The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
[MUST WATCH] Footage from cancelled LotR Game

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 23 2020, 11:41pm

Post #1 of 7 (14979 views)
Shortcut
[MUST WATCH] Footage from cancelled LotR Game Can't Post

Here’s some rare footage from a Hobbit tie-in that later became Lego Lord of the Rings - https://youtu.be/grwnHJykybM

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 24 2020, 2:22pm

Post #2 of 7 (14915 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a shame that the game was never made.

#FidelityToTolkien

fantasywind
Rivendell

Jul 5 2020, 1:45pm

Post #3 of 7 (14282 views)
Shortcut
shame :( [In reply to] Can't Post

It sees it's another wasted opportunity, the graphics looks great to this day, this sort of game could have been one of the best movie tie ins ever. Living through the Hobbit film sequences would be interesting, (this was a model demo portraying how the gameplay could look like on example of Lotr). It seems Lotr in general has poor luck when it comes to video games, first EA in a true fashion of an evil corporation cancelled the White Council game project, which could have been first real open world RPG set in Middle-earth, and now this. It might be that the license for making video games based on Lotr franchise as a whole is in bad hands. What I wouldn't give to actually some day have true open world RPG which would respect the book lore and use it to it's full capacity. Something like Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls, or Gothic, or even Dragon Age (that style would be interesting having companions to play as in team :) something like DA Origins or Inquistion), OR if the AC formula is to be maintained, then do a game in style of AC Odyssey (naval combat would be enjoyable imagine sailing around on Great Sea of Belegaer and having sea battles with ships of Corsairs of Umbar and Haradrim vessels, hehe here the lore of Aragorn's adventures in his younger years could be used).

This tie in is of course just an interesting action game but it would be definitely a title that would be worth playing.

mwirkk
Rohan

Jul 29 2020, 11:27pm

Post #4 of 7 (13549 views)
Shortcut
Seems it's now "unavailable"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems it's now "unavailable" to us mere mortal men -- it's marked as private. :\ Perhaps to avoid being taken down?

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

(This post was edited by mwirkk on Jul 29 2020, 11:28pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 8 2020, 12:38am

Post #5 of 7 (12995 views)
Shortcut
Could be making a more in-depth video... [In reply to] Can't Post

He suggested doing a full play-through of each level, perhaps he’ll upload a more in-depth look soon.

Or maybe that video drew enough attention for a game studio to show interest? Wishful thinking but I would love to see it enter development.

Here’s another link https://youtu.be/PZZdzjxcUgI

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Aug 8 2020, 12:42am)

mwirkk
Rohan

Aug 8 2020, 9:22pm

Post #6 of 7 (12888 views)
Shortcut
Very impressive indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that link! I had never heard of this demo until seeing this thread here on TORn. It was indeed some very impressive footage. Especially for 2009!

Too bad folks at WB didn't have the foresight to push forward with that vision despite the challenges. All that work and expenditure put into it, and even going so far as to get the thumbs up in NZ.

Of course, if we will recall, he mentions that they went over there at the time when GdT was still onboard to direct. They were still having legal issues being worked out in the background that led to delays in production, and eventually also led to Guillermo's departure from the project -- he had other projects in the pipeline that had been put on hold and it got to the point he couldn't put them off any longer. The Hobbit movies themselves were even in some doubt for a time. I suspect that that may have also influenced WB's decision. And they had potentially competing projects in the works? (I'm not sure if I understood that correctly.)

Anyway, I still suspect that the original video has been made private for legal reasons, since in all likelihood that video footage is still WB property that hasn't been cleared for public release. Corporate legal departments can often be inconvenient that way. Especially of the person posting is still employed there and wants to remain so. :\ (Does anyone know who the designer narrating the video is?)

Thanks again for the posts folks! Very entertaining, and informative. :)

Kiitos! Cheers! Thx!
-Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)

(This post was edited by mwirkk on Aug 8 2020, 9:24pm)

mwirkk
Rohan

Aug 8 2020, 10:13pm

Post #7 of 7 (12875 views)
Shortcut
Ugh! Nevermind... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(Does anyone know who the designer narrating the video is?)

Ugh! Nevermind. If I would have just bothered to read the description of the 2nd post on YouTube I'd have answered my own question. :\

A: Jon Burton, founder of Traveller's Tales Games -- a WB subsidiary.

pax
-Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)

(This post was edited by mwirkk on Aug 8 2020, 10:27pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.