Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*THROWS OPEN DOOR* Welcome to FIESTA FRIDAY!!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 3:48pm

Post #1 of 92 (530 views)
Shortcut
*THROWS OPEN DOOR* Welcome to FIESTA FRIDAY!!!! Can't Post

Greetings and well met!!!

I hope you're thirsty! Our lovely Altaira is facing the wilds of RL demands, so I'd love to be your server today! Ready or not, our days are starting to get busy. So what can I get you… and what have you been up to… and what plans do have for this weekend? Our U.S. sibbies have a long holiday weekend. Have you made special plans?

Be sure to hang out with sibbies deej and greendragon during the virtual DragonCon this weekend from September 3-7! If you've never been able to attend in person, here's a unique way to get there!

I'm heading south to hang out with my RL sibbies for a few hours. We haven't seen each other for about a year after cancelling our plans to gather in mid-March. Needless to say with most of us in our 60s & 70s, the pandemic tossed that out the window. We're going to my Sister's back yard with chairs properly scattered, masks all over the place and endless chattering on mostly fun or childhood-reflective topics. It's hilarious to hear how our aging has also brought comparisons of retirement, ailments and medication into the conversation ;) Always lots of laughter and common weirdness :D

*grabs clean glass* What can I get ya? :D And be sure to stay safe!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2020, 5:05pm

Post #2 of 92 (438 views)
Shortcut
Hi there, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

That will be a fun trip! Heart

Hanging out in the yard or on the porch seems to be one of the top activities nowadays. Just got a pic of my mom-in-law having an outdoor breakfast with her older brother at their favorite restaurant. Outings like this become a treat, and you realize how precious the moment becomes.

We survived the first week of school. Most kids are in the classroom, about 20% opted for distance-learning (via an aide holding a laptop with Zoom), and that number keeps growing smaller as parents see how we're set up with distanced desks, trifold screens, distance hall walking and recess, lunches delivered to the classrooms, etc. There's still the expected quirks to be worked out, but we're managing.

Long weekend - yay! I'm going to relax, read, enjoy some sunshine! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 5:09pm

Post #3 of 92 (446 views)
Shortcut
Something free of caffeine or alcohol for me, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got to keep an eye on the hypertension these days. I've had an interesting week that started with a trip to the hospital by ambulance last Sunday. I had a procedure the next morning and have been under observation until I was set free yesterday afternoon. Suffice to say, I've been getting caught up on stuff.

#FidelityToTolkien

Ginger
Rohan

Sep 4 2020, 5:56pm

Post #4 of 92 (437 views)
Shortcut
Dropping in for a quick hard lemonade, please [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to just lurk these days, every weekday during my lunch break. I was surprised when the screen saying how many new posts or threads since my last log in was just one for Main. It made me think of times when the movies came out that the threads on the first page would drop off after a couple of hours since there was so much posting.

Have a good visit with your family, gramma.

Here’s to torn friends and memories.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 4 2020, 7:25pm

Post #5 of 92 (437 views)
Shortcut
Hello folks - I've just come home [In reply to] Can't Post

from looking after my grandsons while Mummy and Daddy tried out a new Vegan takeaway and ate it while watching the kite surfers off our very shallow stretch of coastline. I don't think I'm giving away any secrets when I say I live on a peninsula called Wirral, with the River Dee and Wales to the west, the Irish sea to the north and the Mersey to the east. Apart from the occasional gully, you have to go quite a long way round here to get out of your depth (apart from the River Mersey, which is lethal!) the area is total rubbish for actual surf, but great for sand-yachting, kite-surfing and suchlike. None of which I have tried, I have to say, though son-in-law has surfed and snowboarded and has just bought a paddleboard.
Covid cases in our area are creeping up, so people are watching the numbers carefully and hoping we don't end up with a local lockdown. a lot of people are being very careful and following all advice, but it only takes a small percentage who don't, to wreck things. It reminds me of the whole class being kept in after school because one person's been naughty, as it was in my old schooldays. Grrr...
Have a good weekend, however you spend it, and take care - enjoy your SibMoot, gramma!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2020, 8:09pm

Post #6 of 92 (433 views)
Shortcut
Spring has sprung! [In reply to] Can't Post

And so have the allergies...Crazy
Hopefully I can get out in the garden this weekend, once all the boring jobs are done.
Yesterday marked 10 years since the first earthquake in the sequence that changed everything - the 7.1 that rudely got us all out of bed at an unseemly hour of the morning. Time is a strange thing. The memories are so vivid and feel very close, but it also feels like a lifetime ago.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 4 2020, 8:25pm

Post #7 of 92 (426 views)
Shortcut
Schooling is so complicated now - [In reply to] Can't Post

people have had to adapt very quickly to these unforeseen circumstances. At the primary school both my grandsons attend, they are in 'year bubbles' (two classes, about 60 children), arriving and leaving at different times from other year groups and not mixing in the playground. They've just done their first three days and are both very tired - a complete change in routine after so long out of the classroom!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 4 2020, 8:27pm

Post #8 of 92 (423 views)
Shortcut
That's definitely the wrong kind of interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope things are settling down for you now. In the meantime, you'll have to go Gandalf - 'Just tea, thank you'!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 4 2020, 8:29pm

Post #9 of 92 (421 views)
Shortcut
These are very different times - [In reply to] Can't Post

things are a lot quieter, but it heartens me to see old familiar board names cropping up now and again - people are still visiting and keeping in touch.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 4 2020, 8:35pm

