Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Astronomy News: Life on Venus?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Tue, 1:23pm

Post #1 of 7 (110 views)
Shortcut
Astronomy News: Life on Venus? Can't Post

Break out your best space suits that are untroubled by sulfuric acid, extreme heat, and extreme pressure, because we may have to head to Venus to see what's living there. If something is living there, in the clouds, making phosphine gas. It may go the way of "cold fusion," which turned out not to be cold fusion but an unexpected chemical reaction. But still, it is tantalizing that known chemical reactions can't account for all the phosphine gas on Venus, plus there's the reminder that life on Earth occurs in very strange places like next to volcanoes or at the arctic poles or along deep ocean trenches--all places where it "shouldn't" occur.

And once upon a time, Carl Sagan talked about terraforming Venus, but now there's an ethical question about destroying existing life there to make way for Earth-based life forms, including oxygen-generating, oxygen-consuming, and Starbucks-consuming life. Exciting times!

Our crazy finding suggesting life on Venus
Astronomers find possible sign of life on Venus

"There can always be something we overlooked," said Seager. "Ultimately, the only thing that will answer this question for us ó is there life, is there not life ó is actually going to Venus and making more detailed measurements for signs of life and maybe life itself." --> Buy your seats now!

How Do We Terraform Venus?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Tue, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 7 (97 views)
Shortcut
It's an exciting possibility. [In reply to] Can't Post

As intriguing as the idea is of life on Venus, it's hard to imagine how such life could develop in such a harsh environment. I suspect that some unknown mechanism will be discovered that explains the detection of the alleged phosphine gas. On the other hand, life has been known to exist and even thrive in harsh environments here on Earth, both in the distant past and the present.

#FidelityToTolkien

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Tue, 8:42pm

Post #3 of 7 (95 views)
Shortcut
I liked one description of the news: [In reply to] Can't Post

that this isn't a smoking gun or even gunshot residue on your hands, "but there's a distinct smell of cordite in the air and it's worth checking".

And this time, the potential signs of life are essentially right next door to us rather than a few light-years away, making it easier to examine. (I'm making an effort to put The Expanse out of my mind...)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Tue, 11:30pm

Post #4 of 7 (81 views)
Shortcut
I tend to agree, if only [In reply to] Can't Post

because I don't want to get my hopes up!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Wed, 5:47am

Post #5 of 7 (65 views)
Shortcut
Apparently Titan is a cautionary tale. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere yesterday that a good while back, we had detected certain unexpected chemicals in Titan's upper atmosphere and for years couldn't explain why, based on our knowledge of Titan's composition, but then discovered that Enceladus, another moon of Saturn, regularly ejects those materials into space, and some eventually makes its way to Titan.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Lissuin
Valinor

Wed, 9:53am

Post #6 of 7 (50 views)
Shortcut
Why? Whatever are you afraid of, my dear? (bwa ha ha!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm making an effort to put The Expanse out of my mind...

https://expanse.fandom.com/...ructure_on_Venus.jpg

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 4:23pm

Post #7 of 7 (37 views)
Shortcut
How could anybody be afraid of an itty, bitty protomolecule? What could go wrong? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.