Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's Friday - and time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10, 4:05pm

Post #1 of 60 (400 views)
Shortcut
*gets keys, unlocks door* It's Friday - and time for Fiesta! Can't Post

Welcome, all and sundry, to Fiesta Friday! Our esteemed barmistress, Altaira, is tending to business duties, so I shall be your hostess today.

I've got the blenders plugged in and ready, and plenty of fruits, juices, and yogurt to make smoothies! What would you like in yours?

And who else is having this heat and humidity? Although here in the Northeast U.S., it's going to get stormy later on, as a tropical depression glides through. NZ and Aussie folks, are you keeping warm?

So tell us: what have you been up to this week, and what are your plans for the weekend?

*puts quarters on juke box* How about playing us something "cool"! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 60 (329 views)
Shortcut
I'm on time for once! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, everyone! I'm on time for Fiesta for once! Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July last week whether it was a day of celebration or just another Saturday. Smile Ours was good even though half the neighborhood fired off illegal fireworks. Thankfully the beagle and the lab mix pup weren't too bothered other than a little barking at the closest booms.

Yep, we've got the heat and humidity here. *sweats*

Looks like I haven't posted since March, just before quarantine started in my area, though I did log on and read posts. Quarantine didn't change my life that much since my family doesn't go out much anyway. It did take away church and Sunday school, though, which was sad because I miss my 1st graders like crazy. However, our state's reopening has been going well, so our church is going to try to get an outdoor version of Sunday school started back on the 19th of this month, which I'm really looking forward to.

In family news, last time I posted, Grammy had just gone to the hospital for a UTI. She got treated for that, was in a care facility for much of the first part of quarantine (because the facility got locked down) but then she finally got to go home early last month. She was so extremely happy to be home for her 98th birthday. Unfortunately, less than a week later she had the second stroke of her life and had to stay in the hospital for a couple days. My uncle, who is in poor physical shape, rode with her to the hospital, and while there, tripped in a hallway, didn't catch himself, and got knocked unconscious when he hit the ground. He got a black eye and also spent a day as a patient there, but then got to go home and has been okay since. Grammy is also back home now, but the stroke caused her to be weak on her right side and gave her "Sundowner's Syndrome" where the elderly get more confused and agitated at night. My aunt is doing the best she can to care for Grammy with assistance from OT and PT, but it's not the best situation in the world. My parents and I haven't been able to travel to where they live since 2009 because of my dad's health issues, so there's nothing we can do to help but give advice and be emotional support. Unsure

In much more positive news, quarantine forced a speculative fiction writer's convention that I've never been able to go to in person to have the con online this year, soooo NOW I GET TO "GO" TO IT!!! SQUEEEEEEE!!! Laugh It's Thursday through Saturday next week and I can't waaaaaaait!!!! They also have a membership program where you get access to exclusive learning content and critique groups, so I joined that as well and have been sorted into a group. This will truly be a blessing because I finished writing my massive portal fantasy in April, am now working intensively to edit it (which is going quite well) and had no idea how I was going to get beta readers/critiques for something this long via asking around on my social medias.

In more writing news, I have a flash fiction out on submission to online magazines right now. 5 rejections so far, HOWEVER, one of those was a "good" rejection. The editor of Fantasy & Science Fiction, C.C. Finlay explained in a blog post of his that he has a three different form rejections he gives out, and each one means something different. I got the rejection from him that means he thought it was a really good story, it just didn't quite win him over, and I should keep sending it out because it may likely get accepted somewhere. *happy flailing* So, I've been continuing to try. Smile

In crafting news, I announced on my EruvandiCrafts Etsy shop newsletter and Instagram that the collection I'm working on is Wizard of Oz themed, will have 3 baby blankets, 2 fingerless gloves, 2 scarves, and 2 necklaces, and I'm hoping to launch it in October. This collection is so fun to design and make, and while I'm learning while I go and probably haven't had the best timing with my various announcements Tongue I'm still so excited to share it with everyone!

Well, that's all the news I have for now. I'll try to check back in before another 4 months pass.Tongue

They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design
'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
A million dreams for the world we're gonna make
-"A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 60 (324 views)
Shortcut
You've had a lot going on! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear your Grammy is having troubles, but at 98 years old - wow! And your poor uncle! I know how much you and your family want to be with them!

