Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*RINGS BELL!! THROWS OPEN DOOR!* It's time for a 4th of July FIESTA!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 3:59pm

Post #1 of 25 (460 views)
Shortcut
*RINGS BELL!! THROWS OPEN DOOR!* It's time for a 4th of July FIESTA! Can't Post

Welcome to the 4th's Fiesta Friday (a day early ;)!

Whilst our Lovely Altaira is busy with RL demands, I've grabbed the keys and grill for a special 4th of July BBQ! There are plenty of goodies and drinks to choose from, but I stand ready to deliver any beverage of your choice :D

If you have special plans for your holiday weekend, do tell! With the many restrictions we're honouring, I love some of the innovative ways family and friends can still share the time together.

Enjoy, stay safe, and may the 4th be with you! *returns to polishing glasses*

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 3 2020, 4:05pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 4:26pm

Post #2 of 25 (435 views)
Shortcut
no plans [In reply to] Can't Post

Our town's forbidden fireworks and since my family is actually planning a ROAD TRIP (!) in a couple of weeks, no one seems interested in doing anything this weekend. Also, summer has yet to arrive here, it's going to be cool, so not so enticing to do a backyard gathering. I'll probably be working away on a presentation I'm giving at the end of the month at a conference which is going to be entirely online. I'm sad that I won't be able to hobnob with my colleagues, but at least we'll get to "see" each other.

I'll indulge in some lemonade and potato chips, though!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 25 (436 views)
Shortcut
A quiet weekend? Sounds good to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think saving up the trip and togetherness for the planned gathering is a good idea :D Things seem to be getting a bit more iffy out there, so taking it easy is wise.

A Conference! :D Doing these things online is getting old, fersher. But I'm glad there's that alternative and everyone won't be missing out altogether. Maybe this time next year the conferences will be a merry moot once again!

Have a great weekend, though. Mine is quiet, too; but I have some ribs defrosting and am eyeing the strawberries destined for the angel food cake on the counter. TAKE CARE!

sample

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 3 2020, 4:38pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2020, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 25 (433 views)
Shortcut
Happy 4th, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, what a spread - since it's calorie-free, I'd like a hot dog with the works, and a tall strawberry cooler, please! Laugh

My husband, son, and I are "Terraforming Mars" right now (I drew a Martian Zoo which I can add "pets" to!), so I'll have to head back. Thunderstorms here soon, but tomorrow should be a lovely day to enjoy the outdoors (and listen to fireworks being set off).

Have you finished all the tree-removal, gramma?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 25 (433 views)
Shortcut
Mars Attack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Grab the one you like and take the rest back to the others. That Martian Zoo sounds like fun! Perfect for a stormy day.

I finally have the trees cleared out (for the most part) and am working on some pictures. My photobucket isn't cooperating, so it's become a battle of wills!

Have a GREAT weekend, m'dear!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 3 2020, 8:01pm

Post #6 of 25 (420 views)
Shortcut
Happy 4th July to anyone who's celebrating it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The date will be marked here by the re-opening of pubs, restaurants, cafes etc - with appropriate precautions in place of course! - so there'll be a party atmosphere in some places, and probably a few sore heads on Sunday morning.... I'm steering well clear of it all until things calm down a bit! However, an authentic hot dog with the trimmings (which I don't believe I've ever had!) would be a treat. Not much going on here, apart from unarmed combat with the patchwork - I've SO gone off machine quilting! - but visits to other households (inside the house, not just in the garden) will be allowed from Monday. I'll be able to sit at my daughter's and have a cup of tea and watch the boys playing even if it's raining, which will be lovely.
Have a good weekend, all of you - cheers!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 8:25pm

Post #7 of 25 (419 views)
Shortcut
Freedom is a sweet thing :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh GH... that will be so nice for you to finally get to go and hang out with your g'sons and daughter! You've been so patient :D Just knowing you can go the restaurants when you want is a relief. I'd be like you, though, and not be in a big hurry to go when you know it's going to be crowded.

