Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Silmarillion movie trilogy by Peter Jackson- how likely??

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jul 29 2020, 1:12pm

Post #1 of 13 (1993 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion movie trilogy by Peter Jackson- how likely?? Can't Post

I love the LOTR films and really like The Hobbit. I know the rights to The Silmarillion are not available...but with the changes at the Tolkien Estate, and the desire from movie studios to have franchises, what do you really think are the chances of us seeing a trilogy (or some other format) of movies from Peter Jackson and his team? Jackson has remarked that he didn’t want to immediately return to Middle Earth but it’s now almost ten years since he filmed The Hobbit (!!!) so what are your thoughts? I know The Hobbit disappointed some, but maybe Jackson would view a Silmarilllion adaptation as a way to redeem himself?? Another “unfilmable” book??

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2020, 2:51pm

Post #2 of 13 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Very Unlikely, I Should Think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with the changes going on within the Tolkien Estate, I'm not sure that the screen rights to The Silmarillion will be sold in the foreseeable future. And even if the members of the Estate are willing to let Peter Jackson head up such a project, I don't know that Jackson would want to take on such a time- and labor-intensive project once again--at least not as director. Also, I do not trust Jackson's tendency towards self-indulgence.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 29 2020, 2:52pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2020, 1:16am

Post #3 of 13 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition, because of the "historical chronicle" style in which it is written, any Silmarillion adaptation would be largely fanfiction-y, with nearly all the dialogue and much of the storyline filled in by whoever was writing the screenplay. Much as I love LOTR, I don't feel that they were always successful in mimicking Tolkien's style in their invented dialogue. Speaking purely for myself, writing would be a major issue in any Silmarillion adaptation, no matter who directed it.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Aug 4 2020, 2:24am

Post #4 of 13 (1742 views)
Shortcut
After The Hobbit, I'm hoping zero [In reply to] Can't Post

After what he did with "The Lord of the Rings", I think I'd be tentatively interested if Jackson doing 2 or 3 movies based on "The Children of Hurin" but only if they promised to not do all the freeform changes they did with "The Hobbit". I have no faith and no interest in him doing "The Silmarillion", just too much room for them to bastardize it the way they did "The Hobbit".

mwirkk
Rohan

Aug 8 2020, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (1598 views)
Shortcut
Problematic subject matter in CoH [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been on the proverbial fence about The Children of Hurin as an adaptation for theatrical release. I'd love to see one in some form. There's a tonne of great story material in there to tell and explore. However, I would suspect the bit involving incest would get a lot of pushback in some parts of the world (including the U.S.), and at the very least require an M or R rating without some fundamental modification to that aspect of the story.

-Matt in Seattle

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

(This post was edited by mwirkk on Aug 8 2020, 8:58pm)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 8 2020, 11:31pm

Post #6 of 13 (1583 views)
Shortcut
I think if you don't make Children of Hurin with an R rating, it's not worth making. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a children's tale and it's not family friendly. The edgy adult nature of the tragedy is the whole point, so why bowdlerize it? We'd be left with a pointless movie that happens to have 'JRR Tolkien' attached to it.

One good thing to come from a CoH movie would be dispelling the idea that Tolkien never writes sexual relationships, and that his good guys always win against impossible odds.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

mwirkk
Rohan

Aug 8 2020, 11:38pm

Post #7 of 13 (1576 views)
Shortcut
I agree, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everything you've said. However, we're talking "Hollywood", which translates to "return on investment." Probably could only be done right by an Indie.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9 2020, 1:10am

Post #8 of 13 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Not for Kids [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think if you don't make Children of Hurin with an R rating, it's not worth making.

A movie version of The Children of Hurin wouldn't necessarily need to be rated 'R'. It could be a hard PG-13 and still tell the story effectively. But I don't see any impediments to a faithful adaptation.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 9 2020, 1:11am)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 9 2020, 1:29am

Post #9 of 13 (1565 views)
Shortcut
PG-13? I don't think I'd want to watch that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never imagined Turin virtually raping the naked Saeros by chasing him from behind while "pricking:" his butt with a sword, without shooting the scene for an R rating. It's an R-rated concept as the author wrote it.

Now, I allow that the counter-argument is that we are thinking Hollywood might want to make this movie, to extend the so-called 'Tolkien franchise' or 'Tolkien cinematic universe' or whatever they call that game these days. And Hollywood will insist on PG-13.

But that's why Hollywood should not touch 'Children of Hurin' with a ten-foot pole (or prick it with a five-foot sword). I doubt the movie will ever be made, but if it is, pray that it is made by an independent producer with art in mind as much as bucks.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

mwirkk
Rohan

Aug 9 2020, 1:30am

Post #10 of 13 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you could be right about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there was a scene in "Joe Dirt" between Joe (David Spade) and Jill (Jamie Pressly) where there was an insinuation of incest.

And it was a comedy.

I liked Joe Dirt. Especially the part about Space Peanuts. <8b

(This post was edited by mwirkk on Aug 9 2020, 1:32am)

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2020, 8:23am

Post #11 of 13 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

We do accept issues like incest in Greek tragedy for example and we are quite happy to tell those tales to children so we could have these issues in a more adult Tolkien tale.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Aug 9 2020, 3:19pm

Post #12 of 13 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't need to be "R" [In reply to] Can't Post

A creative filmmaker can imply activities without having to actually show them or apply photo effects or strategically placed "background" (in this case foreground) objects.
One of the problems I have with modern filmmakers is that they think they have to show all the blood and gore or sex explicitly. Give me a John Ford over Quentin Tarantino any day.
The storyline behind COH is very much in the vein of a Greek tragedy. The Saeros scene is an element to the story, not the fundamental story itself, and could definitely be shot to be PG-13 or even PG without disturbing the story much at all.

mwirkk
Rohan

Aug 9 2020, 5:11pm

Post #13 of 13 (1499 views)
Shortcut
The Disney treatment [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much agree with everything you've said there. I just don't trust that it would get the proper handling it deserves in the hands of just any director/producer/studio. There seems to be this incessant need or belief that everything has to be revised, modernized, or made "relevant" for the understandings and sensitivities of a modern audience (which is code for ignorant masses) rather than letting the material stand on its own feet in its original context. Of coarse, some changes always have to be made when transforming material between mediums. That's well understood and accepted. (And more than well hashed out on the original TORn forums '99-2003 and beyond.) I just am not very trusting in that regard. Though I am a big fan of Peter's work and quite happy the movies were made (but not entirely, both series had their share of disappointments) I was on the whole quite happy that Christopher was as protective of the works as he was. We wouldn't have much of this material and its scholarship now if not for him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.