Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Puts out Welcome sign* It's time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 74 (476 views)
Shortcut
*Puts out Welcome sign* It's time for Fiesta! Can't Post

Greetings, friends, and welcome to a late-Spring early-Summer Fiesta!

Here in sunny Colorado we lived through the second weekend of our garage/estate sale and actually did pretty well. More to go, and lots of cleaning and wrangling of contractors and materials to do, but getting more things cleared out is a good step in the right direction to getting our old family home sold. We also watched the Endeavor take-off and docking. Amazing, amazing stuff!

What did you do this past week and/or what do you have planned for this weekend? Here's hoping our U.S. sibs are safely away from the current turmoil. Frown

Smaug fired up the BBQ about an hour ago (literally Laugh), so the buffet is well-stocked with shrimp, burgers, steaks and roasted veggies. There's also a yummy assortment of seasonal fruits, salads, and desserts, including a trifle, of course - my fav summer dessert!

For your amusement today, check out the Youtube video of the recent LOTR reunion! They still know their lines! LaughHeart

*kicks juke box* "Summer Nights" from Grease starts to play.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 5, 4:08pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 74 (400 views)
Shortcut
*geeky tears* There they are!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 74 (398 views)
Shortcut
Trifle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, might I have some, please! Are there fresh strawberries in it?

So glad to hear that the sales are going well! Cleaning out a house is not easy - it's amazing how much "stuff" we can collect!

I loved that cast reunion! It was so much fun seeing them all together. There's still a "fellowship" among them. Cool

The azaleas and rhododendron are blooming like crazy here! We have very acidic soil, so I've just planted some hostas with a variety of leaf-markings around my mailbox. What's blooming in your area, Altaira?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 74 (400 views)
Shortcut
Have you watched it yet, gramma? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wonderful - in fact, you'll need to see it twice, I think, to catch everything! (I kept pausing it...)

Cool

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 4:47pm

Post #5 of 74 (397 views)
Shortcut
You can tell they're all still good friends [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only watched one of the highlights videos so far, but it's wonderful. Will watch the whole thing this weekend. Enjoy, gramma! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 4:48pm

Post #6 of 74 (397 views)
Shortcut
Uhhhh... you've been peeking! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too boggled to comprehend what was happening! So yeah... I'm at it again. *drool* They're so CUTE! And so happy to be together doing this!!!! The sun has come out :D

sample

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength." – Theodore Roosevelt

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 74 (395 views)
Shortcut
You can tell, right!? [In reply to] Can't Post

When I worked behind the stage at one of our ORCs, I was standing right there when Sean and Elijah met up... and they were nothing but hugs and excitement! It's very real :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 4:53pm

Post #8 of 74 (395 views)
Shortcut
The flowers are awake! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have a lot of flowers/plants outside your porch? I'll bet it's wonderful to sit and enjoy that special space this time of the year :) I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 5:00pm

Post #9 of 74 (396 views)
Shortcut
Strawberries are a must! [In reply to] Can't Post

Strawberries, blueberries, and bananas are among my favorites to include then lots and lots of whipped cream. B.G. impressed me when he first made one for me by whipping the cream fresh by hand (at the time, I would have just come home from the grocery store with a tub of the 'fake' stuff Shocked).

Our volunteer rose bush is just at the end of it's 1x summer bloom. It's one of those things that just appear in your yard that was actually welcome, lol. Best of all, it has the most lovely red rosehips on it through the fall and most of the winter. It is a beast, though, and requires regular pruning in the Spring (which I just reminded my self of when I went out to check on it and it's bigger than I am - again!

I used to love the azaleas and rhododendron when I lived in Texas - and the bluebonnets in the spring! Enjoy the colorful view!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 74 (394 views)
Shortcut
We have birds galore! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hummingbirds at the nectar and fuchsia, goldfinches and wrens and cardinals and orioles at the feeders. Baby squirrels trying to figure out what the furniture on the deck is. A tom bringing his hens to feed (later they'll bring the turkey chicks). The back yard has purple catmint and lots of green-and-white hostas which will bloom later in summer; the front yard has those rhododendron which must be 20' tall, I love 'em!

We used to live where the soil was sandy, and I'd planted a beach plum. Loved its fragrance - wish I could grow it here!

Did you have to dig up any plants to get the yard re-done at your house?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5, 5:15pm

Post #11 of 74 (393 views)
Shortcut
B.G. knows what the best stuff is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing can compare with fresh-whipped heavy cream. Smile

You have a monster rose bush! Laugh It's obviously very happy where it is. The rosehips stay through most of the winter? That's a very hardy plant!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 7:56pm

Post #12 of 74 (384 views)
Shortcut
*still swooning* [In reply to] Can't Post

ok... I'm going to have to watch it at least 17 times (one for each box) just to watch each person's reaction to what is going on. I wish they'd sell this on dvd. I'd put it right in there with my EEDVDs. Billy killed me with his last part. And Sean A... We're so lucky!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5, 8:15pm

Post #13 of 74 (386 views)
Shortcut
Heavenly... so nice.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You could just sit there all day and night and just drink it all in. I'm so happy you guys have that retreat :) Do you make your own hummingbird nectar? I use 1/4 cup granulated sugar to 1 cup hot water (to dilute). I have at least 2 families of hummingbirds for years that fight over my feeder all the time! A 4 to 1 mix. The wild canaries and Baltimore Orioles love it, too.

