The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dol Guldor in BOFA

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2020, 8:02am

Post #1 of 2 (1974 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldor in BOFA Can't Post

I must confess to been not totally clear in my mind about the events of the Dol Guldor sub-plot in the final movie of the Hobbit. Now, in Tolkien's version there is a little bit of stragetic double-bluffing going on as Sauron is aware of the attack of the White Council, has laid his plans and withdraws with greater strength to Mordor. But is this the case in the movie? Watching it, I wasn't totally clear. It looks to me more like they did defeat Sauron and simply let him slip over to Mordor as opposed to it been part of Sauron's double plan. Which is always possible, I suppose. But anyway, I wasn't convinced that PJ's version of events was the same as Tolkien's.

Chen G.
Gondor

Aug 23 2020, 11:05am

Post #2 of 2 (1889 views)
Shortcut
It isn't quite the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron pre-empting the White Council's strike and feigning a defeat doesn't seem to figure into the movies, for understandable reasons.

To me, the noteworthy aspect of the Dol Guldur subplot, particularly in the third film, is the way it ties back into the main plot. i.e. that Sauron is in league with Smaug, is behind the Orcs that were chasing the company AND the armies attacking the Mountain.

Its an elaboration on an idea that appears in Tolkien:

I knew that Sauron had arisen again and would soon declare himself, and I knew that he was preparing for a great war. How would he begin? Would he try first to reoccupy Mordor, or would he first attack the chief strongholds of his enemies? I thought then, and I am sure now, that to attack Lórien and Rivendell, as soon as he was strong enough was his original plan.[..] The Kingdom under the Mountain and the strong Men of Dale were no more. To resist any force that Sauron might send to regain the northern passes in the mountains and the old lands of Angmar there were only the Dwarves of the Iron Hills, and behind them lay a desolation and a Dragon. The Dragon Sauron might use with terrible effect.[..]the power in Dol Guldur would not leave any attempt on Erebor unhindered.

We're also told an earlier quest by Thrain was thwarted by the Necromancer. Also:

there is a Shadow growing fast in the world far more terrible [than Smaug]. They will help one another.' And they certainly would have done so, if I had not attacked Dol Guldur at the same time.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Aug 23 2020, 11:13am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.