The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Amazon's LotR series adds crew members

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 2 2020, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 9 (3836 views)
Shortcut
Amazon's LotR series adds crew members Can't Post

Tolkien News on Twitter reports that Amazon Prime's Lord of the Rings show has added four more crew members:

As you all know, the #LOTR series is being shot in New Zealand again after a longer standstill because of the Covid. In the period of the Corona "break" many actors and especially production members were added, like Chris Hiles [sound recordist], Oscar Faura [cinematographer], Helene Takacs [production manager, visual effects] and Damien Bryson [stunt performer; actor]. ….

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 2 2020, 5:08pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 2 2020, 6:20pm

Post #2 of 9 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Addendum [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship of Fans on YouTube notes that both Bryson and Takacs have worked on the Hobbit films.

#FidelityToTolkien

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Aug 3 2020, 12:26am

Post #3 of 9 (3756 views)
Shortcut
Good grief... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't hire anyone that worked on those films!

squire
Half-elven

Aug 3 2020, 2:19am

Post #4 of 9 (3743 views)
Shortcut
In New Zealand, as elsewhere, technical film skills have nothing to do with how good the movies were. [In reply to] Can't Post

The people who worked on The Hobbit film, now enlisted for the Amazon TV series, are evidently technical staff. They can hardly be blamed for errors of direction and writing.

And the New Zealand professional film community is so small, I would guess, that it would be impossible and impractical for the Amazon folks to look to hire only non-Hobbit tech staff, even if they were inclined to do so.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 3 2020, 3:10am

Post #5 of 9 (3738 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The people who worked on The Hobbit film, now enlisted for the Amazon TV series, are evidently technical staff. They can hardly be blamed for errors of direction and writing.

And the New Zealand professional film community is so small, I would guess, that it would be impossible and impractical for the Amazon folks to look to hire only non-Hobbit tech staff, even if they were inclined to do so.

Some of these folks also worked on Mortal Engines and I would not blame them for any problems with that film either.

#FidelityToTolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2020, 9:19pm

Post #6 of 9 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Courtney Brown, new Head of Publicity [In reply to] Can't Post

Rich Johnson of Bleeding Cool reports: Courtney (Simmons) Brown Quits DC for Amazon and Lord Of The Rings

Last month, Bleeding Cool broke the news that Courtney Simmons, Senior VP, DC Publicity & Communications at Warner Bros. Entertainment was leaving DC Comics AND Warner Bros this August, after nearly a decade at the comic book publisher. Today Bleeding Cool has learned a couple of things. Firstly, that she is now Courtney Brown. And, secondly, that she is now the new Head of The Lord of the Rings Franchise Publicity at Amazon Studios – which means congratulations are very much in order.

Thanks to Fellowship of Fans for the alert!

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 4 2020, 9:21pm)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 5 2020, 2:02am

Post #7 of 9 (3550 views)
Shortcut
What is the relation of Bleeding Cool to Ain't It Cool News? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I remember, the AICN site was a primary source for gossip and leaks from the Lord of the Rings films in the early 2000s.

Is it mere coincidence that this site's name and interest in a Tolkien production overlap so clearly with AICN?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2020, 2:47am

Post #8 of 9 (3546 views)
Shortcut
Coincidence, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Has Rich Johnson been heavily involved with Ain't It Cool News? Not that I'm aware of anyway.

#FidelityToTolkien

fantasywind
Rivendell

Aug 5 2020, 2:13pm

Post #9 of 9 (3488 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said, but in the end even from technical standpoint the Hobbit films were nothing particularly special the only big deal about them was that 60 frames per second, but visually they were not appealing to me as much, even some locations were not as good as I hoped (the Unexpected Journey had some nice landscapes as usual though) also overuse of CGI may have made the Hobbit films a bit too artificial looking. I guess it's also part of the industry, the same people work on many projects because first there is not that many of them, second those already experienced are more valuable.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.