The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Fox: still poking about

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 9 2020, 4:51pm

Post #1 of 12 (316 views)
Shortcut
The Fox: still poking about Can't Post

and wondering what those Hobbits are up to?
Actually, these are 3 screenshots from someone's garden in Aargau, Switzerland, from that Window-swap site (https://window-swap.com/window). It's a recorded video from someone's house--they're all supposed to be out the owner's window, but I can't imagine this one is actually taken through a window, open or otherwise. If you go there and scroll through the windows until you see "Aargau, Switzerland" in the upper right, you can see this little guy wandering around and poking his nose into weeds, and you can hear some beautiful bird calls. I think there may even be a small water snake swimming to the edge of the pond at one point.

Here's a small snippet of one of the shots, and 3 links so you can see the whole pond (plus Fox Smile). This may be the luckiest homeowner in the world . . . https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfuzbsvru23zf1b/Screen%20Shot%202020-09-09%20at%2012.18.36%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/....16.25%20PM.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/....19.44%20PM.png?dl=0

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2020, 9:36am

Post #2 of 12 (278 views)
Shortcut
You don't have to [In reply to] Can't Post

Go all the way to Switzerland just to see a Fox! I see quite a few where I live. In particular near the pub and late at night. They are fairly tame and often give me a knowing look. And my mother has a pet hedgehog. But that's another story!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 10 2020, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 12 (270 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh.... what a great pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

The arm of that bench gives it a wonderful flavor and scale. Isn't he wonderful!?! :D Thank you for this. *sigh, blood pressure lowers*

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 10 2020, 4:22pm

Post #4 of 12 (267 views)
Shortcut
We have them here, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And out in the Midwest, my mother watches them waltz right across her driveway, right in the city.
Here, it's simply about the perfect setting, and his perfect poses and glances at the camera. It just looked like a scene from the Shire to me.Smile The video even more so, for those who can get there.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2020, 8:53pm

Post #5 of 12 (258 views)
Shortcut
The ones here are extremely shy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen one maybe twice in my life. It's a treat when you do.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2020, 11:03pm

Post #6 of 12 (249 views)
Shortcut
Peek-a-boo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that pic where he's poking his head out of the plants.

That is a fun website. Any idea how many windows are showing on it now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 10 2020, 11:16pm

Post #7 of 12 (249 views)
Shortcut
Yes, here they are [In reply to] Can't Post

pretty shy, although I drove past a bright orange one at night in a neighborhood of a smaller city up north. It was walking along the street right by the curb as bold as can be, and when my head lights caught it, it stared at the car with an expression that looked like "I live here. What's your problem?"
My mother lives in a mid-sized city in the Midwest in a normal neighborhood (not at all forested, just a wooded lot or 2 nearby), but she'll sit on her driveway, and they walk and run right across the driveway just 3 or 4 yards away. It makes me nervous because of the possibility of rabies; but she finds it enchanting. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 10 2020, 11:23pm

Post #8 of 12 (251 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he does it more than once. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully you can find it! It's one of the longer videos and the fox is about half-way through it. I think there's upwards of 30 on it now, but the current bunch is not nearly as nice as the previous set, although there are a few holdovers. I also like the Ayrshire cows. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2020, 12:02am

Post #9 of 12 (246 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that a bucolic scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to stop myself from saying "Mooo!" Laugh

I did find it - that is a very long loop! Looked like the fox was finding roots to eat. Did you see the window that looks right out at the Pyramids?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 11 2020, 12:20am

Post #10 of 12 (249 views)
Shortcut
Town-o, Town-o! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen foxes only rarely in these parts, too.

There's a sort of hidden fox in The Lord of the Rings via Tolkien's oblique reference to the song quoted in my subject line. I'm sure some folks here know what I mean.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 11 2020, 1:11am

Post #11 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
I did say [In reply to] Can't Post

moo. Blush
I wondered what he was after. I couldn't figure it out, unless they nibble on grass like my dog does at times.
Yes! Giza! My jaw dropped and stayed there.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 13 2020, 6:40pm

Post #12 of 12 (202 views)
Shortcut
All new window-swap windows today! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll miss some of the old ones, but some of these are fabulous! And some are very "different," but that's part of the fun (the Greek one with opera and thunderstorm . . .).Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.