Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the happy Baggins birthday reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 22 2020, 3:06pm

Post #1 of 3 (179 views)
Shortcut
It's the happy Baggins birthday reading thread! Can't Post

Here's to Frodo and Bilbo! May we all feast and tell stories and take joy in Middle-earth! To quote poor Thorin, “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

I'm now listening to Edited Out, the second in the Mysterious Detective series by E.J. Copperman. "E.J. Copperman" is a pseudonym for Jeff Cohen, who writes several light mystery series set in his native New Jersey. I haven't read the first, so am having to extrapolate a bit, but the premise is that an author discovers her fictional detective exists in real life. In this installment, the two of them work together to explain just why and how this could happen.... Well, you have to suspend your disbelief, but so far I'm happy to do that and am finding it an entertaining story with entertaining voices.

I'm also listening to a dramatization of Dorothy L. Sayers' Clouds of Witness, the second in her Peter Wimsey mystery series. This is the second Wimsey dramatization I've listened to. They're very well done, with great sound effects and different character voices. Wimsey is done by Ian Carmichael, who played the part in some of the television adaptations. I regret losing so much of the story detail, though, and have an audio version of the actual novel I'll enjoy listening to sometime soon.

I'm reading on paper The Word is Murder, by Anthony Horowitz, who is known for his television writing including Midsomer Murders and Foyle's War. I thoroughly enjoyed his Magpie Murders, which was a clever mystery within a mystery. The conceit of Word is even more of a nudge-nudge wink-wink, with Horowitz himself a character in the story. So far, at least, this seems clever rather than eye-rolling.

So what have you been reading as you stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ettelewen
Rohan

Sep 22 2020, 11:27pm

Post #2 of 3 (156 views)
Shortcut
Chaucer, "The Canterbury Tales" [In reply to] Can't Post

As translated from Middle English by R.M. Lumiansky, 1948. I know I read this in college but have no memory of doing so some 40 years after the fact, and am delightfully surprised that I am now caught up in the Tales as I'm sure I was not while a student!

I think I'd like to try Chaucer's original Middle English version as well to see if I can muddle though - possibly with the translation at hand...

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2020, 1:11am

Post #3 of 3 (146 views)
Shortcut
Needed some no brain comfort reads [In reply to] Can't Post

So decided to reread the MacGregor series from Nora Roberts. Some twitches with dated tech but the plot lines are straight forward and the characters are familiar (almost as familiar as those from Middle Earth as I've reread the series several times)

Yeah there's a similarity in her characters that will eventually have me going for something more invigorating but for now... they are what I need.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.