Susan Ellison, R.I.P.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2020, 10:07pm

Post #1 of 2 (278 views)
Shortcut
Susan Ellison, R.I.P. Can't Post

Mark Evanier posts at his blog News From ME:

As if we didn't have enough sad news coming at us these days, we've just heard that Susan Ellison, widow of Harlan Ellison, passed away in her sleep last night. We lost Harlan in June of 2018…and now this.

No one seems to know the cause of death for sure and I believe she was sixty years old. They married in 1986 so they had 32 years together before he died…and from what I could see, they were thirty-two very happy years.

There's a bit more at the link. I've never met Susan. I've never really met Harlan, though I saw him (and Isaac Asimov) in person years ago at a con in Rochester, NY. This was long before Harlan and Susan were wed. Susan was by all accounts a lovely woman who was fiercely protective of her husband. She will be missed by her family and friends.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 4 2020, 10:10pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 5 2020, 2:37am

Post #2 of 2 (263 views)
Shortcut
I saw Harlan Ellison speak in 1990. [In reply to] Can't Post

Angry Candy, a collection of some of his short stories, had been selected as required reading for a track of freshmen English classes at the college I attended. His remarks were very entertaining, if more than a bit self-aggrandizing. Later I acquired his collected movie reviews, Harland Ellison's Watching, which had much the same qualities, and where I remember Susan Ellison being mentioned a time or two.

Harlan Ellison infamously sat for 45 years, almost my entirely lifetime, on The Last Dangerous Visions, a collection of others' short stories (more than 100 in all) that he was supposed to have edited and provided introductions for. It remains unpublished to this day. According to Wikipedia, there was even been a book published in 1995 (and nominated for a Hugo), The Book on the Edge of Forever by Christopher Priest, about how Ellison's project was never finished.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.