The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
NME interview with Morfydd Clark

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Sep 18 2020, 1:42am

Post #1 of 4 (2992 views)
Shortcut
NME interview with Morfydd Clark Can't Post

NME has an interview with Morfydd Clark. She has a horror movie coming out, titled Saint Maud. As always, she's said to be playing "Young Galadriel", but there are no actual quotes from her confirming that fact. Also, the headline is rather misleading: "This show is continually mind-blowing". If you read the whole article, you find out that the actual context is:

I feel like I've got my fix of the massive stuff by doing Lord of the Rings. The amount of [people working] on this show is continually mind-blowing. One guy's job consists just of seeing how dust reacts to footsteps and breath! That would never have even crossed my mind before. Other than something like Marvel, I don't think things could get much bigger than this.

As I've said before, I'm sure the show will have good production values.

A few other interesting tidbits from the interview are how she's concerned that people will be able to tell which scenes were filmed before the lockdown and which were filmed after, and her friends' reaction to the news she'd been cast in the series.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

(This post was edited by Hasuwandil on Sep 18 2020, 1:48am)

Mari D.
Rivendell

Sep 18 2020, 9:10pm

Post #2 of 4 (2905 views)
Shortcut
*nom nom* eating the breadcrumbs [In reply to] Can't Post

Some more info, not much, but I found it an interesting read ... I liked how it was combined with some more info about her as an actress and her background.

Yes, that title was misleading. She said in a different interview that the show is mind-blowing, though?* Will be interesting to find out what that might mean.

I hope they will be able to somehow catch that whole scope ... from the high and elevated to the more "normal" living experience again ... like the LotR movies did. In hindsight, I find that is what makes the beauty of the LotR movies to me, this seamless interplay between high and beautiful things, and plain and simple things.

And each respecting the other.**

I think one doesn't need hobbits for that, but one for sure needs to allow genuine awe for that, and not be ashamed of depicting deep, meaningful aspects of life straightforwardly. And, didn't one of the writers in some interview some time ago* even mention that, for this project, they need to make the change from writing in a style of irony/sarcasm to doing the opposite?

___
* My memorizing skills could be improved. Anyone who wants to provide the links, go ahead. Or I could try to find them later.
** I remember a scene in TH that I liked, where Bilbo and Elrond stand on a balcony, and have this little exchange, where he is offering Bilbo to stay, that exemplifies that for me.

[/rambling off]

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Sep 18 2020, 9:14pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 18 2020, 11:22pm

Post #3 of 4 (2890 views)
Shortcut
Mari, you might be thinking of this TORN post by Althoun from 25 Aug 2019. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=965070#965070

Writer for the series, Gennifer Hutchison, talked about moving away from cynical to earnest storytelling in a Twitter post.
https://twitter.com/.../1136643414097686528

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Sep 18 2020, 11:23pm)

Mari D.
Rivendell

Sep 21 2020, 9:24am

Post #4 of 4 (2791 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Lissuin, for looking it up for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I see Mrs Hutchinson wrote about hopeful/earnest vs. cynical. So it was on a different note than what I meant, but I think it might still relate.

And, I took the time to find the interview with Mrs Clark: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...uck-New-Zealand.html

Clark said that working on the Amazon Studios adaptation [..] has been ‘an extraordinary experience’. She will be filming two series of the fantasy tale.

‘Every day your jaw drops on the floor again,’ she said of the amazing scenes she and the cast have been preparing with director J.A. Bayona [..] ‘His imagination is just wild!’ Clark said.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.