The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did GDT ever watch The Hobbit?

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 18 2020, 12:43pm

Post #1 of 7 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Did GDT ever watch The Hobbit? Can't Post

"...I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product..."http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/
Did GDT ever comment on the "finished product"?

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Jun 18 2020, 1:59pm

Post #2 of 7 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like I remember seeing an interview clip of him where he compared his experience on the Hobbit to getting a divorce, which made him never want to think about it.

I know it was from the Lindsay Ellis YouTube videos– wouldn't know where the original source is.

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 18 2020, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 7 (3592 views)
Shortcut
I've seen that video you are talking about.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I stumbled upon this "I will be first in line to see the finished product". So he changed his mind obviously.His thoughts would be interesting. And to know more about what he had planned. He worked on it for a few years!

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Jun 18 2020, 2:04pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Jun 18 2020, 2:21pm

Post #4 of 7 (3595 views)
Shortcut
He definitely changed his mind [In reply to] Can't Post

But before I know what the dates are, it's hard to say if the narrative is "I said this for publicity and my heart hardened because I didn't want to leave the project" or "I feel bad about leaving this project but in a lil while I'll definitely want to see what PJ and co come up with!"

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 29 2020, 3:06pm

Post #5 of 7 (3204 views)
Shortcut
That's what GDT said about The Hobbit in 2015... [In reply to] Can't Post

It starts at 7:55 Min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5xLDsNcGI
“No, I didn’t see them [‘The Hobbit’ films], because I knew someone would ask me this,” explains Del Toro in our exclusive interview below.
“And there’s no possible great answer because I’m not objective. I’m the only person in the world that is not objective because I worked on them for so long. So I made the very Solomonic decision [that] I won’t see them, so that nobody can ask me if I like them or not.”https://tom-i-butler.tumblr.com/...ver-watch-the-hobbit

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Jun 29 2020, 3:15pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 16 2020, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 7 (2326 views)
Shortcut
My memory is a little hazy, but - [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall that in the late winter/early spring, after Crimson Peak's release (so early 2016), GDT and Peter Jackson finally got together for a private screening of The Hobbit. That tidbit was a footnote to a different conversation, and didn't generate any press. But now I'm wondering if this is just some nerd daydream from days gone by, that morphed into a fragment of a memory of something that never actually occurred?

When you consider the sheer madness (for lack of any better word) of the Hobbit production--the expectations placed on the production alone, the challenges it faced, and the heartbreak GDT endured when he had to leave--it is no wonder he just wanted to put it all behind him. Guillermo is an outstanding individual, one of the finest people I have ever met; it is both pragmatic and honourable that he would not want to put himself in a position where he might have to state an opinion about the Hobbit Trilogy. And how could he ever look at the finished product without the risk of feeling the regret of what might have been (all over again)? That feeling is harsh, because ultimately, it often feels like you're dishonouring the good things that happened since. The symbolism of missing "At the Mountains of Madness" but then making some great films, including another Oscar winner, is not lost in this regard.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 16 2020, 4:39pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

Aug 17 2020, 9:42am

Post #7 of 7 (2260 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember something about that too, but I don't know if that meeting ever happened.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.