Sindarin questions (language)

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 15 2020, 4:13am

Post #1 of 6 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Sindarin questions (language) Can't Post

Hello all! Smile

So, long story short, I'm curious about how to write certain phrases in Sindarin (not script, just translation). I do have a keen interest in languages, and am a writer myself, but (as embarrassing as it is), I'm not as good with the linguistic side of language terminology. I can write very well- I just don't remember all the actual terms for everything.

Thus, most online guides may as well be speaking at least half-gibberish, especially when it comes to conjugating verbs to create sentences. I would LOVE to be able to write and speak some basic form of Sindarin (well, as best as one can, considering Tolkien didn't exactly create an all-comprehensive dictionary for us...).

But without being able to conjugate verbs, and understand Sindarin sentence structure, I'm kinda stuck...there are a few phrases I'd like to know how to say sooner rather than later (for starters, I'd love to be able to say "I love you" in Sindarin to my husband Laugh). But if I have a dictionary and list of Sindarin verb roots, I'd like to be able to know how to construct simple sentences with proper verb conjugation.

(I do have Salo's Introduction to Sindarin, but it's packed away til our house is done being built so have to rely on Parf Edhellen and other decent online dictionaries for now. Also, again without knowing exact terms most of it is gibberish).

So, has anyone out there taken the time to construct a very basic (ie first year level) type chart that shows basic verb conjugations/endings? And a layout of basic sentence structure?

A chart like this for a verb (or for any various verb ending groups (for example, in Spanish -ar, -er, and -ir endings conjugate differently) would work great (past, present, and future tenses-as I said, basic):

I sing-___You sing-___You sing (formal)-___We sing-___
You all sing-___We sing (formal)-___

And if someone knows basic sentence structure (for example, in English it's subject, predicate (with verb leading), and if an adjective is used, it's before the noun it's describing) for Sindarin that would also be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

A note- while I love calligraphy and intend on learning how to write Sindarin script as well, I'm mainly looking for just how to write sentences using the Roman alphabet so I can either put it write it on the computer or just say it out loud Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Aelfwine
Rivendell

Jul 15 2020, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 6 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Re: Sindarin questions [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem with Sindarin (and Quenya) is that there's really no "right" answer to such questions, because Tolkien at different times himself had different views. The best one can do, if one wants to "speak" Sindarin, is to choose from the various grammatical systems Tolkien developed, and stick to that. That's what Fiona Jallings has done in her book, "A Fan's Guide to Neo-Sindarin", which might be what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/...ebook/dp/B073NRHTV7/

If you're interested in reading more about what were Tolkien's methods and purposes in inventing the Elvish languages, I cover that in an essay called "Elvish as She Is Spoke", which you read here:

https://www.elvish.org/articles/EASIS.pdf

--
Carl F. Hostetter

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 15 2020, 4:48pm

Post #3 of 6 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll check it out! Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2020, 8:20am

Post #4 of 6 (1095 views)
Shortcut
There are some real-life languages which Tolkien based Sindarian upon [In reply to] Can't Post

Loosely based admittedly. But if you look at Finnish or Welsh you might find phrases which would fit in well with Sindarian. Then again, Finnish and Welsh are probably two of the trickiest languages to learn, so I wish you luck!

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 9 2020, 8:50pm

Post #5 of 6 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Ioreth
Rivendell

Nov 2 2020, 6:17pm

Post #6 of 6 (382 views)
Shortcut
even if somewhat late [In reply to] Can't Post

for specific questions I guess you could contact Mellonath Daeron: https://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_home.html

(This post was edited by Ioreth on Nov 2 2020, 6:17pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.