Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The latest news about Tolkien's Favorite Tree!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2020, 2:19am

Post #1 of 5 (1432 views)
Shortcut
The latest news about Tolkien's Favorite Tree! Can't Post

From The Tolkienist: https://thetolkienist.com/...ic-garden-arboretum/

I remember when this tree had to be cut down. But it's going to live on, in several ways!

Not sure how I feel, however, about the black pine whiskey...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12 2020, 2:15pm

Post #2 of 5 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Plant 88 [In reply to] Can't Post

This really is great news that they've saved his tree with seedlings. I love that they'll plant the best ones near the original tree's location. I do have to say the whiskey is a head-scratcher; but knowing how much the English enjoy pubs and good spirits makes it more understandable.

Personally, I'd love to have something from the saved wood planks myself. Just a small tribute; but I'm scared of the cost that will be placed on this limited inventory.

Thanks for this! It will be fun to see how it all turns out :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 12 2020, 2:16pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 12 2020, 4:23pm

Post #3 of 5 (1357 views)
Shortcut
It is good news they were able to save it via seedlings [In reply to] Can't Post

Such fate wasn't accorded to the Hollin Gate trees:

‘Well, well!’ said the wizard. ‘The passage is blocked behind us now, and there is only one way out – on the other side of the mountains. I fear from the sounds that boulders have been piled up, and the trees uprooted and thrown across the gate. I am sorry; for the trees were beautiful, and had stood so long.’

But Gramma recently posted about another long line of seedling succession that Tolkien would no doubt approve of for his pinus nigra:

‘Verily this is a sapling of the line of Nimloth the fair; and that was a seedling of Galathilion, and that a fruit of Telperion of many names, Eldest of Trees.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 21 2020, 9:18pm

Post #4 of 5 (1228 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting and positive news [In reply to] Can't Post

although I share the doubts about the whisky! Goodness knows how much the boxed bottles will eventually cost. Where whisky is concerned, I'm more worried about what it tastes like than how it's packed. At least it sounds like they will do lots of special things with the wood in due course. Bookends, anyone? There are so many possibilities...

There is a beautiful book called 'Onetree' (by Gary Olson and Peter Toaig, pub. Merrell) about a project to demonstrate the economic and cultural values of English woodlands. It started with the felling of a 170yr old oak and the distribution of its wood, leaves, bark, twigs, every last bit, to over 70 leading artists, designers and makers who in time prodced furniture, sculpture, bookbinding, jewellery, toys, automata, even poetry. Sawdust was mixed with resin to make a tabletop and was also used to smoke salmon. Nothing was wasted. Local schoolchildren planted acorns from the tree. So I hope it will be, in time, with Tolien's favourite Pinus nigra.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2020, 12:09am

Post #5 of 5 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

That tree must have been huge when it was felled! Part of it was used for bookbinding? I'll have to look into this!

I'm hoping that there will be some small jewelry made from the wood. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.