An online fiction writers' convention? Wonderful! And keep sending the story out, I do like the sound of that "good" rejection letter, that's great encouragement.

Aw, a Wizard of Oz theme! Do you craft a variety of the characters on each item? Best of luck with it! Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10, 6:53pm

Post #4 of 60 (322 views)
Shortcut
[insert subject here] [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, all things considered, she's doing pretty well for a 98 year old. :)

I'm honestly hoping this year will convince the various cons to have an online option every year, because in reality, so many writers can't travel for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to benefit from the community and learning of a con, not to mention exclusive pitching and mentor appointment opportunities, etc. The people running this one even said that for as many people as they lost when they shifted to doing it on line, the got just as many brand new people (including me!) signing up. Fingers crossed!

It really was! Especially coming from such a prominent editor as Finlay. I wish more people in the industry, editors and agents, would do something like that because it's such a simple system that doesn't take him extra time, but is so informative for the writer.

I'm focusing on one character or element from the story for each individual item for this one. Smile Like, (spoiler alert) one of the blankets has Toto on it, the two necklaces are based on two separate characters, etc, etc. With the yarn items it's easier to put images on them, but with the jewelry, I'm having to base the design more on the aesthetic of the character.

I would have loved to do one item for every major character/story element, but decided that would be a bit much for my very first full collection. Plus, a handmade business coach I follow who really knows what's she's doing recommended 9-10 items per collection to keep them from getting overwhelming, so someday there may be a Wizard of Oz part 2 collection so I can make designs for the other characters! Wink

Thanks!Heart

They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design
'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
A million dreams for the world we're gonna make
-"A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman

Annael
Immortal

Jul 10, 7:35pm

Post #5 of 60 (322 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a blended margarita please! [In reply to] Can't Post

an alcoholic Slurpee, in other words.

We in the PNW are having a cool summer so far . . . that is, we are having exactly the kind of summer I grew up knowing, where any day over 70 F is a "hot" day. We might hit 75 today, but it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. We are not complaining. The 90- and 100-degree weather we got the last few summers was no fun. Also, cooler temps = lower fire risk.

Been working on my historical novel. It's taking a lot of research, since I (foolishly?) have chosen to write about real people living in a real place during real events. It occurred to me the other night that it would have been easier to write a complete work of fiction "inspired by" these people & events instead of imagining how the real people behaved in the situation. But I think I'm too far along to change gears that drastically.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10, 8:15pm

Post #6 of 60 (315 views)
Shortcut
*gets out tequila* [In reply to] Can't Post

What's that saying, about being careful when one puts a foot outside their door and starts walking on a path - you can never tell where you'll be going! Wink

You've got quite a bit of work ahead of you, and no mistake, but I hope you're finding some wonderful surprises along the way, and that all the pieces will eventually fall into place to your satisfaction. Cool What an adventure writing is!

Do you have any more retreats planned?

cats16
Valinor

Jul 10, 9:03pm

Post #7 of 60 (316 views)
Shortcut
*swoops in* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya, dernwyn! I saw you have a storm rolling through--hope it's just wet this weekend and nothing worse.

Still loading up on the R&R here now that I'm temporarily not working. The first week was a true staycation, and now I've been slowly trying to build up to a routine in which I find some productivity along the way with writing and reading. It's too bad the world isn't traversable now--I'd be jet-setting if I could! It feels really nice to have much of the stress/anxiety out of my body. I was going through my camera roll and accidentally clicked on a screenshot of a nasty text my boss had sent me weeks ago--instantly I felt that nasty, gross feeling of anxiety that makes you ill on the spot. Oof! Keeping the screenshot for posterity, but will be more careful as to not look at it. Angelic

I briefly considered renting a car and finding a cabin or something similar in the middle of nowhere, say, in Montana. But I've decided for me personally the world is simply not in a place where that's safe (for me, or for folks in MT). I still hope to go on a couple of day trips upstate into the national forests for some nice, long hikes away from the city.

LA was absolutely chaotic on the 4th of July. Streets were strewn with folks setting off illegal fireworks, which went on like a bombardment well into the night. On the 5th, we were told that the city's air quality was the worst in the *entire world* that day. The air was hazardous. Better now, thankfully!

