First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2020, 2:29am

Post #1 of 30 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! June 25 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope all is going swimmingly with you and yours. How are you doing on your Quest? Is there a master plan? A strategy? A gallant outcome? DO TELL!

I finally finished the cutting, stacking and cleanup of my tree adventure a couple of days ago. I was hoping to have some pics for you, but it will be another day or so. I'm sure you're in suspense in shaking with anticipation!!! ;) I'm back to my chimney resurfacing project that was so dramatically interrupted with that 70 mph breeze a couple of weeks ago.

Let us know how you're doing and what you're goals are... even if it's adding another mile or half hour to your routine walk/work/exercise.

Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I are STILL marching along the northern border of Mirkwood. The trees are all looking alike now... and the bugs... and the critters. But don't get us wrong! A lazy, easy, boring trip is just fine with us!!!! :D

Have a Great Week... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 1:49am

Post #2 of 30 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! July 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

WE MADE IT! We're halfway through the year 2020 and the 4th of July is just around the corner! It looks like there won't be many physical fireworks this year. At least here in Michigan. We're seeing 90+ degree weather all week (and all next week) with no rain. So the grass is crispy and the green stuff is crying for relief. Too dry for fireworks and too much for our Covid 19 reality... so next year will be a BLAST! :D Hopefully ;)

I hope you're having fun creating mileage challenges for yourself. You know you can be creative... it's not just about walking or running or *urp* cleaning. I was just thinking my pup Pickle would enjoy an obstacle course to help him burn off some of that very quick, tight energy and speed he has. He likes to run through his doggy door at top speed, tear across the room, rebound off the back of the couch sending him sailing back to the doggy door (still uninterrupted top speed) across the deck and out into his penned yard, BIG Ueee around the tree (like using the moon or sun for slingshot) and racing back to the doggy door to repeat, repeat, repeat his Quest. Trust me. Dogs DO smile! That little guy is having a ball!

So... an obstacle course that I could pretend to run alongside and "keep up" with him. *tests reality* Well... I do, in fact, like fantasy stories... so why not? ;) I'll be done resurfacing my chimney in a few days, so I'll need another distraction to avoid *urp* cleaning.

What would you do if you could create a unique activity to feed your Quest? That's the beauty of our Walk... you can do anything you want to gather up your miles and follow Tolkien's characters as they walk across Middle-earth. DO TELL! How are you doing?

Meanwhile (speaking of Middle-earth), Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I have FINALLY turned south and are starting to follow the edge of Mirkwood's West border on the last leg of our journey to Beorn's home for the rest of the Winter. *sigh* I can feel my toes getting warm at the fire in a comfy chair already!

Take care... have a great and safe holiday weekend... and see you on the Road!

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 4 2020, 1:12am

Post #3 of 30 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul: "The dogs howl and the geese scream at them." [In reply to] Can't Post

I will thank the wild geese for keeping my local park Nazgul-free. Walking-wise, I'm still in the Old Forest since I've fallen out of my routine of walking everyday for no good reason. But I've walked the last 2 days with renewed resolve, and the kayak rental shop on the river just reopened, so if I start kayaking again, I'll count kayak leagues and miles toward my walking goals, or maybe I'll save them for my later trip down the Anduin.

These feathery folks are "wild" yet accustomed enough to people walking by that they don't even worry about people photographing their children. I might play a "Twilight Zone" trick on them and offer them a book titled "To Serve Geese" and see if they can translate it. *cue evil laughter*

As usual, I saw the goose and duck families about while the swans were abundant but have sent their children to summer camp. One of these days...

Otherwise, we've been having iillegal fireworks every night in Boston since about June 1, and apparently it's happening all over the country. No idea why, and I don't think they're all that cheap to buy, the ones that zoom up in the sky and look like exploding flowers. No idea when they'll stop, either. However, they don't bother me, maybe because I live be a fire station and hear sirens all day and night, so what's an explosion or two?

Gramma, I hope Pickle is howling at Nazgul as he does his racing track thing and keeps you as Nazgul-free as I am.

In Reply To
What would you do if you could create a unique activity to feed your Quest?

It's dangerous asking such questions when you have a geek like me around. Having worked for a business school for 10 years, one of my mental activities while walking is wondering how businesses I walk past stay in business in our current times. All of the mom & pop cafes I walk past have stayed open, relying on cheap food and carryout orders. I think fancier restaurants that rely on appetizers, drinks, desserts, etc have had it harder, and I know there are some top notch places in Boston that have shut down for good. I think this is a rare time where the proverbial Little Guy is better suited to survive since they always relied on carryout orders and don't have liquor licenses.

