm

Post #12 of 27 (2207 views)
Shortcut
And I should add... [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend was attending an event at a stadium recently, and was looking for a place to park her car. She spotted a sign reading "LotR" and though, wow, there are fans here!

Then she realized it was only the designation for a parking area." Lot A. Lot B, Lot R...."

Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 24 2020, 3:26pm

Post #13 of 27 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Novelists and Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Mentioning that you put Tolkien references in your novels reminded me of something that happened back in the late 1970s. My mother is an avid reader and has probably read every book in the public library, and back in the late 70s she told me about her current book, which I think was a spy thriller, but the author still managed to work in a lot of direct references to Tolkien, prompting her to ask me to explain them so she could follow the plot. Of course he's not the only writer that other writers reference, but I'd say he belongs to a small pool of authors that other authors like to incorporate.

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 24 2020, 8:39pm

Post #14 of 27 (2187 views)
Shortcut
LotR. That true fan moment made me chuckle. [In reply to] Can't Post

It could have been any of us. Thanks for that, Lily.

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 24 2020, 9:12pm

Post #15 of 27 (2180 views)
Shortcut
Pippin is a good name. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought of yours and ours yesterday when, while flipping channels, I was pleasantly surprised by a kilt-wearing 'Pippin' in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Billy played a concerned father with a son who was being treated in ER. Our Pippin was very convincing. And there were bagpipes.

Hmm. It just occurred to me as I replay the scenes in my mind, I do believe he said, "I have to take care of my son", or something like, when the surgeons wouldn't let him into the operating room. Kind of like "Are you going to leave me, Pip?" "No, Merry, I'm going to take care of you." Art imitating art? Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25 2020, 10:35am

Post #16 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut
*blink, blink* [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope she got around to reading LotR/Hobbit! I'll bet her curiosity of THEIR author took hold :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25 2020, 10:36am

Post #17 of 27 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Let that geek flag fly! [In reply to] Can't Post

*geeky hand-clapping* That was fun :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25 2020, 10:37am

Post #18 of 27 (2164 views)
Shortcut
It'd be worth the walk [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to say you hung out in LotR! That's hilarious! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Asger
Rivendell

Sep 25 2020, 3:47pm

Post #19 of 27 (2150 views)
Shortcut
You know you are a geek when... [In reply to] Can't Post

You have Gandalf-robes and hat in your wardrobe (well, mine are ina bag beneath a shelf)
When friends and family asks: What would this be in elvish? (My brother asked me to design a sign for his house on the street ‘Engdraget’ (Along the Meadow), I proposed ‘Bar Nindalf’ which now adorns his house in tengwar).

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 26 2020, 12:42am

Post #20 of 27 (2126 views)
Shortcut
So your Bro is a geek, too? :D [In reply to] Can't Post

AWESOME!
I'm always impressed when someone can transcribe Elvish! *bows deeply*
I hope you have chances to wear your Gandalf garb. I love it! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Asger
Rivendell

Sep 26 2020, 5:12am

Post #21 of 27 (2105 views)
Shortcut
Not really a geek... [In reply to] Can't Post

But a fan. We’re eight siblings and all have read TH and LotR almost half a century ago. But I,m the geek! I’ll find my robes and take a pic someday

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Sep 27 2020, 10:00pm

Post #22 of 27 (2033 views)
Shortcut
Great stuff thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2020, 10:02pm

Post #23 of 27 (2036 views)
Shortcut
So son and I are visiting the local farm stand today... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and when we get back home I blurt out, "Would you take in the eggssess, preciousss?"

And he replies, not missing a beat: "Are they live, and wriggling?"

This past week hubby was watching something on my computer with me, and at one point he glanced to the side at our bookcase and the two shelves which are jam-packed with books and exclaimed, "Good heavens, I had no idea how many Tolkien books you have!" But he is cool about it, like offering to make me some tea in my "Smug" (mug with Tolkien's picture of Smaug on his gold, from the Bodleian Library gift shop Heart).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 28 2020, 1:15pm

Post #24 of 27 (1996 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* [In reply to] Can't Post

You're family SO infected with Tolkien... nothing is safe! I LOVE IT!!!! *still giggling*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2020, 2:45am

Post #25 of 27 (1681 views)
Shortcut
I have a few more ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your local theatre sells you LotR/Hobbit tickets at a group rate.
Your local theatre still calls me "The Lord of the Rings Lady".
You still catch small moths in flight, whisper to them, and turn them loose outside.

...A State Trooper Officer pulled me over and asked me what my license plate (HOBBITY) means. I asked him if he'd heard of The Lord of the Rings .
... *blink, blink* "No."
..."A hobbit is a small person in the story and now in a movie. They love home, friends, and a simple life. Real people who also love a simple life are said to be 'hobbity'."
...*blink, blink* "Oh." Then he taped on the tail light and suggested I keep an eye on it (feigning excuse for the pull over), turned and walked away. Whew! Harmless and fun trying to describe LotR to someone in 30 seconds or less!

For Halloween, your workplace expects you to dress as a LotR character every year.
My costumes:

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.