Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's Friday, and time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15, 2:51am

Post #26 of 90 (312 views)
Shortcut
Avast, matey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bop bop a-loo bop, a bop bam boo! (Or something like that...Laugh)

I'm glad your folks are all right, with minimal damage done! I read that they're going to try to salvage as much of the crop as they possibly can. But there's major power outages. My girls in Chicago live two miles south of where the tornado touched down - scary, but their power stayed on, fortunately.

Had you been to Sequoia before? Ents would love tending those magnificent trees!

Yep, you've had your time to relax, now to crack the whip again and get yourself on a schedule! Or not. Do you think you'll ever fully get over that previous job?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

cats16
Valinor

Aug 15, 4:06am

Post #27 of 90 (308 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we all have our own rendition of those lyrics. :)

Yeah, sounds like Cedar Rapids in particular is struggling badly now. Good your girls kept their power! It's funny, our house back home tends to lose power whenever there's a big outage, but my grandmother (who lives only 2-3 miles away) manages to *always* keep her power. I'm not sure if I ever remember her losing it, even in the worst storms. Maybe it's some strange mystical grandma energy she's channeled over the years. Tongue

Never been to Sequoia. A beautiful drive up there, too. We saw the General Sherman tree, which is the largest tree in the world. Quite humbling to see them all up close in person. I didn't realize they were all at ~6,000 ft elevation.

Agreed! I think I'm slowly starting to get over some of it. For a few weeks I had that nagging, irrational fear that I was probably going to fall into a similarly bad situation wherever my next job is--which of course is likely not true! But bad environments skew your perception of the world outside and it takes time to expunge that bad energy.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 8:34am

Post #28 of 90 (301 views)
Shortcut
So sorry to hear of your loss [In reply to] Can't Post

but you will have many happy memories and 98 s a very good age. I love the story about the sweater. So many families are being deprived of the chance to get together and give their loved ones a proper send-off at the moment, it must be very difficult.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 8:49am

Post #29 of 90 (307 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know what a derecho was - [In reply to] Can't Post

had to look it up. You learn something every day... sounds ferocious! As for wasps in the SUV - ouch!! How nasty. Nature comes back and bites you in the most literal way, sometimes. After what is by our relatively soggy English standards a very hot spell, the air is freshening now thank goodness. We're not used to heat! The south has had it worse, days over 30C and nights over 20C, but it's been out of my comfort zone here, especially when having to wear a mask in the shops. That means anything over 25C really, I'm definitely a child of the temperate latitudes. Give me a choice between the Northern Lights and a coral reef and I have to confess I'd go for the Lights.

Music to suit the weather? Hmm... how about The Kinks and 'Sunny Afternoon'? Have the best weekend you can, folks, and stay safe.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 15, 1:01pm

Post #30 of 90 (288 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, cats. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping that Mom was treated and released, though it seems likely that she was at least admitted overnight. If I don't hear something before too long, I'll have to start placing calls.

#FidelityToTolkien

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 2:31pm

Post #31 of 90 (282 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

That's wonderful that those afghans have survived so long. :) One reason I love to knit and crochet is because of how things like that truly last and are treasured. It's amazing to think that even the things I make, even the ones I sell in my Etsy shop, may be passed down for years and years and make more than one generation happy.

They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design
'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
A million dreams for the world we're gonna make
-"A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 2:47pm

Post #32 of 90 (283 views)
Shortcut
*hugs back* [In reply to] Can't Post

It is hard even having known it was coming. I do worry about my aunt because Grammy was her whole life for so long. But we hope that now, once the time of mourning has passed, she can actually get some rest, and focus on getting her own health taken care of.

Yes, I'm so glad to have something to focus on.

I'll certainly try to. :) Thanks, gramma Heart

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 15, 3:26pm

Post #33 of 90 (282 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your daughter has a future as a comedian. Cool

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 3:28pm

Post #34 of 90 (276 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Dernwyn <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 3:31pm

Post #35 of 90 (279 views)
Shortcut
<3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Me too.

Aw, that's wonderful.Heart Yes, it's very comforting. I'd wondered what would happen to that sweater and to know it's still useful in some way means a lot to me.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 3:36pm

Post #36 of 90 (276 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kimi <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 3:51pm

Post #37 of 90 (279 views)
Shortcut
Thank you <3 And *hugs* for you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry your grandma is having to deal with that, though it's good that they found it before she became symptomatic. Extra big *hugs* for you both.

I'm a Christian too, and so was Grammy. I'm so glad you and your grandma are able to have that same hope, and also that I'll get to see you both in heaven someday. It helps that we don't have to mourn as those who have no hope, but it doesn't mean that the temporary separation from those we love doesn't hurt. Even Jesus wept when He saw Mary and Martha's grief over Lazarus, and that was knowing He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead in mere moments. He always cares and feels our sorrows along with us.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 3:54pm

Post #38 of 90 (279 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

You have my condolences for you and your family for the loss of your mother-in-law as well. I'll be praying for your mom and hope everything turns out okay for her. Sorry you're having to go through that, too.Unsure

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 3:57pm

Post #39 of 90 (275 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, cats16 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 4:03pm

Post #40 of 90 (278 views)
Shortcut
Thanks <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, she lived a long and good life and we're grateful that so much of it was with her in pretty good shape for someone her age. Hard though it was to have her decline and pass so quickly, it's for the best she didn't have to linger in that condition the stroke left her in.