But if that dry-as-dirt activity doesn't put you to sleep, I also look at every plant, bush, and flower and wish I could remember their names like Tolkien and some other authors like Richard Adams could--I just can't keep many names in my head. If I were to write a story where the flora were important, I think it would go like this: "Frodo and Sam lay in the soft, luxuriant grass of Ithilien, known as green grass. They marveled at the yellow dandelions, and the sight of other flowers...uh, dandelions,... brought cheer to their hearts. Sam ran through recipes for rabbit stew in his mind, given the great variety of things growing in Ithilien, such as dandelions...and, uh, dandelions...and Gollum showed up by surprise with a handful of...well, probably dandelions..." Yeah, I'm that bad.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jul 4 2020, 1:17am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 2:43am

Post #4 of 30 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Dandelion salad! [In reply to] Can't Post

Goes very well with rabbit stew...

I know what you mean about wishing we could recall names of non-common flowers and plants. My house plants are the pink one, the thin leafy one, the one with occasional little yellow flowers, the one that needs a ton of water every two days, etc. Maybe I should name them Shirley, George, etc.

The complaints about fireworks are everywhere! Some small ones are legal here, and vendors say they're flying off the shelves. Tomorrow will be a very noisy night. The poor dogs - and some local Veterans have started complaining, as well! Unsure

Kayaking on the Charles? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAt-SPosWs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2020, 12:55pm

Post #5 of 30 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Duck, duck, goose! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Frodo and Sam lay in the soft, luxuriant grass of Ithilien, known as green grass. They marveled at the yellow dandelions, and the sight of other flowers...uh, dandelions,... brought cheer to their hearts. Sam ran through recipes for rabbit stew in his mind, given the great variety of things growing in Ithilien, such as dandelions...and, uh, dandelions...and Gollum showed up by surprise with a handful of...well, probably dandelions..."

*applause* I love it!! :D I know dandelions! I like it when they turn into fairy flyers (childhood thing ;) I'm horrible at remembering the names, too. But I love 'em! What are usually called WEEDS are so pretty to me. I'm very lucky not to have allergies with such things... especially since I live in the country where I'm surrounded by all sorts of plant life.

Kayaking is a great way to gather mileage! And you go ahead and apply those miles anyway you like. Even split it up if you start getting a lot in, cuz you're also getting mileage in just walking to them :) *high five*

Geese are mighty warriors. When I was about 9yo, our school group went to the Henry Ford Museum and the grounds/park surrounding it. There was a pond with geese all around. A bunch of us were standing watching them when one decided he didn't like me and ran at me biting my legs! In those days, girls wore skirts, so I got pretty chewed up! Ever since then, I've had a healthy respect for their territory!

Have a great week! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 4 2020, 4:45pm

Post #6 of 30 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Haha, yes, dirty water indeed! I'm terrified of touching it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel akin to the lake before the Hollin-gate in Bored of the Rings:

...a pond whose surface was covered with a thick oil slick. As they watched, a great, heavy-winged water bird landed in the foul water with a soft plop and dissolved.

Yes, dissolved! That's how toxic the river seems. However, I get minimally wet and wash thoroughly afterwards, so I haven't dissolved yet, or turned into a mutant zombie, or coughed up tentacles from the Creature from the Black Lagoon, so so far, so good.

I'm with you on the plants' names. The big flower thing, the cool flower that looks like a display of Fibonacci sequences, the little flowers that grow all clumped together, the kind that need lots of water or they die easily, etc.

Odd thing about fireworks is that they don't seem tied to any sort of political movement or anything, yet seem coordinated nationwide. I know they can literally drive dogs crazy, so that is a concern, and yeah, triggering veterans is the last thing anyone should want.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 4 2020, 4:52pm

Post #7 of 30 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Dandelions and fun [In reply to] Can't Post

It was when the lockdown was really wearing people down, and I went to the park across the street for some fresh air. There was a stressed-out mom, like everyone, with her little boy who was kicking one feathery dandelion head after another to scatter the seed parachutes in the air, squealing with delight each time. I remember he was blissfully unaware of infection rates and grim daily news, just having fun making things fly. So weeds to some, entertainment to others.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2020, 4:20am

Post #8 of 30 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're doing well and have some exciting mileage collecting going on :D Although some good, steady mileage on the less dramatic side is nothing to sneeze at, thag you very buch! The whole idea is to just keep moving. So how are you doing? Do Tell!

I'm very sad this week, to be honest. I finished my chimney resurfacing... except for some touching up. I finally had to rent a 28 foot ladder to get to the tippity-top. I had to move fast to drive into town and get the ladder, set it up (big!) finish the last 10 rows of bricks and get the ladder back by 11am. I've been dancing around the average of 98 degree weather for the past 10 days, so starting early (7-11am) and then working 8-10pm helps avoid the sun/heat.