Post #10 of 92 (424 views)
Shortcut
I noticed on another board [In reply to] Can't Post

the reference to the 10th anniversary; I'm guessing Christchurch still bears the scars, visible and invisible, of such an upheaval. Shame about the spring allergies; different things set different people off. Round here it starts with pollen from hazel and silver birch catkins and goes all the way through the various trees to the grasses later in the year. My daughter tends to feel it earlier and I feel it later, though not severely, thank goodness.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 8:55pm

Post #11 of 92 (426 views)
Shortcut
School is like a luxury retreat ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

What an incredible setup for the kids and to help the staff! All of the steps make so much sense. I'd be more comfortable seeing the extent of concern and adjustments. You'll still be very busy regardless of whether they go remote or on-site. Hang in there! How lucky they are to have you :D

I'm looking forward to the gathering. I'm taking some pre-packaged Oreos (gold & choco) and a big pack of individual crunchy things (Doritos, Fritos, Funyuns, etc.) that I'll dump into a couple of small cloth baskets. That way we know they haven't been handled. The weather looks like it'll be perfect!

I hope you have a great weekend and have a chance to catch some sunshine yourself :D

sample

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 4 2020, 8:57pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2020, 9:00pm

Post #12 of 92 (420 views)
Shortcut
There's been far too much 'interesting' happening this year. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're back home again. Are you meant to rest up now, or keep active?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2020, 9:05pm

Post #13 of 92 (425 views)
Shortcut
Little did we know what was coming. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the South Island still hasn't settled down. I didn't feel the 5.7 that hit the top of the island on Thursday but I see that plenty of people did.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 9:08pm

Post #14 of 92 (421 views)
Shortcut
Oh man! Are you doing ok!? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry! After all this time being concerned with just going out and interacting... now you've got to take care of hypertension! My Father had to keep that under control himself... it's no fun. But I'm glad you got in and cared for... and that you're home! Wasn't it your birthday(ish)? Wow...

Take care... and I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! *hugs*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2020, 9:10pm

Post #15 of 92 (425 views)
Shortcut
A glass of bubbly, please gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm off to a gender reveal this afternoon - one of my nephews and his partner are holding an afternoon tea. Very genteel. This will be the eight child of that generation in our family. With all the crap that's been going on, it's lovely to have something to celebrate. Smile

Then this evening I'm over to my brother's place for a rugby game and lasagne dinner.

Kind of the perfect day, really.

Happy weekend, everyone!

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 9:14pm

Post #16 of 92 (419 views)
Shortcut
Ginger!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see you!!! :D Yeah... the boards are kinda slow right now, but we still keep the lights on and hang out at a nice, easy pace.

I hope you're doing good in these Corvid-laced days and that you're not going to crazy with restrictions. You'll have to let us know what you're up to when you have a quiet time and feel like chatting :D *big hug*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 9:27pm

Post #17 of 92 (418 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez [In reply to] Can't Post

Just reading the names of your surrounding area sounds wonderful!!! :D How neat of you to give Mum & Dad a chance to have a date whilst the boys and you think of ways to get into trouble ;) Watching the surfing would be so relaxing. We usually have air balloons pop up around here.

Your analogy of keeping the whole class after school because one person was naughty is spot on, imho. The college town (where I used to work) is spiking like crazy. The students are coming back this week. The traffic and store congestion is through the roof! So I go to town for shopping in the other direction!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 9:34pm

Post #18 of 92 (418 views)
Shortcut
Wow... that long? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not surprising that the memories and emotions are still so close. It's like if you stop and think about it, you can almost smell and feel the surroundings you experienced that day. It's still surreal. And you're also adjusting to the changes of the city. Buildings gone or re-done. Trees damaged or gone... so many of the little things that made it home that have been forever changed.

I was thinking about this earlier today. I'm sure resilience has rebuilt so much, but love has clung to what was.
*big hug*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2020, 9:45pm

Post #19 of 92 (415 views)
Shortcut
A genteel celebration! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations! Oh man, this is so cool! The family is growing, and it's wonderful to see that celebrated with so much love!

Now... let's talk about that lasagna... *slaver, slurp* I hope you have a wonderful time and that the reveal is glorious!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2020, 12:25am

Post #20 of 92 (409 views)
Shortcut
"May you live in interesting times." [In reply to] Can't Post

That's too much "interesting"! Good heavens, I hope they were able to take care of everything that was going wrong! How are you feeling?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2020, 12:28am

Post #21 of 92 (408 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to have you drop in! Those were the days of the old boards "crashing" - and times when the new boards seemed to be zooming past.

IIRC, you work in a library - are you still there? How are things, these days?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2020, 12:41am

Post #22 of 92 (410 views)
Shortcut
"So ferry, 'cross the Mersey..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, my memory goes back to the Elder Days, back when Gerry and the Pacemakers would not be confused with a cardiologist centre.

(Is the Mersey polluted? Or just a terribly strong current?)

Did you make supper for the grandsons - or did they make it, for you? Smile

We've recently had a nursing home in the county have Covid run rampant through it, with three residents dying and nursing aides ill. Looks like charges are being sought against the owners for non-compliance with safety measures. The vast majority of places take this seriously and stay safe, then there's the handful of idiots who don't. Mad

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2020, 12:46am

Post #23 of 92 (410 views)
Shortcut
A decade ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was another lifetime...because there's so many differences, from before, and after. What's the city like today? I remember there were so many dangerous areas, unsteady moving ground, has everyone been able to be moved away from them?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2020, 12:49am

Post #24 of 92 (410 views)
Shortcut
How classy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations to them! I wonder whether this generation, born during the pandemic, will have a nickname.

So...did you take part in the rugby match? Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2020, 12:54am

Post #25 of 92 (410 views)
Shortcut
"bubbles" sounds nicer than "cohorts" [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what they're calling the groups of classmates around here. I know the teachers are exhausted, too!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.