Now... for a REAL hotdog! *rubs hands together*. You're in for a treat, but there are a lot of choices. Grilled or boiled? Toppings? Condiments? My absolute favourite is a quality hotdog with the casing on so it snaps when you bite into it! And it's gotta be grilled or cooked on a stick/skewer over an open flame. I only put on ketsup, mustard, onions, and sweet relish. Now... can you tell I've been on a diet... for like EVER!?!

Of course you've had hotdogs and know your way around one with no problem. You just gave me an excuse to drool onto my keyboard. ;)

Have a wonderful time with your peeps and meal! *big hug*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2020, 9:08pm

Post #8 of 25 (413 views)
Shortcut
Mmm, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

We just ended the game (it takes us two oldsters a bit longer than the younger gens to play complex games - we take a lot longer to think about strategies). But I did collect 19 animals in my zoo (once each round, I could "sell tickets to see them" to get extra money).

I look forward to seeing the "before" and "after" pics of your yard!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2020, 9:12pm

Post #9 of 25 (414 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

To finally be able to go inside one another's houses to visit, it's a joyous occasion! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2020, 9:14pm

Post #10 of 25 (414 views)
Shortcut
A road trip? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who all, and where to? Is there any chance you can get up into Canada?

By the way, how's your Dad been doing?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2020, 10:48pm

Post #11 of 25 (405 views)
Shortcut
Winter properly hit this week [In reply to] Can't Post

with good snowfall and clear night skies, prompting me to nest in front of my gas fire every evening. I've currently got a big pot of chicken and vegetable soup cooking away - that'll do nicely on the cold nights. :)

Also, now that I'm back into the swing of things at work and my home office is all mine again, I've started writing the sequel to my first novel. It's taken a while to get the story together in my head but it feels great to start pulling all the threads together and getting it down on paper. Or the computer version of 'paper'.

Funnily enough, even though our daily lives have been almost normal for a few weeks now in NZ, I'm having a video catch-up with friends later this afternoon. We live in four different cities and we had a few Zoom gatherings during lockdown, and we're trying to keep it going. My greatest lesson from lockdown was to not take for granted that I will always be able to be in contact with the people I care about.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone - and happy 4th of July to US TORNsibs! Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2020, 11:38pm

Post #12 of 25 (398 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmmm Chicken Veggie Soup! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's some garlic toast to go with the soup and a hot chocolate to accent your coziness :D What a great night!

I'm so glad your friends and you are going to keep your mooting alive. The isolation has been very hard, but so much good has come from it, too. Like this :) I'm glad getting back into the routine is getting easier.

And WOW on getting back into your book sequel!

*tosses confetti* WELL DONE! I think having the isolation quiet time also gave your brain and inspiration a bit of a break so it can pull this all together easier.

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2020, 11:54pm

Post #13 of 25 (401 views)
Shortcut
Happy 4th of July to those celebrating! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's already the 4th here :)

It's been quite a pleasant week here. After a productive few days, we took yesterday off and went for a good, long walk in the park - one of teh regional parks, near a harbour. A sunny winter's day was just right for this small adventure, especially since we had the whole place almost to ourselves, only sharing it with a few rangers and one trail runner. A good, solid 10 km walk up and down hills, then we finished the day with fish and chips at an old-fashioned general store (6 generations in the same family so far). Fresh fish from the harbour - yum!

The harbour looking lovely.

Today I'm making Mr Kimi's favourite cake - carrot - as it's his birthday tomorrow. His mother hoped he'd be born on the 4th, but he ended up arriving in the early hours of the 5th. As we're a day ahead of the US, he always chooses to believe all those fireworks are in his honour :)

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend,

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 12:00am

Post #14 of 25 (397 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sequel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your muse is cooperating well.

Today is so chilly here, too! We've had the fire on from first thing, rather than waiting till early evening. Every time I go outside it's a shock to the system.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 12:14am

Post #15 of 25 (394 views)
Shortcut
That sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Chicken veggie soup on the hob - the aroma alone is soul-lifting!

What fun to get started on the sequel - it's so great to feel that inspiration bubbling within yourself. Cool

You're right, that's one of the biggest things we have all learned from this pandemic: never take anything for granted, especially those we love.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 12:18am

Post #16 of 25 (395 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday to Mr. Kimi! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like carrot cake is becoming more and more popular. Cream cheese frosting?

