Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the first-of-September reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 1 2020, 3:00pm

Post #1 of 2 (148 views)
Shortcut
It's the first-of-September reading thread! Can't Post

Some of my friends will always say "Rabbit, rabbit!" on the first day of the month. I assume it's a good-luck thing. So rabbit, rabbit to you all Smile They're promising us a change in the weather today, to a more autumnal pattern. I put my autumn wreath on the front door, so I've done my bit.

I'm listening to The Water Room by Christopher Fowler. This is one in his series of novels concerning Scotland Yard's Peculiar Crimes Unit, headed up by venerable detectives Arthur Bryant and John May. Fowler's books remind me of Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, and this one actually revolves around the same ancient waterways now hidden beneath the streets and buildings of London that are such important elements in the Grant stories. But the Grant books have a much stronger supernatural element, as well as a more contemporary, geeky, humorous voice, while the Bryant and May books have a more noir-ish feel and a more traditional structure and pace.

This installment gets off to a good start when Bryant discovers the body of an elderly woman who's apparently drowned in the river Thames while sitting in her own home.

I'm reading The Persian Boy, the second in Mary Renault's Alexander trilogy. Having so recently read Fire From Heaven, the first, I can see how this installment follows naturally on some elements set up in the first. But this one isn't from Alexander's point-of-view, it's from that of Bagoas, the Persian boy of the title. Enslaved as a child, his beauty takes him into the upper ranks of Persian society just as Alexander conquers that empire, and soon he's found his destiny with Alexander himself.

Renault's evocation of the time period and of Bagoas's voice is superb. One of the many qualities I'm enjoying is how Bagoas, trained in the complex and status-conscious ways of the Persian court, is astonished at how casually matters are conducted at the Macedonian.

So what have you been reading as you stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2020, 12:59am

Post #2 of 2 (118 views)
Shortcut
whoa... psychic connection [In reply to] Can't Post

Rabbit Rabbit.... first learned about that reading the Trixie Belden series decades ago....

John Sandford -- Prey series... three books --- Lucas saves the day.

James Patterson Alex Cross -- three books --- Alex saves the day....

I so want the library to reopen.... I hate relying on other people to choose my books --- curbside... grab bags.... wear the blasted masks people.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.