The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Why is TORn running so slow?

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 19 2020, 4:19am

Post #1 of 11 (3133 views)
Shortcut
Why is TORn running so slow? Can't Post

Every other webpage shows up within a second, but on TORn I literally have time to play tetris while waiting for pages to load up (at least a minute per page, sometimes more)...any idea why?

Using Windows 10 with Firefox browser, and as I said, it's ONLY TORn. Everything else is super fast.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 19 2020, 12:35pm

Post #2 of 11 (3088 views)
Shortcut
It's fine for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Eastern USA using Chrome on a Mac

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2020, 1:24pm

Post #3 of 11 (3092 views)
Shortcut
Are you using [In reply to] Can't Post

an ad-blocker? I'm wondering if the problem might be connected with slow-loading ads on the page. I've found that some sites will lock up and freeze while waiting for an ad to load.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 19 2020, 2:37pm

Post #4 of 11 (3083 views)
Shortcut
It's very slow for me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm using Windows 10, too, but with Edge---so I have a double whammy of Microsoft.

When I go to TORn, the circular "working on it" icon in the upper left whirls and whirls and whirls above a blank page, and keeps on whirling after the page finally appears. When it stops whirling, the words "Not Secure" and appear before the site address in the bar at the top of my screen.

So my very non-techie opinion is that Windows 10 is spending a long time sifting through the site for security risks and is never really satisfied it's all right.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 19 2020, 3:48pm

Post #5 of 11 (3083 views)
Shortcut
It's worst for me when my spouse is also on-line. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I do think it might be time to clear my web browser.

#FidelityToTolkien

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 19 2020, 5:43pm

Post #6 of 11 (3089 views)
Shortcut
It's the ads loading. Squire mentioned this [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe almost a year ago, and web-based ad blockers seem to get it back to normal. I use AdBlock on both Chrome and Firefox (the free versions. Don't know if there are paid versions).
Hope that helps! It's really exasperating to wait so long for things to load. Unsure

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 19 2020, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 11 (3078 views)
Shortcut
Worked like a dream-thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know TORn needs the revenue from Sideshow's ads, but sadly I am too poor to afford the collectibles anyway, no matter how amazing they are...Unsure

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2020, 11:26pm

Post #8 of 11 (3075 views)
Shortcut
*points left* [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a donate button in the sidebar, to which anyone can donate any amount they wish whenever it is convenient or desirable and banish any guilt about adblockers! Wink

Seriously though, if the ads make the site unusable for you, they won't get views anyway. Better to be here than not.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 19 2020, 11:27pm

Post #9 of 11 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Silverlode! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't spare anything til our house is done, as we're cash flowing it. But after that I may just drop Torn a dollar or two Cool

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Sep 4 2020, 12:39pm

Post #10 of 11 (2279 views)
Shortcut
For what it's worth at this point, I do use Adblock Plus // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 10:22pm

Post #11 of 11 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Adblock plus here too [In reply to] Can't Post

but on Linux ... No speed problems here - but then I think it might be influenced also by daytime. I notice whenever I load stuff from the US our "nighttime / US daytime" things feel slower.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.