Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*THROWS OPEN DOOR* Welcome to FIESTA FRIDAY!!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 7 2020, 5:21am

Post #76 of 92 (403 views)
Shortcut
That sounds heavenly [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

I miss observing the seasons changing. The leaves here stay green all the way into, hm, maybe December/January (though it could be later, I can't remember) and then suddenly over the course of several days it seems like every tree in the city sheds all its leaves.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 7 2020, 7:47am

Post #77 of 92 (400 views)
Shortcut
Who needs dinosaurs [In reply to] Can't Post

when you could have these!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 7 2020, 8:17am

Post #78 of 92 (402 views)
Shortcut
It's remarkable [In reply to] Can't Post

what a profound effect a fandom can have on a life! I was lucky enough to meet other TORnsibs at the Howard Shore concerts in London (twice!) - Cheshire Cat, Draupne, RiverWoman, Meliana, Hengist, Greendragon, Eledhwen I think, and others. If I had the photos handy I'd probably remember more names.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7 2020, 3:28pm

Post #79 of 92 (386 views)
Shortcut
Moa! Moa! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least the giant moa has been extinct for less than two centuries, the possibility exists that it might be brought back through cloning.

#FidelityToTolkien

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 7 2020, 5:51pm

Post #80 of 92 (381 views)
Shortcut
Argh, I'm going to have that on the brain now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 'Enery the eighth I am, 'Enery the eighth I am, I amI got married to the widow next door,She'd been married seven times beforeANDEvery one was an 'Enery,She wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam -
I'm her eighth old man called 'Enery,'Enery the eighth I am!
(Second verse, same as the first...)
I'll get me coat! Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2020, 7:17pm

Post #81 of 92 (379 views)
Shortcut
Only if we bring these bad boys back too. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/haasts-eagle

Why bring back the giant chicken if you don't bring back the giant rooster too?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 7 2020, 8:23pm

Post #82 of 92 (379 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! You know, they say [In reply to] Can't Post

that birds really are dinosaurs--at least the direct descendants of one branch. So that's 2 for the price of one, I guess. I can image them stomping around in that part of the park.

I've been mourning the loss of the giant birds like these and the Dodos, etc. ever since I found out about them around age 10. Mad Maybe some foolish person will clone one somehow someday. Foolish or not, I'd love to see one.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7 2020, 8:30pm

Post #83 of 92 (375 views)
Shortcut
I'm all for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

By all means! Let's bring back that noble bird.

#FidelityToTolkien

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2020, 7:08am

Post #84 of 92 (354 views)
Shortcut
It is deeply depressing [In reply to] Can't Post

to look through this list - six pages worth. Frown

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2020, 7:10am

Post #85 of 92 (347 views)
Shortcut
Nice birdy [In reply to] Can't Post

*pat, pat*
Shocked

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2020, 9:51am

Post #86 of 92 (344 views)
Shortcut
That's a lot more than I realised. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a town between New Plymouth and Te Kuiti called Piopio; I didn't know it was named after a bird.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ginger
Rohan

Sep 8 2020, 5:38pm

Post #87 of 92 (331 views)
Shortcut
Hi dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, still in the community college library. Students are in a mix of online or in person (once a week) classes. Some come to the library to participate in their online classes.

Are you still in your library? I know when the pandemic started you were one of the few people still in your building. Did you read Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker? It was one of the Newbery honor books. It was an interestingly constructed book.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 9 2020, 1:22am

Post #88 of 92 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yes, still there! [In reply to] Can't Post

The kids are back now, and none are coming to the library - yet - as our librarian is taking books to the classrooms. I'm busy co-ordinating getting Chromebooks back out to the families, and helping staff get needed equipment.

Your library's computers must be in great demand!

We don't have that book - yet! I'm looking forward to reading it. I've been delighted that the Newbery awards now include graphic novels; I've read some excellent ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 9 2020, 1:39am

Post #89 of 92 (319 views)
Shortcut
Horrifying. [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownMad

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 9 2020, 6:16am

Post #90 of 92 (302 views)
Shortcut
Next time you go through [In reply to] Can't Post

Take a close look at the Welcome sign :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 9 2020, 11:16am

Post #91 of 92 (292 views)
Shortcut
Forgot to mention about the winter darkness - [In reply to] Can't Post

In summer the days seem to last forever! London times (from my diary) around Summer Solstice are sunrise 4.43am, sunset 9.22pm but it feels longer than that if the sky is clear and the further north you go the longer it is. The soft, birdsong-filled British twilights are something special. Some nights you never quite lose the luminous deep blue glow near the horizon. That makes me restless; I find it hard to settle in the evenings, feel I should be out doing something in the garden or whatever.
In the winter it's a different story; London times again, around the Winter Solstice sunrise is 8.03am, sunset 3.53pm. Gloomy grey days - of which there are many! - feel even shorter. That's the time for social gatherings (or not, under present restrictions - how will we manage?!) and indoor projects of various sorts - sorting out cupboards, cooking, repairs, sewing, reading, more time spent online etc . People who work need to get out and about at the weekends, as in the week they go to and from work in the dark. When I used to work I drove home into the sunset; the first night in spring when I drove home into the actual sun and needed sunglasses was always a joy.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2020, 11:44pm

Post #92 of 92 (253 views)
Shortcut
A joy indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's too much dark, going to work before the sun and going home after it sets. You have to take advantage of every bit of sun at those times, else I think you'd go crazy - or get depressed. Visiting friends and family would be a wonderful way to beat those blues!

Talking of social gatherings - how have the first few days back at school been going, for the grandsons?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.