*sigh*

So now I have to move inside and begin the major clean-out clean-up that's been calling to me for months. It's like entering the Dead Marshes. Many dangerous distractions under the surface that will suck me down and drag this thing on forever! But... I'll get through it! I can do this! Uhh... but if you don't hear from me next week, send help!

Meanwhile back in Middle-earth, Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I are still heading south on the western edge of Mirkwood on our way to Beorn's home. FINALLY!

*waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 17 2020, 5:03am

Post #9 of 30 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you notice we're already halfway through July? JULY! This year really is flying by!

How are you coming along on your Quest? Too hot out? Too cold? Too too?! It's been too too around here, but I'm still moving forward. I've been doing a lot of clea... clea... *urp* cleaning. Moving stuff to the basement and rearranging as I go. Have you ever noticed how one job becomes several?

So what are you up to for mile accumulating? Are you following any of the Fellowship/Hobbit charts? If you ever want help figuring out where you are, feel free to pm me and we'll get it sorted out. For me, that's the fun part :D Instead of Where's Waldo, it's Where's gramma? Wandering in the Wild once again :D

Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I aren't lost. We're still heading South on our way to Beorn's home. I can't wait to finally handle the latch of a door, walk in and feel like ducking because of the ceiling over my head. Then there's the thought of a soft chair in front of a friendly fire. And FOOD! On a PLATE! At a TABLE! I remember those :D

*waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 17 2020, 5:05am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 21 2020, 7:44pm

Post #10 of 30 (1508 views)
Shortcut
"Hop along my hearties!...We are fond of parties." [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I finally reached Bombadil's house. The chart says I get to spend an extra day here due to the rain, but Boston is just blazing sun these days, so if I find a magic ring in my trekking, I'll use it to bring on some rain and forget about invisbility. Since I sadly grew to resemble Fatty Bolger during quarantine, I'm trying to walk extra to get off those pounds/kilos/stones. Going to the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston is about 5 miles round trip, so that's a good walk. I forgot to take a photo of a beautiful willow that I walk past (which makes me uncannily sleepy), but here are some sunny harbor photos from today.

I thought the Bunker Hill Monument had an Orthanc-look to it today. What's really at the top of it, anyway? Maybe's it's Barad-dur and contains a Lidless Eye? But if it's evil, the tourists are unperturbed.

Then I decided the ship I saw wasn't the USS Constitution but instead a relic from the fleet of Ar-Pharazon. Since Tolkien didn't specifically say that it did *not* have cannons, I'll just say it did and win the argument frivolously.

Happy walking, and good luck with your cleaning project, Gramma!

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jul 21 2020, 7:46pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 22 2020, 11:42am

Post #11 of 30 (1495 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping!* Awesome! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh Geez! I love those pics and your description! Welcome to Bombadil's!!! Finally out of the Forest. I laughed when I was reading about the willow when I anticipated you saying the willow walked past You! :D

It's nasty that you have the high temps. I hope you're able to walk early or late in the day when it's more tolerable. Oh man... these pics are so great :D I really do think I can see a bit of a red glow coming from the top of the tower!! *squints at screen* And re: the USS Constitution... argument settled!!

Well done on attacking the shadow world of quarantine spread. *hand shoots up* I spend a lot of time on that battleground, too! HANG IN THERE and enjoy your well-earned visit with those happy people and healing home. You've earned it!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2020, 12:30pm

Post #12 of 30 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, and yes, they are squinty photos, alas [In reply to] Can't Post

My phone's photos are generally 1.5 to 2.0 MB in size, so getting them down to TORN's 50 kb is tough, but I think it's better to have a photo in a post than just a link to Imgur. I think I need to try out different photo resizers that give more options. I used to use the one Magpie posted, then migrated to Irfanview, then Paint 3D, then regular MS Paint. But as I say, I really need to experiment more. I'll never be a Photoshop guy--too much to learn, and editing photos isn't a hobby for me so not worth the price, but there must be programs more in the middle.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2020, 8:51pm

Post #13 of 30 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Why does this Corsair of Umbar get so sleepy under that willow? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that's me under all that Corsair gear, ready to raid Gondor if that willow behind me stops with the sleepy stuff. Next time I'll remember a skull & crossbones mask. That UB cap is for "Univ. of Barad-Dur."

Today was a great day to be kayaking in Boston (nice birds and trees, disgusting river water), so I'm counting this toward my trip down the Anduin. And I gave up on resizing it (tried FastStone this time).

