Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
News and Rumors from TORn Tuesday (mostly Rumors)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 19 2020, 1:00am

Post #26 of 29 (930 views)
Shortcut
No jumping timeline, hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have not followed the production news, but if this series is telling the story of the Second Age (although that would have to mean a revolving cast of protagonists -- is that what they're doing?).

I don't think so.

All evidence seems to suggest the show is going to focus on the events of the Forging of the Great Rings and the subsequent War of Sauron and the Elves. This would make it (a) Elf-centric, rather than Numenore-centric and (b) worthy of the title The Lord of the Rings as both said Rings and their Lord figure prominently.

You could easily fill five seasons with just those events. No need to overhaul two-thirds of your cast just so you can squeeze in either Aldarion and Erendis (a couple of centuries prior) or the Akallabeth (millennia later).

There was talk that Amazon optioned a spinoff show. I bet that one would be Akallabeth.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 19 2020, 1:01am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 20 2020, 6:11pm

Post #27 of 29 (758 views)
Shortcut
"A cool thing about books in terms of telling this kind of story is you don’t have budget constraints." [In reply to] Can't Post

An interesting perspective I read today:

"I think pulpy, plot-driven fiction has become underrated in an era where culture is dominated by serialized 'prestige' television. [..]

The true greats on TV have these sprawling casts, but so many modern shows are essentially stuck trying to tell big stories within the confines of the 'these same six characters have to do everything' model of a sitcom."

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 6 2020, 7:39pm

Post #28 of 29 (555 views)
Shortcut
Why is it odd? [In reply to] Can't Post

If the series is indeed set in the Second Age and revolves around the creation of the rings, why wouldn't you name it, "The Lord of the Rings: The Rise of Sauron" or something similar?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2020, 7:54pm

Post #29 of 29 (553 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If the series is indeed set in the Second Age and revolves around the creation of the rings, why wouldn't you name it, "The Lord of the Rings: The Rise of Sauron" or something similar?

The same thought occurred to me. Sauron is arguably the key figure in the Second Age and he is quite literally the Lord of the Rings. Why not emphasize that in the title? It is certainly less spoilery than something like "The Downfall of Númenor" (which might also be a bit too specific as there are other equally important events such as the War of the Elves and Sauron and the War of the Last Alliance).

#FidelityToTolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.