Wishing everyone a great weekend!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 10, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 60 (313 views)
Shortcut
'Tis a bit chilly here this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

We are half way through school holidays. It's nice to slow down after what we are all referring to as the '22 week term'.
If Midgey will come out from under the blankets we will head to the park for a nice bracing walk.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10, 9:49pm

Post #9 of 60 (313 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely chilly here, with a touch of frost some days. I've just been hanging out the washing, and my fingers are red and grumbling over getting so cold! But it's a lovely, bright morning, Mr Kimi has made a cake for our morning tea, and I have a loaf of sourdough ready to go in the oven, so all is well.

Following our new policy of going for a nice, long walk every week if we get a fine winter's day, yesterday we went to another of the regional parks and had a delightful 10km hike. Lots of lovely views, and a bonus of a daytime owl sighting. Crisp sunshine, but as we drove away the rain clouds arrived, so our timing could not have been better.

Some photos (including the effect of light on the water I'm so fond of) starting here.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 10, 9:58pm

Post #10 of 60 (307 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I don't do 'minus' temps. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not even that fond of single-digit temps. Although the results are pretty.

(The Lonely Mountain in his winter robe.)

Good luck with getting Midgey moving! I think he's got the right idea - stay under cover until the cold goes away! Angelic

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 10, 10:05pm

Post #11 of 60 (303 views)
Shortcut
I've been there. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
accidentally clicked on a screenshot of a nasty text my boss had sent me weeks ago--instantly I felt that nasty, gross feeling of anxiety that makes you ill on the spot.

My manager liked sending me emails blaming me for something that had surprised her, without her first checking what the actual situation was. Whenever a new email popped up from her, I knew I was going to have a terrible day.

These people aren't leaders and shouldn't be in charge of other people. You're well shot of your awful boss, cats. There are good managers out there - people who focus on their staff members' strengths and build them up to grow as professionals - and you deserve having that kind of leadership in your work life. Don't settle for less.

Be sure to take photos on your hike! I'd love to see what kind of forests you have near LA. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 11, 12:32am

Post #12 of 60 (296 views)
Shortcut
It's a day for iced coffee here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hot and muggy in Western New York. We seem to have a break on the way though!

#FidelityToTolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 1:46am

Post #13 of 60 (283 views)
Shortcut
That must have been [In reply to] Can't Post

a real "winner" of a text message! Now I'm wondering how you ever managed to hang on that long without going insane. Enjoy your respite - you deserve it!

*blends blueberry, banana and avocado smoothie* And glad you're letting yourself heal. Walks and hikes are the best, and you can breathe deeply - which apparently no one should have been doing in LA! The air on the 5th must have been saturated with firework smoke!

We've gotten a bit of rain and wind, but it looks like the storm is heading north from NYC, soaking everything west of itself. Hopefully it'll take some of this humidity with it!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 1:48am

Post #14 of 60 (284 views)
Shortcut
Just a tad chilly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have a nice warm doggie-coat for Midgey, and some paw booties! Any snow on the ground?

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 11, 1:48am

Post #15 of 60 (286 views)
Shortcut
Maunga looking gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

On the teacher facebook page, someone has requested photos of Mt Taranaki from different vantage points, so she can utilise them next term with her class. There is a long thread of stunning images people have shared. Beautiful from every angle.

By the time we got to the park it was a very balmy 6 degrees. We had a lovely, if muddy, walk.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 1:50am

Post #16 of 60 (283 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something about a dusting of snow that adds to the magnificence of a mountain!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 11, 1:53am

Post #17 of 60 (285 views)
Shortcut
Snow is a rare event here on the flat [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a light dusting on the hills nearby during the latest cold snap.So no doggie jacket or boots required this morning.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 2:04am

Post #18 of 60 (283 views)
Shortcut
Your timing was perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the rain rolling in from over the sea, in that one picture? And how did you get the owl to pose so nicely for you? (How did you ever manage to notice him!)

Your hanging out the wash in the cold reminds me of the title of one of the regular stories written by our town's late historian: "Don't Break the Overalls", referring to frozen-solid clothes! The winters used to be colder, and stayed cold longer, here.