The only thing I dug up was the sod that I transplanted over the place where I cleared the old dirt pile from the RR ties. I did move some white daisies growing in the yard to that space, too. Just a few... so far :)

Can you dig a deep, large hole and fill it with the proper sandy dirt for your beach plum? Creating a mini-ecological garden? I did that once years ago (before this home), and it worked! The roots that grew out from the soil transplant adapted and kept growing.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 5, 8:17pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jun 5, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 74 (376 views)
Shortcut
Did somebody say *trifle*? [In reply to] Can't Post

Evening All! Has to be raspberries in a trifle for me - that's the best fruit, with sharpness to complement the richness of jelly and cream. It's what I grew up with anyway - my Mum used to make a fantastic trifle at Christmas in a big cut glass bowl.
I like the look of that beach plum - snag is, my next-door neighbour has an overgrown and unfruitful plum tree - a cooker I think - right by my hedge and it's suckering all over my garden! Furthest shoot from the parent tree is 12 yards away. Sheesh.... No idea what to do about it. I have feeling that if the parent tree was dealt with, it'd be a bit of an Obi Wan Kenobi situation - 'if you cut me down I will only become more powerful' (or something?) ! We had some rain at last - could do with more, to give the ground a proper soaking, but I'm grateful for what we had.
Have a good weekend, all - and stay safe!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 10:46pm

Post #15 of 74 (369 views)
Shortcut
Raspberries are awesome too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the Christmas trifle a raspberry one?

Too funny about the sucker plums. We have those from a type of birch tree one of our neighbors have that if I didn't cut them down would grow to 40 to 50 feet tall. Of course, like you implied, they never really go away, just grow back to be cut down another day. Unsure

Enjoy the weekend, GH!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 11:15pm

Post #16 of 74 (369 views)
Shortcut
The continuous delight from Elijah is itself a delight. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

(I've watched it twice - the quickest 50 minutes ever.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5, 11:21pm

Post #17 of 74 (370 views)
Shortcut
A virtual BBQ [In reply to] Can't Post

would be rather nice, as the real ones won't be an option for the next few months :) Definitely wintry now, and we've had the fire going most days. Plenty of rain, too - it would have been more useful earlier, when the soil was still warm, but the topping up of water reservoirs is most welcome.

We're celebrating two weeks of NO NEW CASES! We'll almost certainly go to Level 1 next week, which will see the lifting of the remaining social distancing requirements. The borders will remain closed for the foreseeable future, but other than that (rather large exception though it is), things are returning to a sort-of new normal.

We went to our favourite cafe for the first time since lockdown began, and were welcomed back warmly. They even remembered our usual order :) They've moved out c 1/3 of their tables to maintain social distancing, but I expect they'll be moving them back next week, and it'll have its familiar buzz again.

No trifle here, but Mr Kimi is making crème brûlée for tonight's dessert. Looking forward to that!

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 11:22pm

Post #18 of 74 (369 views)
Shortcut
I think we're finally getting into a properly cold season. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might even need to break out the winter duvet. The South Island is getting snow this weekend but I don't know if it'll come up north yet.

On Monday we'll find out if we might just drop down to Covid Alert Level 1 next week, which would mean life pretty much returning to normal (expect our international borders would still be closed). I'm looking forward to getting back to the workplace just so that I can enjoy returning *home* afterward - make home more special rather than a constant.

I'd like to raise a glass of bubbles to my US TORNsibs and relatives: may you stay safe and find community and support in the people around you. Heart

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 11:27pm

Post #19 of 74 (365 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We went to our favourite cafe for the first time since lockdown began, and were welcomed back warmly. They even remembered our usual order :)

How wonderful that you're getting back into your usual routine! You feel more like yourself, don't you?

I'm meeting up with a couple of friends for lunch today at one of our favourite eateries on the waterfront - I'm really looking forward to it as I haven't been able to see them in person for at least three months. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 11:32pm

Post #20 of 74 (368 views)
Shortcut
Progress! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like everything is definitely moving in the right direction there. How fun to get to go to the cafe! I bet you missed them as much as they missed you. What's your favorite order?

We had planned to visit the South Island early next year, so we have our fingers crossed that things open up by then. However, lots of other ducks have to line up in a perfect row to get us there (via Hawaii and Australia - each with their own set of restrictions) that we're not holding our breath.

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend, and enjoy the creme brulee! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 5, 11:39pm

Post #21 of 74 (361 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed! [In reply to] Can't Post

..that you get to go to Level 1 next week!

i hear you about coming home from work. The nice drives through rural areas is what I miss. I have some work coming up this month and need to check to see if we'll even be meeting at the client's office. Last I heard they're all working from home, so it may all be done online.

*echos your toast* Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6, 12:20am

Post #22 of 74 (357 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's the fomula! [In reply to] Can't Post

They do love that sugar-water - gives them plenty of energy for flying! Fascinating lovely little things, they are.

Do you have wild canaries there? Are they descendants of pet canaries which managed to escape?

I wonder if that would work here, creating a sandy soil hole! Thanks for the idea, gramma, I'm going to look into that!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6, 12:26am

Post #23 of 74 (352 views)
Shortcut
What a pain, the suckers are! [In reply to] Can't Post

All I can think of, is mowing them short regularly, but they do make a mess of the lawn.

Beach plum jelly is a local treat. I wonder how it would work, in a trifle, with summer berries...hmm...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6, 12:32am

Post #24 of 74 (354 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a relief it is for you, getting out and around again! Cool

Creme brulee? Lovely! What's the dinner that's to precede it?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6, 12:40am

Post #25 of 74 (351 views)
Shortcut
That's a sure sign of winter [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting out the warmer bed-coverings! We recently removed our bed-quilt, time to wash it and store it in the cedar chest until the autumn.

That's so true about home being special when you work elsewhere. Even the commutes will be enjoyable!

*raises mug of tea* Thank you. Heart

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.