I also saw some baby ducklings, which was a surprise on July 22--I thought hatching season was way past, and they were tiny: nearly egg-sized, but fully able to swim behind mama and peck at things in the water. 2020 is an odd year in so many ways.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 23 2020, 5:44pm

Post #14 of 30 (1456 views)
Shortcut
You're lucky. [In reply to] Can't Post

My early morning walk surprise was..................................................... a skunk! That was Tuesday, and I was still jumpy until late in my walk this morning. I might also have still been a little sore from running faster than Usain Bolt to avoid an even closer encounter with Mr. Le Pew.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 24 2020, 12:32am

Post #15 of 30 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you escaped without the cologne! We had skunks where I grew up; it took me days and many showers to recover once when my dog decided to "protect" me with a pre-emptive strike.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2020, 12:37am

Post #16 of 30 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Lookit you!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

There's even a broken tree leaning out over the water like Frodo sat on before falling in ;) *waves* HOWDY! :D

I hear ya on struggling with getting the pictures edited and posted. But this is really great! And keep an eye open behind you on that water. You might have a line of little ducklings paddling quick to keep up ;) Great Anduin miles!! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2020, 12:46am

Post #17 of 30 (1444 views)
Shortcut
HI! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

OH NO! I'll bet you haven't moved that fast in years! I'm so sorry you got so close. Is your foot feeling better... and your poor nerves? You'll always look twice at that spot from now on I'll bet ;) *hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2020, 1:12am

Post #18 of 30 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're all enjoying good health and easy days. I'm noticing the days here in Michigan are starting to shorten as we slide away from the Summer Solstice last month. Are you keeping busy? Have you got a plan and a goal to reach? Even the simplest target can give the simplest activity more meaning. I'm having trouble applying that to house cleaning *twitch*, but I know I'll be happy with the outcome... so anything to help me keep at it is welcome ;)
So do tell on what you're up to and if you have a goal you're aiming at. Watch out for sneaky Willows and waylaying Wild Beasts!
Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I are STILL hiking towards Beorn's home! This trip is taking FOREVER! But I think we're getting close.

Have a great week! See you on the Road :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 7 2020, 1:33am

Post #19 of 30 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're enjoying your August so far :) I was out of town for a goodly part of last week/weekend moving lots of furniture, boxes, foodstuff and whatnots. Those whatnots were a challenge, I'm telling you! If you ever need a small storage container (5ft x 8ft x 7.5ft) for a short period of time, U-Haul has what they call a U-Box that you can either leave on their lot and fill with your items OR they'll put it on a trailer for you to take with you. Either way, you can leave it with them and they'll put it into a secure garage on their lot until you need it. You've got it for a month. VERY HANDY!!!

What have you been up to this past week and currently? Are you having fun? You gotta have fun!!! That's a must :) Please let us know what you're up to. I'm up to about 5'2"... though I tend to shrink during the day.

GUESS WHAT!? Bilbo, Beorn, Gandalf and I have FINALLY put Mirkwood behind us and are moving toward Beorn's home. While we'd like to just haul it and make straight for it, we agreed that we should give the horses a rest and start out early. Good Plan! Sort-of ;) Now I'm getting massively anxious for this to be over! PUT THE KETTLE ON!

*waves fondly* See you on the Road! Stay Safe!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 7 2020, 1:36am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 13 2020, 1:01pm

Post #20 of 30 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! August 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to mid-August... already! I hope you've enjoyed your season (Winter/Summer) so far and have had chances for adventures or rest during this incredible isolation-themed reality we've been enduring.

So what have you been up to for accumulating your Walk Mileage? I hope whatever it is, you are enjoying yourself or at least feeling like you're accomplishing your goals. DO TELL!

I'm still *sigh* doing some cleaning when the day gets too hot out for playing outside; but I have been hauling some more wheelbarrows of dirt to fix the road-edge of my yard. When the county road-grating trucks come flying by to level-out the potholes on the dirt road, they tend to rip out the edge of my lawn so I'm mowing rocks instead of grass. Enough grass and weeds still grow out of the TORn-up edge, so I'm going to see if I can fix that. More grass-seeding and watering, but less wrestling with uneven rocky mowing and blade damage.

Bilbo, Gandalf and I have set out for Beorn's again in these last days of our Walk; but Beorn has wandered off again. Although we have seen a great bear not far off following us in the fields... these same field that bring us to Beorn's fenced lands. *twitch* This anticipation is so spooky and so exciting :D

*waves fondly* See you on the Road! Stay Safe!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 13 2020, 4:43pm

Post #21 of 30 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Been asleep in some Barrow Downs since last checked in [In reply to] Can't Post

but according to the charts, Tom B. is saying goodbye to me and my imaginary hobbit companions on the Road, so next we're headed to Bree, and please don't ask about us running naked on the grass after our rescue.