That was an energetic walk you took - but good for a cold day! Was it a trail with several places to stop and enjoy the view?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2020, 1:32am

Post #17 of 25 (391 views)
Shortcut
Happy Carrot Cake Day Mr. Kimi! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course the fireworks are totally about our Great Mr. Kimi! Happy b'day Sir!

Oh man, I love that walk! The harbor is incredible... a soul-soothing visit with beauty and calm. *sigh* Followed up with food? Perfection :D

I hope you have a wonderful weekend... and give Mr. a huggles for me!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 4 2020, 1:35am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 1:48am

Post #18 of 25 (387 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll pass on your greetings. Cream cheese frosting with lemon, orange and lots of passionfruit :)

Yes, some great spots to admire the view. It starts fairly high up, goes down to sea level (where there's a handy picnic table), then up to a ridge with lots of nice views. There are two pa sites (old Maori fortifications) on the most elevated sections, and what was once a waka (canoe) portage way alongside what is now the park.

Absolutely perfect weather for a good, long walk! Last time we went there (some years ago) was in summer, and it was much too hot for comfort, especially as there's very little cover. We've learned our lesson!

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 1:49am

Post #19 of 25 (388 views)
Shortcut
Will do! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the fireworks and greetings :)

It was a lovely, soothing walk, especially having the whole park almost to ourselves. The harbour sparkling in the sunlight was magical.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 4 2020, 1:55am

Post #20 of 25 (385 views)
Shortcut
Wow. You captured the sun as it was kindling the water surface like fire. Wonderful shot. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 2:18am

Post #21 of 25 (385 views)
Shortcut
The light on the water [In reply to] Can't Post

was particularly striking. I wasn't sure if a photograph would capture it, so was pleased at how it turned out!

Thank you :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 4 2020, 8:10am

Post #22 of 25 (367 views)
Shortcut
Definitely looking forward [In reply to] Can't Post

to spending more time with family. Pubs and restaurants can wait! The English hot dogs I've encountered - admittedly mostly at school fairs etc - have been deeply underwhelming - flabby things in flabby rolls dressed with flabby onions with a squirt of runny mustard or ketchup. I can't recall having been offered sweet relish. Your descriptions sound delicious and far superior!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 4 2020, 8:11am

Post #23 of 25 (365 views)
Shortcut
It is! We used to take it for granted [In reply to] Can't Post

but now it seems so special. There's a lesson there somewhere...

Annael
Immortal

Jul 4 2020, 2:43pm

Post #24 of 25 (346 views)
Shortcut
Canada won't let us in [In reply to] Can't Post

border is closed.

We're just going over the mountains to the tourist trap - er, lovely Bavarian village of Leavenworth. A friend gave us timeshare points so we have three units in a hotel overlooking the river. They've blocked traffic from using the main street in front of the shops & instead of have put up tables there, so you can take out from any of the restaurants and eat outdoors. We'll do some gentle hikes, scenic drives (just driving there is pretty), and possibly a bit of wine tasting. Pick up some fresh fruit for home as well.

https://leavenworth.org/

Dad is doing pretty well - amazing for 96. He has a cognitive deficit after a couple of falls in which he hit his head, so doesn't recognize things right in front of him - yesterday he couldn't find the TV remote on the coffee table, for instance - and that's frustrating for him. But he guesses correctly on Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, often well before the contestants, so still has his marbles. Keeping him exercising is a bit of a challenge.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2020, 4:31pm

Post #25 of 25 (334 views)
Shortcut
I had wondered [In reply to] Can't Post

if the border was closed, in that area, it seems so built-up between there and Seattle.

Heh, tourist trap! Looks like a very pleasant one, though, and they appear fully ready for social-distance "touristing". Smile

Glad to know your Dad's memory and cognitive skills are still sharp, it's amazing how many decades those two game shows have endured. Having a couple of falls is scary, one always worries about things like getting a broken hip; that's weird about what seems to be a visual recognition problem, here's hoping he doesn't fall again! Does he have problems just walking around?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.