A cake for tea, and sourdough in the oven, mmm! Enjoy!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 2:10am

Post #19 of 60 (281 views)
Shortcut
*blends ice, coffee* [In reply to] Can't Post

Any sugar or milk needed in that? I brew up three cups of hot coffee on Saturday mornings, have a cup with breakfast, then let the rest cool down and enjoy iced coffee later on. Hubby brews iced tea from black tea bags, we drink that constantly when it's hot.

Looks like the storm missed you, too! Hopefully it's dragged some of this heat & humidity with it!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jul 11, 9:26am

Post #20 of 60 (257 views)
Shortcut
'Don't break the overalls' - classic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't had that problem for quite some time, winters here are not generally harsh, but I can remember wrestling crackling bedsheets in through the door in the high and far off times when I lived in North Wales. I like the idea of collecting lots of different views of the same mountain for a school project. Sometimes youngsters need to be reminded to look up from their interests and appreciate fully the wonder of what is around them, whether that's a distant mountain range or an urban flowerbed.

I finished my lockdown patchwork project this week, after much dark muttering and unpicking. Twelve panels (12" x 8" each involving 32 pieces) with a flower, stem and leaf motif, joined by sashing and with an outer border. It looks alright to the casual eye, but I struggled with it and am going to choose something MUCH less fiddly for my next project!
Now that things are generally loosening up a bit (please, let there not be a second spike!) I need to give some thought to shifting the 6lb I gained during lockdown. Can't afford to put any more weight on! So I'll skip those delicious-sounding smoothies and do a Gandalf - 'Just tea, thank you'. Have a good weekend, cheers to you all!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 11, 1:30pm

Post #21 of 60 (229 views)
Shortcut
Sweet with cream, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was still pretty warm when I clocked out of Tops this morning, but not oppressively so. I think the parking lot retained a lot of heat from the previous day. Yeah we barely got a sprinkle over night along with some distant thunder.

#FidelityToTolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 1:57pm

Post #22 of 60 (228 views)
Shortcut
*plugs kettle in, turns on* [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to use a stove-top kettle, then when my eldest went off to school in Edinburgh for a few years, she got me into using electric kettles. So much nicer!

Did you iron the frozen bedsheets? I wondered why my Mom ironed hers, and now realize it was probably to warm them up and get any moisture out of them.

The quilt sounds lovely (and intricate), congrats on finishing it! Will you be gifting it?

Someone told me that it's called COVID-19 because the 19 refers to the weight you gained during the lockdown! Tongue

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jul 11, 3:45pm

Post #23 of 60 (221 views)
Shortcut
Electric kettles are quick and convenient [In reply to] Can't Post

but gas as a fuel is cheaper - here, at least. It's a trade-off! My frozen sheets were cotton so I used to hang them over an airer to 'relax' before ironing. I do like ironing the bedding, though I know many folk who wouldn't consider it. There's something so relaxing about flopping on freshly ironed sheets! This quilt will stay with me; my daughter might admire it, but she wouldn't actually want it. If I ever make anything for her, it will be her choice of pattern and fabrics; she's very picky! (In a good way!)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 11, 4:56pm

Post #24 of 60 (214 views)
Shortcut
my mentor [In reply to] Can't Post

told me, when I first had the idea for my first book, that it would be like setting sail from a harbor. I might think I knew where I was going, but once I got out of the harbor I might find myself going in an entirely different direction! Good advice for any creative project.

Yes, I will be going back to Sleeping Lady, a resort on the east side of the Cascades, in September for five days. I'm thinking I'll schedule more time in the island cabin in November as well.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11, 11:58pm

Post #25 of 60 (181 views)
Shortcut
I didn't break any overalls :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember some decidedly crisp washing from my childhood, when winters were colder and we lived in a cooler part of the country, so had real frosts, not the light ones we get up here.

Those earlier clouds skirted us to the west, but much more solid ones moved in as we were leaving. Very fortunate that we'd made an early start!

I didn't see the owl at all, just walked straight past, but Mr Kimi somehow managed to notice it. The little ruru then sat obligingly for several seconds before deciding enough was enough and gliding silently off.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.