One of my favorite memories of her will always be when my aunt showed her the LOTR movies and when the elves showed up at Helms Deep in TTT Grammy said, "What are all those women doing there?" Laugh

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 4:13pm

Post #41 of 90 (278 views)
Shortcut
Digging in the Archives.... very nice find indeed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 15, 6:01pm

Post #42 of 90 (278 views)
Shortcut
* claps and whistles * [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best things I've read on this board in 21 years!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 15, 6:59pm

Post #43 of 90 (270 views)
Shortcut
And thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You have my condolences for you and your family for the loss of your mother-in-law as well. I'll be praying for your mom and hope everything turns out okay for her. Sorry you're having to go through that, too.Unsure

Mom was brought home this morning and is feeling much better; she's even going out later for a family function. I don't have all the details yet for what went south, we suspect an allergic reaction combined with her infection and think she might have been given Epinephrine as well as an antibiotic.

#FidelityToTolkien

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 10:58pm

Post #44 of 90 (246 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

The hope we have doesn't quell the immediate hurt, but I see those who don't believe suffering and it breaks my heart because they don't have that hope within them of ever seeing their loved ones again Unsure

I think that passage (Jesus weeping) was God showing us it was ok to grieve and mourn the loss Heart He is with you all right now too, and I am glad you and your Grammy were believers and knew that your parting was temporary, and not one like Arwen and Elrond's last goodbye- "Bitter was their parting that should endure beyond the ends of the world."

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Aug 15, 11:00pm

Post #45 of 90 (246 views)
Shortcut
Probably lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty sure she considers me completely insane by now (especially when I mutter out story dialogue to myself for my fan fics and books in random places as I work out the characters' conversations) Wink

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15, 11:23pm

Post #46 of 90 (250 views)
Shortcut
It's similar to [In reply to] Can't Post

the microburst that downed some of gramma's trees a few weeks ago - the winds can do terrifying damage! "Line storm", like a linear hurricane.

Lazing on a sunny afternoon - in the summertime! We've had too many sunny days! It's so unusual for your area to reach 30C! That's way too hot for me, too, and we usually don't get too many days like that here, but they're becoming more frequent. Last year we bought an air conditioner for the first time (for the bedroom - clan't sleep when I'm sweating in heat and humidity!). I feel badly for my brother (and Lily Fairbairn and ElanorTX and others) down in Texas: they've had weeks of temps going over 100F (38C).

Tongue

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 1:32am

Post #47 of 90 (233 views)
Shortcut
A mixed batch [In reply to] Can't Post

of trees. We've a fairly substantial home orchard, but we add a few more to it as the fancy takes us. This winter it's a new damson tree (our old one isn't bearing very vigorously any more), an apple tree that should fruit a little earlier in the season than the others, and an avocado - we're in a good area for growing them (and we eat a lot of them), but are yet to have any success growing our own. Maybe this time!

The source of this new outbreak is still unknown. Genomic testing has established that it's not the same strain as in the original one, so it hasn't been lurking in the community in the 102 days since the last infection. It also doesn't seem to be closely related to any of the cases in current or recent quarantine. So it seems to have been the result of a different sort of border incursion - maybe via the port, or via air freight. There are quite a few infections at a cool store that processes imported food, so that's being thoroughly tested. But it's possible the source will never be identified for certain. In the meantime, priority is testing and contact tracing.

The muffins both smelled and taste delicious :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16, 4:18am

Post #48 of 90 (224 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad NZ works together [In reply to] Can't Post

And that they caught it so quickly. I predict the next run of no virus will be even longer. It's a wonder to behold :D It sounds like you have this under control on the home front... but it would be much easier if the washer worked right. Two Weeks no laundry! :D AWESOME, but a bit extreme ;)

I hope you have a very safe and peaceful weekend!!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16, 12:36pm

Post #49 of 90 (192 views)
Shortcut
Avocado tree! [In reply to] Can't Post

We once visited relatives in southern California who had one, I couldn't believe how many avocados it produced (and they didn't have to pay market price for them - jealous!). I hope you do have success with this one!

A fresh version of the virus - that's bad news! I thought it couldn't be transmitted via food? Or do they mean via those who were handling the food?

You put me in the mind for blueberries - so I made buttermilk blueberry pancakes for supper last night! Laugh

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Aug 16, 1:21pm

Post #50 of 90 (191 views)
Shortcut
My cousin lives not far from Geneva [In reply to] Can't Post

and they've been having a hot spell too, around 36C regularly - which is not what you'd expect up in the Alps! They've been sleeping in the cellar - sounds more creepy than it is.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.