As I'm always trying to vary my walking areas, I'm now going by Prospect Hill, an American surveillance post since the 1770s, but the tower was built in 1903, so it's a bit deceptive about its age. It gives a great view of the Boston area.

Happy walking, fellow travelers.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 14 2020, 8:26pm

Post #22 of 30 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Neat Tower and View!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ooooooo.... aaaahhhhhhh! Any time you spend with Tom is surreal and instantly snaps you into another world, imho. So to have him ride off and face the RL is a bit of an adjustment. And no... any romping in the Downs STAYS in the Downs!!

What a WONDER-FULL walk you have... especially great with a tower to include! I have to climb on the roof of my ranch-style house to get up to about 17-20 feet. I'll bet that view is astounding in the fall colours!

Well done on you progress! I think you've earned that beer waiting for you at the Pony. *high five* Beware of anyone you see dressed all in black!

See you on the Road! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 20 2020, 11:24pm

Post #23 of 30 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're doing well and enjoying some more moderate weather than many of us have had lately. I haven't made out too badly; but many I know have really been challenged.

How are you coming along on your Quest? What's your favourite way to accumulate your mileage? I still spend time on the treadmill... watching the news and other regular programs I enjoy; but I really do prefer to get out side and finish up some of my long-time projects.

I have a very TORn-up & neglected raised daylily garden along my garage that I have to weed some Black Walnut Tree seedlings from... about 17 ft long and 3 ft wide. At the head of it (next to the garage door) is a large sandy area (about 10 ft diameter) where I'm putting in a hobbit hole environ. The face of it will be about 2 1/2 ft high and 10 feet long. LOTS of weeds and large rocks to move around, but I started it last fall... so I hope I can finish it over the next month or so. I've got the basic wall/foundation in, but I'm still designing the look. We'll see :)

Do you have any projects you'd still like to get done before the cooler (or warmer) weather moves in? Do Tell!

Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still playing hide n' seek with Beorn's bear-appearance while we're on the final miles of our travel to his home. It's cold out, and we covered about 22 miles; but I'm still getting antsy to have this over!

Take care... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 22 2020, 1:47pm

Post #24 of 30 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Those are some long, fat seedlings! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to weed some Black Walnut Tree seedlings from... about 17 ft long and 3 ft wide. :)

Your hobbit hole environ sounds fun and interesting. If it looks too real, I wonder if a sneaky wizard will scratch a burglar sign into the paint? Then you'll be inundated with guests and quests, but I guess if it all ends with a nice bunch of gold and a new ring, it will be worthwhile. Looking forward to some photos of the finished work! Does Boodawg End come with an onsite Gamgee gardener family to help with the rocks?

I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but I'm seeing a few leaves turning yellow here. Growing up in lower latitudes, I'll never get used to how short summers are in New England (it's still freaking August!), but on the plus side, I don't need AC every day, and having my windows open during the day to let a fresh breeze in puts me in a good state of mind. Checking my hometown's weather in Colorado, they've had about 2 weeks solid of 100 F heat which my relatives aren't happy about, and growing up there, it was a big deal when the temp reached 100 in the summer, and then it would only be for a day, and we'd all talk about it. Climate change predictions used to say things like, "By 2050, the weather will be like...," but it's not in the future, it's right now.

My walking slowed down a bit when a wave of humidity hit us, but I'm about to set out for my morning walk, and I expect to: "Reach Bree. Stay at The Prancing Pony. Meet Strider. Ponies stolen during night." I don't own any ponies, so I'll just warn any pony-owners to beware.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 23 2020, 2:29pm

Post #25 of 30 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Bree! What a hub of fun ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on reaching The Pony and the chance to mingle with the locals (and Fellow Travellers ;)

Hey! Those seeds/seedlings ARE monstrous! Black Walnuts grow like weeds in my yard. They are everywhere! Very hard on lawnmowers when you don't scoop up all the walnuts on the ground. Like mowing over a stinky golf ball!

The leaves ARE falling already! I have a Japanese Red Maple tree that is already almost done changing over to fiery-red, and the Box Elders are dropping their leaves. WAY WAY too early! This action usually happens in mid-Sept. The crops around me are really struggling. *sigh* I hope things can turn around over the next few years.

I'd love it if a Gamgee would show up! Especially if they had a bag of tater-starters! *slaver slurp*

I hope the humidity calmed down so you can enjoy some long walks. Although, hanging out in Bree might not be a bad idea ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.