Astronomy News: There's water in them thar asteroids
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 12 2020, 2:34am

Post #1 of 26 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Astronomy News: There's water in them thar asteroids Can't Post

This came as a small surprise from the Dawn probe: Dwarf planet Ceres is an 'ocean world' with sea water beneath surface, mission finds. Ceres is in the middle of the asteroid belt (hey, The Expanse fans!), and I would have thought it was too far from anything big enough to cause tidal forces that would warm its interior. For a cool photo comparing Ceres to our Moon, see here.

Way back when the Voyager craft gave us our first taste of outer moons, Io was supposed to be the only one that was geologically active and warm. Now we know more: "Jupiter’s Europa, and Saturn’s Enceladus, and Neptune’s Triton" likely have buried oceans, so maybe we should be less Mars-focused and chase the water worlds to discover their secrets and potential pockets of life?

"Since 1996, NASA has sent more than a dozen robots to orbit, rove, dig, and hop around the planet," from The Most Overhyped Planet in the Galaxy.

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 12 2020, 10:39am

Post #2 of 26 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Inyalowda na kang leta owkwa Beltalowda! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rallying cry heard this week on Ceres:
"They (Inners) can’t take our (Belters) water!"
https://www.memrise.com/...reole-phrasebook/10/ - a helpful phrase book, just in case anyone is now planning a trip.

Buried oceans in the asteroid belt. What else will we find out there? I've been re-re-re...reading KSR's Mars Trilogy. I love this planet, but wouldn't it be fun to go out and have a look around?
Wink

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 12 2020, 1:48pm

Post #3 of 26 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I want to have my Mars and eat it too [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, that didn't work. Trying again: I want to explore Mars and other places too. We keep finding things we didn't expect when we visit a new celestial body. I was probably the biggest critic ever of exploring Pluto, certain that it was a waste of money to visit a dumb rock, but it yielded all sorts of surprises. And now Ceres does too.

Well, Beltalowda, sorry, this is how it starts--we are coming for you with our ice freighters! Or maybe we'll appreciate the message of The Expanse and not be so exploitative and self-centered. One can hope.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2020, 8:54pm

Post #4 of 26 (1048 views)
Shortcut
When it was announced [In reply to] Can't Post

that a large find of ice had been found at one of Mars's poles, there was commentary left, right and centre about how it could be used for rocket fuel.

I, meanwhile, wondered if we'd ever learn to not plunder a planet's resources for short-term gain (even though I'd love to stand on Mars and look back at the sun).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 12 2020, 11:08pm

Post #5 of 26 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Yes, CG, you can have your Mars and eat it, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

(ok, maybe that didn't work, either. Wink)

Seriously, it seems even a candy company can do something for Terra's environment. Mars Australia has signed contracts to go completely solar, doing their bit for Planet A.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...rs-and-the-sun-poll/

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 13 2020, 9:36am

Post #6 of 26 (1011 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! Wonderful. Let the candy bar consumption begin. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 13 2020, 9:44am

Post #7 of 26 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Mars: an off-limits nature sanctuary, or the next strip mine? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the same reaction to the lust for exploiting Mars' very limited ice reserves. Though I don't have any compunction about exploiting anything we find on the Moon. Mars seems worth preserving as an ecosystem, and we don't know what fragile forms of life we could destroy there through ignorance and greed, whereas the Moon, attractive as it is as a sky ornament, is dead and useless, so why not construct Belch-o-matic Industrial Extractors on its surface to further our colonization and exploration of space?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 13 2020, 5:23pm

Post #8 of 26 (1000 views)
Shortcut
"Praxis is their key energy production facility." [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though I don't have any compunction about exploiting anything we find on the Moon. ... the Moon, attractive as it is as a sky ornament, is dead and useless, so why not construct Belch-o-matic Industrial Extractors on its surface to further our colonization and exploration of space?

I think I know how that movie ends.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 14 2020, 6:11pm

Post #9 of 26 (954 views)
Shortcut
Whoever mars Mars, Mars bars. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 15 2020, 1:56am

Post #10 of 26 (943 views)
Shortcut
Pfffff! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, I think CuriousG 's original post was meant to be a serious observation on a fascinating mini-planet in our very own solar system, concerning which some posters here are displaying an appalling lack of gravity.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 15 2020, 2:11am

Post #11 of 26 (937 views)
Shortcut
As an Astronomy nut, I take umbra--ge [In reply to] Can't Post

at that.
And I've been described as thin, but hardly weightless. Angelic

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 15 2020, 5:52am

Post #12 of 26 (926 views)
Shortcut
Astronomy: Nut, Egyptian Goddess of the Sky and the Heavens, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will you be the first to sign my petition to rename one of the 7 daddy-god-named planets after Her? (Hey, Pluto totally counts for this.) She needs Her own planet. There's an appalling gender imbalance in planet names out there! All we've got is Venus and a bunch of satellites and asteroids. Seriously?! One planet?!

At least somewhere out there we've got Varda, Queen of the Valar and Creator of the Stars, and Her handmaiden, Ilmarë. That's pretty special. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 15 2020, 3:43pm

Post #13 of 26 (904 views)
Shortcut
Nut! Yes, perhaps start with this one. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://qz.com/...shaped-ultima-thule/

Yes! I shall sign. Cool But not Pluto. I'm still mad he got deposed. Mad

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 15 2020, 4:55pm

Post #14 of 26 (900 views)
Shortcut
Such exorbitant demands [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're gonna protest, make sure you planet right to get media attention, or you'll be eclipsed by some movie star's love life.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 15 2020, 5:11pm

Post #15 of 26 (896 views)
Shortcut
I'll put on a parallax and get busy.// [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 16 2020, 1:51pm

Post #16 of 26 (873 views)
Shortcut
*Snickers* - You telescoped that one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 16 2020, 1:53pm

Post #17 of 26 (872 views)
Shortcut
"Nobody better lay a finger on - wait..." // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16 2020, 4:32pm

Post #18 of 26 (867 views)
Shortcut
And you eclipsed that with mentioning "Snickers" (which are made by Mars)! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 16 2020, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 26 (868 views)
Shortcut
A pun be-Twixt a reference? Almond Joy-ing this! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 17 2020, 7:46pm

Post #20 of 26 (846 views)
Shortcut
No comet. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 18 2020, 3:14pm

Post #21 of 26 (842 views)
Shortcut
It just Dawned on me with a Big Bang that you're not being Ceres-us and [In reply to] Can't Post

have cratered this thread with a meteoric rise in humor, including many nebulous references. I am left mooning over your stellar wit.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 18 2020, 3:31pm

Post #22 of 26 (842 views)
Shortcut
It's just my Steady State. [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 18 2020, 4:41pm

Post #23 of 26 (833 views)
Shortcut
Shirley you can't be Sirius? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 18 2020, 4:50pm

Post #24 of 26 (836 views)
Shortcut
Yes, my dog *is* a star. And--Do I take the bait? Do I not [In reply to] Can't Post

take the bait. Do I take the bait? Do I not take the bait. Do I . . .

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Aug 18 2020, 4:51pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18 2020, 11:53pm

Post #25 of 26 (824 views)
Shortcut
Even unbaited... these Stell ar bunches of pun :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.